Sign in to follow this  
Barduck

input needed

I'm designing coaches for an 8 wide Santa Fe and I could really use some input on what you guys think so far. I'm going 7 wide with the coaches, so far I've done 2 in LDD, a luggage coach:

31147441323_7e7234d1c4.jpgsanta fe luggage coach 

and a seat coach (no interior yet), with 2 different types of trucks:

31583308380_d678d9867d.jpgsanta fe coach

In this version the trucks are based on a design from Vinnie Fusca.

Second version features trucks based on a design from Michael Gale: 

31921328716_3602008267.jpgsanta fe coach version 2

Here you can see the 2 types of trucks (and I do know that one part doesn't exist in LBG):

31841785731_1867cac878.jpgsanta fe coach trucks options by Barduck12, on Flickr

So thoughts, commenst, etc, all welcome

Edited by Barduck

Looks really nice! Can't wait to see them rolling around :).

As for your question, I personally like the second option the most since this gives me a more solid look.
It has a smaller gap in between the wheels and looks more symmetrical overal, and the construction with the
little chain looks really clever, might have to play around with those chains aswell some time.

I too, prefer the second design, but feel the chain element is a bit much.

I think that for the real-life build of these, you should mix in old grey and/or dark bley parts to give a bit of a weathered look!

Just ensuring credit goes to the right place, the trucks the second design were based on were developed by Matt Csenge.  Michael Gale turned the LDD files into instructions so everyone could build them.

I'm not familiar with the prototypes you're trying to model, but if it helps, the my design was supposed to represent these trucks, while Matt's were to represent these trucks .  It's all pretty abstract, but maybe that will help you better match the look you're trying to achieve.

Have you seen this thread? Similar project and may find some good ideas here to help you out.

4 hours ago, ecmo47 said:

Have you seen this thread? Similar project and may find some good ideas here to help you out.

yes but I don't really like 8 wide for coaches, they always look to bulky for my taste

3 hours ago, Barduck said:

yes but I don't really like 8 wide for coaches, they always look to bulky for my taste

I feel like 7-wide coaches will look awkward with 8-wide locos though... As far as I've ever seen coaches and locomotives are the same width on American railroads. 

I would also recommend testing that second truck design on curves and switches if you intend on using it. I've had issues with trucks that had 9 studs between axles, and from what I can tell yours have 8. The particular issue was that the flanges would catch on the guard rails and frog of switches.

My recent several diesels have had 9 or 11 studs between axles (ignoring the center axle) and they cannot reliably go through standard switches.