eliminator

Technic Licenced Sets (sub-theme?)

I'm in the process of trimming down my Technic collection and was considering keeping only the "licensed" sets as a sub-series (in addition to a handful of my other favorite Technic sets).

It's my understanding that these are the licensed sets, besides the Racers cars from several years back.

-8110 Mercedes Benz Unimog U 400

-42030 Volvo L350L

-42043 Mercedez Benz Arocs 3245

-42053 Volvo EW160E

-42054 Claas Xerion 5000

-42056 Porsche 911 GT3

-42063 BMW R100GS (on release 2017)

Am I forgetting any? Does anyone else collect this sub-theme?

Edited by eliminator

Edit: Nevermind, I see you already mentioned the racer sets.

Edited by Meatman

1 hour ago, XtremeBuilder said:

Didn't LEGO make some Mercedes-Benz Unimogs with technic before the 2000s?

The 8848 and 8854 sets look like Unimogs, but are not called that officially so they are not licenced.

11 hours ago, WvG_853 said:

The 8848 and 8854 sets look like Unimogs, but are not called that officially so they are not licenced.

OK, I guess that TIL something new/old. :tongue:

22 hours ago, Paul Boratko said:

1237 Honda Asimo Robot

$_1.JPG

Yea, saw that set on Brickset. Unfortunately, it has some very rare white parts that make it very expensive to Bricklink. Maybe with future Technic releases the parts will become available.

I'm not going out of my way to get this set right now. Also, I suppose you could even consider the Technic Star Wars sets as "licensed" as well....

7 minutes ago, mzzl88 said:

how about the ferrari series, thinking about the enzo ferrari...?

Technically "Racers" line. Not Technic...despite being made of Technic parts.

There's also Mars Exploration Rover (7471). It isn't branded as Technic, but it is a Technic-like model (like Racers).

7471-1.png

16 hours ago, mzzl88 said:

how about the ferrari series, thinking about the enzo ferrari...?

15 hours ago, eliminator said:

Technically "Racers" line. Not Technic...despite being made of Technic parts.

I kind of disagree to call the Racers line non-Technic only because of the different tags on them. Especially when it comes to the beginning of the studless era in which the most of them were produced.

For example if we compare 2 of the Formula 1 sets – the 8458 “Silver Champion” released in 2000 which has the “Technic” tag and the 8461 “Williams F1 racer” released 2 years later but marked as a “Racers” set, I can´t see any other major difference in classification. Therefore we could consider them both as “licenced” Technic sets, in line with the 8674 Ferrari F1 in the same scale, then the smaller 8386 F1 set and of course the 8145 Fiorano and 8653 Enzo sets.

51EM2Q51EHL._SX466_.jpg

510W1NWDMBL._SX450_.jpg

I´d rather draw the border to the 8157 – another Ferrari F1 set which is brick built only.

Edited by brunojj1

8458 is not a licenced set - it's just a formula one-type car, If 8458 is licenced, then 42000 is licenced too.

8461 is a licenced set - it clearly says it has the Williams licence.

I'd say a set is "licenced" if (and only if) the box, besides the name Lego, bears the name of something owned by a specific company outside Lego. Be it Williams, Unimog, Volvo, Angry Birds, whatever.

You are right, this has nothing to do with Mercedes. Currently I'm building a Silberpfeil of another kind, so maybe that's why I have confused this one :blush:.. Different story with the Ferrari sets anyway which are licensed indeed.

On 28.12.2016 at 6:20 AM, WvG_853 said:

I heard that it was planned to be a licence Mercedes, but both Mercedes and Lego were not able to get into an agreement with it and that is why after all it was called " Power Truck"  

Sure, 8461 can be categorized as a "licensed" set. But one thing I don't like about this set is that it's really just 8458 with Williams stickers. Little to no cooperation between Lego and Williams that is.

Whereas the recent licensed Technic sets involve collaboration between Lego and the companies to make a specific model.

Example 42030: "Get up close to the giant Volvo L350F! Climb aboard the Volvo L350F! Developed in partnership with Volvo Construction Equipment, this meticulously detailed, fully remote-controlled model has all the features of Volvo’s largest real-life high-tech wheel loader."