Sign in to follow this  
Dreamweb

"Kings And Queens Of The Sea"

Hello there.

I'd like to introduce you to a comic series I've been working on for some time.

00.jpg

I came up with the idea as early as spring 2006. At that time I only wrote some script fragments, took a few pictures but didn't feel up to continuing the whole thing. I returned to it in spring 2007, when I took some more pictures and wrote some more dialogues. Since then I returned to the project every now and then, and now I feel it's time to show you the first results.

I don't really need to tell you what the story is about and who the characters are, as it is all revealed as the story goes on. Let's just say for now that it's about en Englishman named Micheal Calloway who, after many years of preparation and saving money, has purchased a ship and can finally make his lifetime's dream come true. And that dream is simple - to explore the ocean, discover new lands, genarally - to see what lies beyond the horizon. Another character is his long time friend, Leonard Garnet, who accompanies him on this bold mission. The ship they're travelling on is a creation of mine which I posted here some time ago - The Valour.

pic01ms6.jpg

That's Mr. Calloway (right) and Mr. Garnet (left).

The story is not put in any specific historical time frame. It begins "some time in the 18th century, somewhere in the Caribbean", but no one knows where it will go after that. The story has no historical accuracy - I mean it does not have any connections to historical facts of that time. Of course it is "period specific" - the main characters travel on a ship with sails, not on a submarine, and it happens on Earth with all its lands and nations - but apart from that it's all pure fiction.

It will also not always be a typical "pirates and sailors" kind of story. In fact, it will sometimes spoof such stories. However, it will of course use mainly pirate Lego MOC's and even one set. :-)

There's one more thing - I don't use any Photoshop effects, computer-generated backgrounds and so on. Just a camera, Lego and MS Paint. I wanted the whole thing to have a "cheap TV series" feel. And perhaps even a "theatrical play" feel. The background is simple - dark blue for water, light blue for sky... It will not look like the title screen showed above - for, you know, it's a title screen so I wanted it to look a bit more fancy. :-) You can also expect a lot of reused images from previous episodes and so on... *sweet* I wanted to concentrate on the story itself rather than on the "special effects". Also, keep in mind that I'm not a skilled photographer.

As I've already mentioned, it IS a series. I'll upload the first episode on Monday, about 9 - 10 pm

Greenwich Mean Time. It will be uploaded to my Brickshelf folder so of course it won't be public instantly. When it is moderated, I'll create a new thread called "Kings And Queens Of The Sea - Episodes" or something like that, where I'll put a link to that episode. The next episode will be uploaded same time next week, and then the week after that and so on... :) Each time I will put a new link in the "Episodes" thread. There might be - and will be - some gaps longer than a week - unfortunately no one is omnipotent :-)

Now that I've explained everything, I really do hope at least some of you will enjoy this comic! I've had a great time working on it so I hope it will be a nice entartainment for some of you! Stay tuned!

Edited by Dreamweb

Well not much to say Dreamweb, except I'm looking forward to reading some more. I'd be lost without MSPaint and it can be pushed creatively to come up with a lot so it will be cool to see how you integrate it into the comic.

Don't rush it, we'll just see it all as it comes.

Now that I've explained everything, I really do hope at least some of you will enjoy this comic! I've had a great time working on it so I hope it will be a nice entartainment for some of you! Stay tuned!

(the title of this thread was supposed to be ""Kings And Queens Of The Sea" - introduction to my pirate Lego comic", can someone please fix that using the subtitle field?)

That's been taken care of.

As I've already mentioned, it IS a series. I'll upload the first episode on Monday, about 9 - 10 pm

Greenwich Mean Time.

How do you plan to release your story Mr Dreamweb?

The upgraded Classic-Pirates.com will have a Stories Page in the Archive section to allow users to display their stories in HTML without having worry the layout restrictions of a thread.

http://www.classic-pirates.com/archive/stories/index.html

for your episodes thread i suggest having something on top that "indexes" all the episodes of the entire thread.

sounds pretty kool.

Looking forward to reading it.

P

for your episodes thread i suggest having something on top that "indexes" all the episodes of the entire thread.

That's exactly what I'm going to do.

The upgraded Classic-Pirates.com will have a Stories Page in the Archive section to allow users to display their stories in HTML without having worry the layout restrictions of a thread.

http://www.class-pirates.com/archive/stories/index.html

This link doesn't seem to work for me.

The story will be published on Brickshelf, each "page" will only have one picture.

And please remember that the first pictures were taken as early as 2006. Since then I've learned to better operate my digital camera, so the quality of pictures will improve as next episodes appear. So please don't be angry at some blurry pictures in the inital episodes - I was still learning back then! :-)

That first picture is definitly cool-looking. :-)

As I've already mentioned, the title picture is an exception. The whole story will not have backgorunds like that. I want it to look simple - no special effects or computer-generated bakgrounds. This may look less attractive, but hey, that's just my artistic conception... :-)

Edited by Dreamweb

This link doesn't seem to work for me.

The server was probably down at the time. I'm not happy with the ISP's reliability at the moment and if they don't improve ASAP I'll be forced to find someone else.

But check again and it should work.

The story will be published on Brickshelf, each "page" will only have one picture.

The other advantage of also hosting the images on Classic-Pirates.com is the Google search engine can find your story.

Another comic, sounds great!!

That first picture is definitly cool-looking. :-)

Cool, but don't we have a comic page for this?? This does seem alot like a comic to me :-P

Yes, good point. I don't know why I had it in my head that this was a story.

The link for comics would be:

http://www.classic-pirates.com/archive/comics/index.html