Sign in to follow this  
Jeffinslaw

Union Pacific City of San Francisco

Hey guys, I'd like to show you my EMD E6A that I built entirely in BrickLink's new design program called stud.io. Over all the program is pretty easy to use. Has a few quirks but not too bad. I absolutely love the renders it produces though. 

The unit is six wide, about 46 or so studs in length and riding on tall-tim slider trucks. I have also added two, somewhat realistic EMD 567 Engines into the unit as well. Let me know what you think! On to the the B units. I plan on doing one A unit + two B units, and about nine or ten cars. 

31571062051_ca1867de95_b.jpgEMD E6A Front by Jeffinslaw, on Flickr

31313928200_a2727a73b3_b.jpgEMD E6A Side by Jeffinslaw, on Flickr

31571061731_8cd5be4ac4_b.jpgEMD E6A Rear by Jeffinslaw, on Flickr

31313928010_c1fe49f0aa_b.jpgEMD E6A Engine by Jeffinslaw, on Flickr

-Jeffinslaw

How are the upper set of fence pieces used as the grills attached to the rest of the loco?

18 minutes ago, Redimus said:

How are the upper set of fence pieces used as the grills attached to the rest of the loco?

Right now they're just floating. I'll have to play around with my bricks when I get home to see if a 1x2 plate with the studs through the "diamonds" will hold them together. If they do, then I can use a dark grey or black to simulate dirty vents.

-Jeffinslaw

My favorite part has to be that motor. The nose is a bit chunky though, but I do like how it does seem to be long enough to be a proper E-series engine.

1 hour ago, Jeffinslaw said:

Right now they're just floating. I'll have to play around with my bricks when I get home to see if a 1x2 plate with the studs through the "diamonds" will hold them together. If they do, then I can use a dark grey or black to simulate dirty vents.

-Jeffinslaw

Yeah, that should work.

58 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

You do some awesome train building. Had a look through your flickr, can't get enough of your Amtrak and GECX. :wub:

Thank you! It's a shame that Amtrak E9 won't ever be built. Building that arrow is impossible as it currently sits. It might be due for an updated render with stud.io though.

49 minutes ago, xboxtravis7992 said:

My favorite part has to be that motor. The nose is a bit chunky though, but I do like how it does seem to be long enough to be a proper E-series engine.

Thanks! I see what you mean... the part with the light could be lowered by a plate or two and it would look much better.

29 minutes ago, Redimus said:

Yeah, that should work.

Great! I thought it would but wasn't sure.

-Jeffinslaw

12 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Very good locomotive and ambitious project! :wub:

About the two floating fences you can use the plate only outside pecause the plate is too large to fit inside the section.

Thank you! I need to post pictures of my completed D&RGW California Zephyr. It's a set of Alco PA + PB + PA and nine car consist. Next one will either be the Union Pacific City of San Francisco or the Great Northern Empire Builder.

Shame about the plate. Oh well, I will find another solution!

10 hours ago, coaster said:

You could put one of these on the inside to hold the fence:

http://brickset.com/parts/614026

That might work as well.

6 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Half pin and hose rigid could be help :classic:

Another good solution! 

-Jeffinslaw