Delta62

Lego and Depression

Hi everyone, long time no see. you probably don't remember me, but i use to be an active member here. Lets just say its been a while since I have posted anything from comments to Lego creations. I guess its easy to say that I suffer from Anxiety and Depression and it really stinks. Though on the bright side, Lego really helps me cope with it and keeps my mind busy and active. But I do admit, it has been a long time since i have build anything due being busy with college and my depression plays a big part of it as well. I just cant seem to get back into building with Lego and its really annoying. How do you get back into it? Because i want to start building again. I miss the world of bricks and that old comfort zone. Does anyone else get the same way or deal with anxiety and depression too?

I can't say that I've ever suffered from depression, but I've found sometimes that it is indeed hard to start building again when there's been a long time between. I have a box of bricks under my bed that I'll take out every once in a while to build with, just random little things or add to some of my projects every once in a while. Or you could find some way to use bricks that sparks your interest? I'm not the most qualified person to answer this question, I would think. 

You are not alone, trust me, I know. One of the many things that makes depression suck big time is that it's an illness that prevents you from enjoying the things you previously enjoyed. it's not that you miss building, it's that you miss being able to enjoy it. Asking how to "get back into it" is basically the same as asking how do I cure depression. The answer to that question would get a nobel prize. Depression is an illness (that is not cured by "cheering up") and not being able to enjoy the things you know you otherwise would is one of it's many many symptoms. You have to fight it, maintain your life and not let the cold get a foothold. Keep active, keep sociable and going out with you friends even when you just want to go to bed, in fact, ESPECIALLY when you just want to go to bed. Keep talking to friends even if it's over the phone. Fill your life with people, don't shut them out. Could be old school friends, whatever. Keep building even if it's only from instructions. Depression ranges from being barely noticeable, to being deadly. It's never a joke. I hope and pray you find it easy, I know how hard it can be, but keep living your life as if you don't have it. I think it's like "curing" a cold. It's not a case of curing it, but a case of looking after and treating the patient (getting out of the cold and into the warm with lots of fluids and good food and so on) until the patient cures itself, in this case with high doses of life and people to be social with. 

I thought I saw a similar thread before -- check this topic:

Even though it has a similar title, that topic is all about building LEGO to combat depression, anxiety, stress, etc.

The fact that you are open to share your condition is a good start because keeping this to yourself alone won't help. Keep yourself surrounded by people that inspire and brighten your day. Join an activity group - maybe a LEGO User Group if you are not yet part of any.  Hope that you will start building again soon! 

I don't know if this is an option for you, but I would suggest trying to find a local LUG that you can join. Or perhaps visit a convention. Having the interaction with other fans can really jump start your inspiration and get you excited to build. I've found that to, especially, be the case when the LUG is having a display coming up that you can participate in. Conventions can be similar.

I had a real lego slump last summer (due to some personal issues) and did not really get back into it until around Halloween when I did a small display for a community event. That gave me the inspiration to start on a bigger project for the next year, which then really got me building (instead of brooding) again.

What part of the US are you in?

Steve

14 minutes ago, Athos said:

I don't know if this is an option for you, but I would suggest trying to find a local LUG that you can join. Or perhaps visit a convention. Having the interaction with other fans can really jump start your inspiration and get you excited to build. I've found that to, especially, be the case when the LUG is having a display coming up that you can participate in. Conventions can be similar.

I had a real lego slump last summer (due to some personal issues) and did not really get back into it until around Halloween when I did a small display for a community event. That gave me the inspiration to start on a bigger project for the next year, which then really got me building (instead of brooding) again.

What part of the US are you in?

Steve

Agree. 

For someone with depression, it is always good to interact with other people. 

And who knows, you could some good friends there :classic:

Most definitely, other people are good! Especially if you can find other people who share your love of building. 

Edited by Elysiumfountain

Another thing I forgot to mention is hanging out with a LUG or other fans can really increase your building interests. For a long time I had no interest in trains or technic, but since getting involved in a LUG and going to conventions, I've gotten into trains and adding movement to MOCs through technic,

Steve

Nice to see im not the only one with the problem and i completely agree about spending time with family and friends as well as with other Lego builders who share the same interests. one of the reasons why i joined this site. I will look into LUG too, sounds interesting even though i don't build trains. but hey, i am open for something out of my comfort zone. As for where I live, I am from the United States and live in Massachusetts if anyone has an interest in Lego who lives near me, feel free to give me a buzz. It would be nice to connect with locals who share the same interest in Lego because I'm the only one in my house that does lol.

I am sure there has to be some kind of club within a couple of hours you. I bet a few google searches or well placed inquiries will net you some AFOLs.

Steve

New England LUG is in Massachusetts. I've yet to join but have thought about it. I met some of the people at Brickfair NE last year. I highly recommend that convention.

On December 17, 2016 at 0:40 PM, Delta62 said:

Nice to see im not the only one with the problem and i completely agree about spending time with family and friends as well as with other Lego builders who share the same interests. one of the reasons why i joined this site. I will look into LUG too, sounds interesting even though i don't build trains. but hey, i am open for something out of my comfort zone. As for where I live, I am from the United States and live in Massachusetts if anyone has an interest in Lego who lives near me, feel free to give me a buzz. It would be nice to connect with locals who share the same interest in Lego because I'm the only one in my house that does lol.

I hear ya, both in depression/anxiety & being the only one into LEGO. I don't build MOC's myself, but maybe just start out building one of your sets to get the ball rolling.

First I hope you get well soon with whatever gives you joy and makes you feel great again. I have suffered on the past of mini dark age episodes due to excessive hours of work and study and yeah sometimes you don't feel that good for even the hobbies you like and love. I would recommend to seek help, hang on more with your family, friends, and well even pets(dogs, birds,) can help too.
Btw I love EB as many people had taken the time to write, suggest or simply give support. Sincerely we hope you can get on the highest on your life again. :)

I can relate to a certain degree, OP, and I am glad that you are sharing your sentiments here. Talking about it is definitely better than keeping it inside. Also, Lego is a great hobby to resort to, because if offers so many options for creativity. So, keep going and try to do what you like to do. I take it from your avatar that you are a Star Wars fan, too? Maybe you'll want to check out the Nar Eurbrikka role play here on EB. It's great fun and lets you combine two great hobbies into one and be creative together with others, not just with building but also with telling and sharing stories. It's not as social as going out and meeting people, but still some good fun nonetheless!

On 15.12.2016 at 4:03 AM, allanp said:

You are not alone, trust me, I know. One of the many things that makes depression suck big time is that it's an illness that prevents you from enjoying the things you previously enjoyed. it's not that you miss building, it's that you miss being able to enjoy it. Asking how to "get back into it" is basically the same as asking how do I cure depression. The answer to that question would get a nobel prize. Depression is an illness (that is not cured by "cheering up") and not being able to enjoy the things you know you otherwise would is one of it's many many symptoms. You have to fight it, maintain your life and not let the cold get a foothold. Keep active, keep sociable and going out with you friends even when you just want to go to bed, in fact, ESPECIALLY when you just want to go to bed. Keep talking to friends even if it's over the phone. Fill your life with people, don't shut them out. Could be old school friends, whatever. Keep building even if it's only from instructions. Depression ranges from being barely noticeable, to being deadly. It's never a joke. I hope and pray you find it easy, I know how hard it can be, but keep living your life as if you don't have it. I think it's like "curing" a cold. It's not a case of curing it, but a case of looking after and treating the patient (getting out of the cold and into the warm with lots of fluids and good food and so on) until the patient cures itself, in this case with high doses of life and people to be social with. 

I think it should be noted that this is a very strong and good post. Reading it, I couldn't help but nod all the way through.

Thanks for listening guys, depression and anxiety isn't fun. im not trying to get people to feel bad for me or doing it for attention, I just want them to know that its out there and your not alone if you suffer from it. I am seeing a therapist and trying out some new medicine to help me too. I recommend people who have this to do that, it really helps. Other than that, ive been doing better than before. Yes, I love star wars, its my life and joy. I've heard about Nar Eurbrikka  though im not a fan of role playing games but ill check it out.  To get myself back into building, just got a Lego speed champions set to get me back into building again. the set caught my interest because i love Ferrari's too. its as close to owning the real thing as I'll ever get lol. I'll check out New England Lug too, sounds interesting.

That sounds good, I am glad to hear that you are better! Yes, check it out, even if you are not into traditional role playing, this is still just some harmless Lego fun after all :classic:

Did you see Rogue One and the new Lego sets? I think the latest wave is pretty amazing, there is so much that I want in it :wub:

haven't seen rouge one yet, might not until this Friday. Yeah, the sets look great and im not sure which one to get lol.

After reading these posts it is safe to say that I to suffer from depression and anxiety, I have sets just sitting here not getting built, I feel there is a wall preventing me from building them, I know it is myself. There is no group around me for at least eight hour drive, so can't do that. I have been a member here for many years now and trying to get ahead of both the anxiety and depression by working with in the sci fi group play Andromedia gates. this has help and it has not, sad but true. I am turning 42 this year, my daughter is going into grade ine and is slowly going into the dark ages of lego which is allowed..my wife whom is not well has no interest in lego at all, just tolerates it with me...I guess I am saying that I am happy that I am not alone and that there are those who help.
regards

Jody Meyer

Depressions ( many diffrent types ) goes from seasonal affective disorders to chronic ones that may require medication. You really should seek some processionnal help to guide you in the right direction.

I think we all go through some though times and some people react differently, be it social, financial or even existential. Just don't keep it all inside, it may very well turn agaisn't you in ways you wouldn't expect. I kept pretty much everything inside since I was 11 years old, which I partially rectified now at 24, because suffering leads to hate, then anger and fear and it literally eats you from the inside, even if you know what you think is rubbish but can't feel any other way. 

I'm not 100% back on track ( socially especially, god ), if I ever was, but I'm a bit more at peace.

I have found that unfortunately, Lego is not at all helpful when dealing with my depression. Lego gives me far to much time to think and thinking is often the enemy when you are feeling down. Does anyone else feel this way?

I have pretty mild anxiety, but heavy with OCD traits. My mind races constantly as I tend to obsess about things. While many people have ADD and can't finish things,  I hyper focus instead, and wont stop in the middle of a project generally.

I find building lego actually clears my head and gives me a task to focus on. Its one of my joys in life that I look forward to. :) Its a healthy outlet for obsession, and fortunately I have several healthy outlets.

What little I know about depression, sometimes a change of scenery (going out) or people (again, going out) can help.

Edited by Criosphynx

But remember, LEGO is just a hobby, and while it might help, it won't solve this by itself

Look for professional help :classic:

On 28.2.2017 at 6:35 AM, Robert8 said:

But remember, LEGO is just a hobby, and while it might help, it won't solve this by itself

Look for professional help :classic:

That's very true. Professional help is a matter of course.

I have also a sufferd from depression since i was a child.

While it surely won't cure it, i have made the experience that playing with lego and being creative in general can help to lessen the effects. It may sound funny, but i found out that actually playing (not building, i mean really playing) actually helped me even more. Of course as a adult, my imagination is not as grand as it was when i was a child, but there are some tricks to get around that (like using dice or a simple sheet paper with ideas). Just don't let other ppls. conventions dictate how to do things. (I hope this makes sense to you. :classic:)

But in the end i think everyone needs to find out what works best.