Sariel

1H2017 Technic video reviews by Sariel

Seems like a fair review- it's a shame as they could have easily made a bit more of this. The city version coming out next year with s brush look like it might be a better option?

not hard to tell how dissapointed you were with this set... 'oh look.. it has a broom and shovel'.. ;)

you'd think they could have at least put a fold down ramp on the trailer, for kids to drive it up onto it..

I think it's a good starter model for those getting into technic - teaching basic studless building techniques.. and more complex than the pull-back vehicles... which are *barely* technic, and should really be in the Racers theme...

IMHO....i am very meh on the sets thus far, i think the bike and search ship are the only ones i will get. I like parts of the small sets....i like the Orange vehicles but meh on the rest. As stated, i think i will just part out and build the bits i want. Also...these small sets seem more aimed at the City theme.

Edited by Richard Dower

Is it my opinion or are you very disappointed with Lego Group this time, and for that reason your reviews are bellow the level of quality that you used to present? 

Edited by AOW

45 minutes ago, AOW said:

your reviews are bellow the level of quality that you used to present? 

I don't know what you mean. Please specify what makes you think their quality is worse.

I guess AOW is trying to say that, this time, the reviews are quite simple compared with the previous one. I suppose that it's related with the few appearances of hamsters :tongue:

@AOW, keep in mind that those sets are not spectacular in looks and functionality, so the review may look simple or worse compared with others where the set deserve it . Also, the Sariel's job is to do a neutral review according to the set features. So it's not a Sariel fault.

Just like Jonfensu said, I can't do too much with a dead simple $30 set that has like three features. Don't expect the review to be on par with e.g. Porsche's review, because the set is nothing like Porsche. And while there may be no hamster, there is a mininuke ;)

6 hours ago, Sariel said:

Just like Jonfensu said, I can't do too much with a dead simple $30 set that has like three features. Don't expect the review to be on par with e.g. Porsche's review, because the set is nothing like Porsche. And while there may be no hamster, there is a mininuke ;) 

All explained - that was what I had in mind. Please note that I did not judged the quality of the video, rather how you aproached to the sets review - but still they were made in very neutral way

I would disagree with the sentiment of 42060 review. I think, Sariel, your point of view is inherently AFOLs view. And you missed sets purpose, target audience and therefore its appeal to its customers, IMO.

Within the price range, you get good looking (my opinion) 2 vehicle set, with cool playability, interesting building, very versatile part pack*) and kids will love that (and be able to afford that).

Kids. Do you, and in general AFOLs, remember kids?

Quite often I have a feeling that dissapointments and criticisms towards LEGO is based on strange notion like it is all about AFOLs. Well, it is not. 

*) great for mocing, moding, c-modeling. Argument about "new parts" cheaper elsewhere is pointless for most of the target audience. Lots of kids either just start with Technic (wouldn't 42060 be great 1st Technic for somebody? I think it would be terrific), or do not have (yet) huge part inventory that "needs upgrading with new parts".

Edited by J_C

I get your point, but I think in terms of pure playability this set simply can't hold a candle to the Container Yard set. Also, if I was a kid, I'm sure loading containers would be way cooler to me than sweeping streets ;)

Edited by Sariel

11 minutes ago, Sariel said:

I get your point, but I think in terms of pure playability this set simply can't hold a candle to the Container Yard set. Also, if I was a kid, I'm sure loading containers would be way cooler to me than sweeping streets ;)

agreed. I think they are both designed mainly with kids on mind. And I think with that in mind, they are both great. 

I think that in general Lego is making their sets as something for KIDS and eventually for AFOLs, such as for example Porsche, where on some interview designers mentioned that they have made certain parts as per AFOL expectations - either this was related to rims or hubs... cannot remember. 

Sariel - for  your reviews we do thank you, and I believe that we all are always waiting for any of yours Review Videos, when it comes to official set. Petty that this time Lego has not send you full H1 2017 sets, why we many never know. Only hoping that H2 will be complete :)

Regards  

3 hours ago, Sariel said:

I can see your point here. I was thinking the same thing as I was watching the review. The Container yYard set appears to have more functionality than the Roadwork Crew set. I guess the part count is similar, but many of the parts in the Roadwork Crew are the track links, which don't really add that much to the set.

I can also understand how one could not be as excited about a 300 piece set compared to a 3,000 piece set. I feel the same way.

One thing I did notice is that all the new sets you reviewed have the new worm gear, nice to have such a nice useful part available in small sets.

@sariel ... Keep up you fine reviews! I have never been disappointed with a review, only disappointed with some sets, but your reviews help me decide what to purchase. Yes, I also enjoy the hamsters, but I also understand why some sets just do not lend themselves to a full hamster review as hamsters may not enjoy all sets enough to tear themselves away from napping and other important hamster activities.

Thanks again,

Andy D

Great review as ever

also for a small set I think this is quite cool - I think my little ones will enjoy buzzing this around and like the way you spin the blades etc 

again this is a good set for technic beginners using some good rotation functions

Th Gyrocopter is a nice little set, (little). The first of the new batch that does not include the new worm gear, oh well, at least the other three have it.

I like the rotor functions, however like you I think the rotors should move when I is rolled on the wheels.

Thanks for all the great reviews, I may not buy them all, but I still enjoy the reviews and I usually learn something from watching.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

They're good reviews, as we've got used to. Great job on all those, thanks for creating them! There are some nice sets, I like the container stacker. I wish it were a seperate set :)

Good to see you touch the app as well in your review. I checked it out, again, and somewhere between now and last time I checked, they updated it to work on my device! Cool!

Looking forward to the other reviews :)

So, a $25 set has 4-wheel steering yet a certain set that costs over 10 times as much doesn't, despite the vehicle being modelled having 4-wheel steering?

LEGO: Call it progress.

3 hours ago, TheMindGarage said:

a certain set that costs over 10 times as much

You mean the one with amazing transmission? ;)

47 minutes ago, Sariel said:

Amazingly, a prototype of that set had 4 wheel steering, but Porsche themselves nixed it for reasons unknown.

22 minutes ago, Saberwing40k said:

Amazingly, a prototype of that set had 4 wheel steering, but Porsche themselves nixed it for reasons unknown.

Guess you can't expect too much from folks who keep putting the engine on the wrong end of the car ;)

42058 and 42059 are coming tomorrow, I would have published them today but I've ran into a little computer trouble.

9 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

Where did you get that info? Just curius.

10 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

I read about that too. I think it was in a car magazine.

10 hours ago, Sariel said:

*splutters "1, 3, 2, 4"*