Version 3

1. Renforced side panels
  2. Updated cockpit
  3. redesigned astromech compartment
  4. reinforced structure and frame in fuselage

My X-Wing Studio Gallery and Download Page

or try

My Bricksafe X-Wing Version 3 Download Page

49381309931_731f21f7b2_c.jpgT-65 Incom X-Wing Version 3 by Chris Ehnot, on Flickr

49381505622_3fccbdde48_c.jpgT-65 Incom X-Wing Version 3 by Chris Ehnot, on Flickr

49381505897_df044f2025_c.jpgT-65 Incom X-Wing Version 3 by Chris Ehnot, on Flickr

49381311286_43936548e5_c.jpgT-65 Incom X-Wing Version 3 by Chris Ehnot, on Flickr

49381506797_61e2c6f44a_c.jpgT-65 Incom X-Wing Version 3 by Chris Ehnot, on Flickr

49380849998_fdc7e229ff_c.jpgT-65 Incom X-Wing Version 3 by Chris Ehnot, on Flickr

49381507097_d03519b7ef_c.jpgT-65 Incom X-Wing Version 3 by Chris Ehnot, on Flickr

ehnot_T65_Red5_group_011120_a_7.jpg

UPDATE: December 6, 2019
NEW DESIGN: 2019

1. All new fuselage
  2. Updated Gearbox
  3. Updated Engine Design
  4. Display Stand
  5. Updated Landing Gear
  6. New Retractable Landing Gear Option

UPDATE: December 5, 2019 Finalized the design. See page 6. 

UPDATE: December 4, 2019

Finished a new digital rendering with stronger wings and a better working gearbox. Added a new nose and incorporated a streamlined fuselage made of panels instead of tiles. See page 6. 

Final photos will come once i have the parts and build the new model. I will update the white x-wing and make it a newer model. Maybe turn it into a new Red 1. The gray model will serve as Red 5. 

OLD DESIGN: 2016-2018
ehnot_T65_121016_hero.png

With all the beautiful X-Wings out there how could I even begin to consider putting up another one? I gathered Gray Mouser, Inthert, Psiaki, and dmaclego ideas and fortunately Gray, Psaiki and Inthert had instructions on how they mastered their structures. My adventurer began as I saw Gray mold his own version out of Inthert's beautiful design. The largest question in my mind was how could I modify Mouser's design to fit the correct height and shape of the Fuselage and cockpit to ILM's officially licensed EFX model. I then got specs from Nexus Models on how he was able to grab the original parts from various out of production models in which ILM originally kit bashed into making their X-Wings for A New Hope.

The goal was simple, modify Mouser's design into a nice profile shot for the main fuselage body. The hardship and difficulty in doing so made me rethink how the nose and body held together with LEGO bricks. After 50 hours or so I ended up with a gutted shell and parts that I scrapped entirely. I decided to keep a nod to all that was before me and build my version with the intention that the shape had to represent the ILM model. 

Nose:
The nose is quite similar to those before, but modified inside to attach to the body so it no longer hangs. 

Tube: 
The tube going to the cockpit had to be strong enough and able to withstand the attached sides that make up the outer skin.

x_wing_progress_shape2.jpg

x_wing_shape.jpg

Cockpit: Bring back some of the angles from the model. I wish LEGO made a canopy that actually curved the correct way. We all do. I am planning on making my own by fusing canopy pieces together and using my old modeling tools. For the time being, the slope in the back (45 degree) angle will work for now, but I want it to come forward 1 peg to where his helmet is. I also want to stretch out the canopy 1 peg towards the front, making it 8 bricks long. Right now, I built my model to fit both. 

Astromech:
Technicaly R2 should be half a brick back, but that minor detail would screw a ton of other stuff up. 

I included 2 tops for the fuselage. One more for display, the other with the ability to hold an entire astromech droid with its legs.

ehnot_T65_canopy_01.jpg

Motor/Crank
Wing attachments: Everybody used a 6 or 7 brick long gap to hold the wings in the fuselage body. The model cutout called for a 8 brick long gap. This worked out better since I needed the space to house my gears. I decided to run the gear towards the back since the actual model and cross section models all claim that is where the main X-wing motor is. Makes sense. I decided to use the same. 

Wings: The engines needed to be 1 plate longer in the front and this gave me more space to fix some internal strength issues.

Landing Gear: 
Included in the LDD. If you wan to gut out the bottom inside the engine you could actually house the landing gear in it. I did it but didn't like it. 
You can also gut out the front where the landing gear goes behind the nose. I tried it with a simple few minutes and it works, but be warned. This compromises the structure holding the nose. 

Belly:
I hate that there isn't enough angle, pieces. The curved bottom should be straight and I think LEGO needs a 2 plate height line of slopes. From 2x2, 2x3, 2x4, etc. 
x_wing_progress_21_web.jpg

Cargo Bay: I made it able to hold a few brick boxes. The Hasbro toy and may lego toys place a small cargo hold behind the chair. My thought is, they didn't want to gut out the bottom to place the cargo bay where its suppose to be, where the slope is under R2. I decided to make the cross section accurate and keep the cockpit with the life support in-between the pilot and R2. 

Cross Section Details:
I loved Inthert's concept of showing internal components. Having the cross section model in front of me I decided to do the same, but this time making it closer to Lucasfilm's version. I decided to take out stuff that didn't affect the strength of it and make cross section parts. The nose has some details as seen in the official Star Wars X-Wing Cross Section, the tube and cockpit has approximately the same sorta internal components. I also added details in the laser tubes, wing engines and such to make sure the cross section was accurate to my model's ability. 

ehnot_T65_121016_internal_02.png

ehnot_T65_121016_internal_01.png
Colors:
I love buying new parts, but this projects begs for used and old parts. The more weathered the better. I also indicated in several of my LDD model old gray and old dark gray to add to the texture. I think the yellowed and random off white shades mixed with the light bluish gray, dark bluish gray, gray and dark gray will really enhance the piece. 

Printed parts and stickers:
I may cover some of the stripes area up with white sticker sheet extras to make the striped thinner and more accurate. I plan on decorating the cockpit out with LEGO star war stickers from other kits. I found some cool button patterns i can cut into shapes for the cockpit. We have more than a decade of Star Wars LEGO sets to choose from. so many options for buttons! 

Strings and Bands:
Just like Inthert, I love the idea of adding extra depth to the piece. I want to try his idea of bands and string to get wires and tubes in there.

Baseplate: Since the ship is about 49-50 bricks long I think I will create a small diorama hanger on a 32x32 or 48x48 baseplate. Have not decided whether I want to do a hanger or prop it up and have it fly over the Death Star trench. I want to build one of the great Tie-Fighters I see on here and definitely plan on doing a Trench for that. 

Edited by cehnot
Add Photo and new Download link

Nice read. I enjoy hearing others talk about their methods and especially when reference material is involved as accuracy is something I also like to see achieved. There are some very well done parts to this model, the angles forward of the cockpit on the fuselage are pretty good.

dmaclego did a fantastic job on the laser cannons. I like how he explained his method of inserting tubes into the wheel wells to attach them together with the technic gear. I think I will do this in my final model and use the football facemask he used to curve out the front a bit. 

I wish I could have used Gray Mouser's idea of an angled bottom the gently slopes up to the nose, but after much trial and error, I found that weakened the whole structure too much.

4 hours ago, All in the Reflexes said:

This is a really nice XWing, the front fuselage and nose angles where most models fall short look spot on, great work :)

I appreciate the comment. I think this will look great with the most recent Tie Fighter people have posted. Looking forward to seeing the LDD if you get the chance on that mining scale T-70. 

Edited by cehnot

I just saw Inthert's awesome instructions for his newer X-Wing build and I must say it is quite impressive to see how he did the engines. I may use his front engine details intake idea. Currently I am using the Technic disc 2958 part. I love how he connected the engine front without using a technic pin, which is what I was struggling with. The use of a round 2x2 plate with 1 pin hole was my most exciting part, then he used rubber wheels in the part to help give it definition. I think this X-Wing will be modified when I build it. I got to see what parts I have first. 

YESSS! Finally somebody got the a canopy's lower angle right. It only took what, 39 years? Bravo!

(The factory canopy piece is still not perfect for the job though)

I am also grateful for the effort from everyone involved in the evolution of the X-Wing here on the forum. Thank you Gray Mouser, Inthert, Psiaki, and dmaclego!

Edited by Tyutyu

Cehnot, this is brilliant. You have gone all-out for accuracy to the studio model, and I greatly appreciate it.

I'm especially impressed with the shape of the forward fuselage - It actually beats Inthert's solution for the T-65 (although his is spot-on for the T-70).

THANK YOU for sharing this LXF file - I plan to study it most closely and use some parts of it in my own model. You may even have persuaded me to use the TLG canopy...

Have you had a chance to build any of this in real bricks yet? I'd be very interested to know how strong and sturdy it is.

.I'm gathering my pieces to see what I have first. then BL the rest. I just got my final custom aluminum parts from Chrome City for a car that I plan on sharing in the next week. accuracy is my goal in all my builds I post. The most expensive one I have done is the firehouse and I am working on the instructions for that one. it's taking forever to do and I wish I grouped items in the LDD months ago. that learning experience is why my X-Wing is subgrouped and has everything you need to make a proper instruction. I tested out the new mac blueprint and it seems to have worked great. 

As for the canopy, I wish I knew somebody at LDraw or elsewhere and have them render one and see if somebody is able to make it like brickforge. I think having them craft one that slopes the opposite direction like the real thing would be great. ideally I need it to start at 2 bricks wide at the front and go to 4 bricks at the hatch. this would probably be about 5 or 6 bricks long. I would have the top end at 3 bricks wide. the back part could be the same piece, but I thought it would be nice to have it made separately or 1 piece that you can place on a model like a large modified brick. 

4 hours ago, ScottishDave said:

Cehnot, this is brilliant. You have gone all-out for accuracy to the studio model, and I greatly appreciate it.

I'm especially impressed with the shape of the forward fuselage - It actually beats Inthert's solution for the T-65 (although his is spot-on for the T-70).

THANK YOU for sharing this LXF file - I plan to study it most closely and use some parts of it in my own model. You may even have persuaded me to use the TLG canopy...

Have you had a chance to build any of this in real bricks yet? I'd be very interested to know how strong and sturdy it is.

This is one nice X-Wing !!!

I can't belive that you were able to pull off most of the angles and shapes, the whole fusilage is brilliant !!!, my only issue (and this is nitpicking tbh) is the shaping of the nose idk what's with it that bothers me....

But anyways... Brilliant job here mate :)

2 hours ago, FTG Prime said:

This is one nice X-Wing !!!

I can't belive that you were able to pull off most of the angles and shapes, the whole fusilage is brilliant !!!, my only issue (and this is nitpicking tbh) is the shaping of the nose idk what's with it that bothers me....

But anyways... Brilliant job here mate :)

Well the bottom has a 1x2 plate with 1 stud missing. That I assume will be a tight squeeze in place. The second reason may be the fact that the nose doesn't curve down to the bottom on its profile like th real image. Ideally there should be a a 5 stud long curved slope on the bottom instead of a 4 stud one. 

14 hours ago, MilkPls69 said:

Gosh now that we have the perfect X-Wing we need a fantastically open source millennium falcon.

I wouldn't say it is perfect. There are a few things I couldn't get right once I added the gear system. I have a non gear system version based on my Mouser Upgrade wings. Just PM me if you want that version, its more accurate on the back of the fuselage. 

Thanks everybody for the support. Part 2 is building the thing and testing it. 

Check the first post for updated LDD:

I got a request to share the Mouser canopy and wings without gear system. As you can see, I had to drop the mining down 1 block and remove the seat. I am sure you can modify the compartment behind him to make room for a 2 brick high slope or something else. I simply did not keep my first few rounds of changes when I was working on the canopy area to solve it. I am sure you can add a angle plate or something unique to the project and get Gray Mouser's canopy to work. 

For anything in the LDD to work, just select all and drag and drop into place. All my future LDD files will include this feature for alternative build modes, including my new Delorean coming later this week. Need to finish grouping everything and upload that. That hot mess will be entirely made of Aluminum/Metal parts from Chrome Block City. 

Edited by cehnot

I check brickiest every now and then for new parts.

May be available now, but if you want to modify my X-Wing Canopy to make Mouser's conversion without the canopy windscreen, I suggest using this to get that backwards upward angle in my cockpit area. 

Brickset 2x2 Angle

6176240.jpg

I just love it ! I can't wait to know how it will be in terms of strenght and swooshability ! I'm looking for strong and accurate models to build, because I want them to be used as display models but also as toys ;)
If you're looking for a TIE Fighter design, I made one a few weeks ago. I will send you the LDD file with pleasure ;)

Ramses25

4 hours ago, All in the Reflexes said:

Which was a modification of my canopy mod :laugh:

I think we can all say this project sorta became it's own bible verse. who begot who. I would rather see one of you guys make that canopy better since I like acrylic windshields. I am building my own using extra larger clear canopy from ucs xwing and retooling it to minifig scale. then cut the ucs sticker sheet for the canopy into the correct minifig scale. that should cover my cuts and glue. hopefully this works. then I may be able to glue on a hinge. 

3 hours ago, Ramses25 said:

I just love it ! I can't wait to know how it will be in terms of strenght and swooshability ! I'm looking for strong and accurate models to build, because I want them to be used as display models but also as toys ;)
If you're looking for a TIE Fighter design, I made one a few weeks ago. I will send you the LDD file with pleasure ;)

Ramses25

I began to gather up pieces and maybe have that final count by weekend or so and order parts before Christmas. 

I do not plan on designing or modifying tie fighters so the fact that you have a series of them already fixed would be an honor to use. they look like they would fit the scale I did. now if somebody makes a ucs millennium falcon with full interior in LDD I would be doing that as well. I seen some awesome custom builds, but never any LDD files. my guess it would have more pieces than my ghostbusters firehouse (approx 14,000). 

1 hour ago, cehnot said:

I do not plan on designing or modifying tie fighters so the fact that you have a series of them already fixed would be an honor to use. they look like they would fit the scale I did.

I edited my own TIE topic with links to the LDD files. Feel free to use them ! :)

Ramses25

6 hours ago, Ramses25 said:

I edited my own TIE topic with links to the LDD files. Feel free to use them ! :)

Ramses25

thanks. I am downloading them now.