shineyu

Started to create CATERPILLAR 6120B in Technic figure scale

Hello, 

I started to create a monster mining shovel: Caterpillar 6120B, it is really huge but i believe it must difficult to do with Lego bricks. do you have any suggestion for me???

now i working on large turntable and track. if you have any suggestion please give me, many thanks

15401120_10155521925594097_4839720167927

15327384_10155521925574097_1975544335551

15337462_10155521924669097_2784395058481

15355611_10155521925039097_2806386103727

15055651_10155521925454097_7140039483457

15268053_10155521925624097_8808752778175

15337584_10155521925544097_1660656366787

Well, that is really frighteningly big. Good luck.

Although, you might be at the right scale to use hailfire droid wheels as your turntable. Also, you might want to look up Beat Felber's rope shovel, if anything that would be bigger than your thing, and help you by way of showing an example of a large build done right.

It is a nice machine :sweet: , you will need bigger wheels and strong cylinders. For wheels the 35 or even 42 gear tooth samsonite will fit and for cylinders anyone built with Lego there are big ones and they are stronger. Good luck.

743.gif

744.gif

Now this is a project to follow :wink: 

I like your turntable idea, might consider it for the 42055 mod

Great idea.  I will follow as well.  Couple of things....

-- -although certainly aspirational....if things become too heavy for Lego bricks you may want to leave yourself open to third party elements.  I have paid attention to some of your other projects and I know you use third party tires.  So hopefully, if it comes down to it.... third party elements might have to be used.  Not saying they will.... but if you spend tons of time on this project and are really stuck at some point because of the inherent limitations of ABS, you may want to consider third party elements.....

-- THe turnable looks great, however, although you have some spacing on the "bearings" (round 1x1 tiles) they may bind.  If so, consider lube.  When weight is on the turnable, I will be interested to see if your configuration with the tiles as bearings works.....

I'm not sure about the worm gear drive system, that may cause lots of friction, maybe some more reduction prior to the worm gears, so less strain on them.

Another thing that occurred to me is those tiles are incredibly fragile. they often are either already broken  out of the package or break upon first application. it would really stink to build the thing and have one break in the inside of the tracks.  it would gum up the whole turntable.  

Just now, nerdsforprez said:

...those tiles are incredibly fragile. they often are either already broken  out of the package or break upon first application.

Hmm, I have few dozens of them in several colors and not a single one broke. All of them were used normally (not as a roll bearing in turntable), and never broke them during normal use.

I would find it hard to see why one of the 1 x1 round tiles would break, as the load is being distributed among so many. If anything, there may be some wear under use, but this will be replicated across all the tiles.  Great idea though, and it is nice to see the use of the curved rack piece starting to develop into other applications.

Very interesting project, you will probably want to lubricate the turntable. The 1x1 round tiles should be OK as long as you don't use the transparent ones - I could see those cracking faster, as mentioned by @nerdsforprez

Hello everyone, thanks for give me suggestions, now i going to stage two, i will update photos soon. 

15 hours ago, Milan said:

Hmm, I have few dozens of them in several colors and not a single one broke. All of them were used normally (not as a roll bearing in turntable), and never broke them during normal use.

Perhaps I got a bad batch?  Dunno.  I do remember a conversation about these tiles though, I think, but am not sure, on BL years ago.  When around Christmas time they allowed PAB cups in the stores as part of a promotion.  In the US they had these pieces all over the place and people were getting them in droves.  Perhaps it was because they were in bins and so many people were rummaging through them, but there were many complaints of these breaking. 

13 hours ago, trekman said:

I would find it hard to see why one of the 1 x1 round tiles would break, as the load is being distributed among so many. If anything, there may be some wear under use, but this will be replicated across all the tiles.  Great idea though, and it is nice to see the use of the curved rack piece starting to develop into other applications.

I think you are mostly right.  Dispersed across so many should make it work.  However, the reason for my caution is that even though the turnable is huge, I still think there will be some bobbing back and forth as this thing more, functions, or places any weight in the bucket.  As it does so the weight will not be evenly dispersed, and the weight on front versus back etc. tiles will increase/decrease big time if there is bobbing.

Probably everything will work great.  I hope it does.  Just would definitely take the turnable design, just like it is shown in the pictures above, and throw a bunch of weight on top of it, like the OP has done with the rest of the chassis, just to make sure there is no breaking/cracking.  If the whole thing gets built, and begins functioning great, but has one of those tiles break --- that will really stink. 

@shineyu - Excited to see stage two!