Hinckley

Expand the Winter Village Contest VII

winter_village_6_poster.jpg

Days are getting shorter, snow is falling...in the Northern Hemisphere anyway... the Holiday Season is approaching and that means it is time for an annual tradition in the Town forum. TLG brought us a long–awaited Holiday Train this year! The Village itself, however, is lacking in new commercial or residential space so now it's up to you! Entries can be a building, public space, amusement park ride, train or anything you can think of that would fit in a Winter Village. Winter–themed sets don't need to stick to Christmas either, so represent the holidays you celebrate in Winter. We're all looking forward to seeing your unique creations to add to the Winter Village!

The Rules

• Entries must be posted by midnight GMT, January 15th, 2017.
  • One entry per member.
  • Entries must be similar in size to an official release LEGO Winter Village set.
  • Entries should be either Town-themed or Friends-themed and may include either (or both) Minifigs and Minidolls.
  • Entries should be new (never posted anywhere previously) and be similar in style to the previous official TLG releases.
  • All entries are to include only real LEGO. No clone brands, 3rd party parts, or digital entries allowed.
  • Decals will be allowed if you've made them yourself, but no cutting, sculpting or modifying parts.
  • Entries are to be placed in their own entry topic in the Town forum. The title of the topic should begin with "Winter Village: " and then give the name of the entry.
  • The entry post (first post in your entry topic) may be edited at any time up to the end of the contest, so feel free to make improvements if you wish.
  • Entries are to consist of no more than 5 posted pictures of 1024x768 pixels or smaller resolution but may also include a link to a folder of additional images of any size. The first picture will be used for your entry in the voting thread.
  • Photos of your creation can be manipulated with Photoshop for levels, proportions and color correction but may not include graphic enhancements.
  • We reserve the right to disqualify any entry that does not follow these rules.

The Prizes

There are three available prizes. First place will choose their preference. Second place will choose between the remaining two sets and third place will receive the remaining set.

10254-1.png

10254 Holiday Train

10249-1.jpeg

10249 Winter Toy Shop

10245-1.jpeg

10245 Santa's Workshop

For Inspiration and Reference

Expand the Winter Village Contest VI: Winners | Entries and Voting | Rules and Discussion

Expand the Winter Village Contest V: Winners | Entries and Voting | Rules and Discussion

Expand the Winter Village Contest IV: Winners | Entries and Voting | Rules and Discussion

Expand the Winter Village Contest III: Winners | Entries and Voting | Rules and Discussion

Expand the Winter Village Contest II: Winners | Entries and Voting | Rules and Discussion

Expand the Winter Village Contest: Winners | Entries and Voting | Rules and Discussion

Best of luck everyone, we're looking forward to seeing your entries!

Summer down here in NZ but who cares! love this contest!

This year we will be a bit lax on the rule that the entry must be created before the start of the contest seeing as we got a late start this year. Keep in mind, though, that you still have six weeks to build something new and only MOCs that were posted on Eurobricks will be considered for an exception to the entry rule. Thank you. :thumbup:

22 minutes ago, Legonardo said:

Summer down here in NZ but who cares! love this contest!

Yes, that is acknowledged in the contest description but thank you for being about the 1000th person to remind us all that the Southern Hemisphere has opposite seasons every time this contest or a new season skin is introduced for the site. :tongue:

1 hour ago, Hinckley said:

Yes, that is acknowledged in the contest description but thank you for being about the 1000th person to remind us all that the Southern Hemisphere has opposite seasons every time this contest or a new season skin is introduced for the site. :tongue:

No problem mate, just lending a helping hand where I can :laugh:
Yeah you probably get that a lot don't you... I'll shut up and build :tongue:

6 minutes ago, Legonardo said:

No problem mate, just lending a helping hand where I can :laugh:
Yeah you probably get that a lot don't you... I'll shut up and build :tongue:

:laugh: All good. :thumbup: Have fun building.

5 hours ago, Hinckley said:

If you need another helping hand, just let me know. :tongue: I live down south too :classic:

Hopefully there will be more consistent attempts to follow the size/style-of-official-winter-village-sets rule as some previous winners have been nothing at all like official sets. While many of these submissions were amazing (like the German christmas pyramid that took 2nd place last year), it did not seem like they should have been allowed as they had nothing to do with "expanding the winter village."

Hopefully I can find time for an entry this year!  I have been meaning to enter this contest for the last 2 years! :grin:

23 hours ago, Brickmaestro said:

Hopefully there will be more consistent attempts to follow the size/style-of-official-winter-village-sets rule as some previous winners have been nothing at all like official sets. While many of these submissions were amazing (like the German christmas pyramid that took 2nd place last year), it did not seem like they should have been allowed as they had nothing to do with "expanding the winter village."

Is this a complaint or a hope?

10 hours ago, Hinckley said:

Is this a complaint or a hope?

Probably a little bit of both. I was a little disappointed the Cider Mill and Creamery from last year didn't get prizes. They were both brilliant designs and were pushed out of the top three by a couple entries that didn't seem to align with the stated rules very well. Regardless, I'm always amazed by what people can come up with for these contests and the Brewery and German Christmas Pyramid were both fantastic creations as well. Good luck to everyone.

Hooray! So glad this contest is happening after all.  I always enjoy building something for it and seeing everyone's creative ideas.

Brickmaestro - I do agree. It seems some wonderful looking builds get chosen even though they don't fall within the rules. I guess it depends on how strict you want the moderator to be regarding entries. I haven't participated for a while because I felt like too many people were winning that weren't building in the style of the contest. Maybe I'll try my hand again. I highly doubt I would get any votes since I keep mine as close to official LEGO standards as I can and that doesn't seem to win. (Or maybe my builds just suck).

Either way, it is welcome to have this yearly tradition back again and I can't wait to see what people bring to the table. Especially after all these years, it is interesting to see the new and different creations since so much has already been done.

3 minutes ago, TheLegoDr said:

official LEGO standards

Where would one find official standards for the Winter Village line?  I haven't seen it myself and would be very interested.

On 12/7/2016 at 4:30 PM, Marishka said:

I have only elves sets, is it okay if my building will be some way elven-stylized? :)

The theme is "Expand the Winter Village" so the aim is for your entry to fit in that aesthetic (i.e. City/ Friends/ CREATOR houses/ Trains most broadly) as this is primarily a Town Forum competition. LEGO bricks are LEGO bricks, no matter what sets they come from, so have fun and get creative! :wink: 

On 12/8/2016 at 6:22 PM, Brickmaestro said:

Probably a little bit of both. I was a little disappointed the Cider Mill and Creamery from last year didn't get prizes. They were both brilliant designs and were pushed out of the top three by a couple entries that didn't seem to align with the stated rules very well. 

On 12/9/2016 at 3:49 PM, TheLegoDr said:

Brickmaestro - I do agree. It seems some wonderful looking builds get chosen even though they don't fall within the rules. I guess it depends on how strict you want the moderator to be regarding entries. I haven't participated for a while because I felt like too many people were winning that weren't building in the style of the contest.

I would like to remind everyone that the winners of this contest are voted for by Eurobricks members themselves, so if you want a particular entry to win then vote for it. We want this to be a fun competition, and we don't like the idea of excluding people who are being creative. We rely on the voters to decide "yeah, that fits with the Winter Village, and it's a great MOC, so I'll vote for that" rather than limiting voters' choices. :sweet: 

On 12/30/2016 at 8:51 PM, parsom said:

Can I show my work in other places (e.g. reddit) after I posted it at EB?

Yes, of course, it is your work after all! 

And finally, the prize pool!

There are three available prizes. First place will choose their preference. Second place will choose between the remaining two sets and third place will receive the remaining set.

10254-1.png

10254 Holiday Train

10249-1.jpeg

10249 Winter Toy Shop

10245-1.jpeg

10245 Santa's Workshop

Best of luck to everyone and keep the great entries coming in!

Wish i had the creativity and the bricks to participate. Would love to get the train. Non the less good luck to all and hope to see some new awesome stuff that i can take ideas of to build in the future for my winter village :)