Sign in to follow this  

Heroes, Villains and Legends

A Journey Through the Discoveries of the Age of the Exploration: the Ships; the Captains; the People

Volume Four: The Self-Styled and So-Called Sea Rats

By Quentin Connors

Chapter Thirteen: The Bleak Angel

So it was that after that particular escapade I found myself again in Bastion, de facto capital of the Sea Rats. Unfortunately, I was also distinctly lacking in funds for further voyages to the newer colonies. Indeed, I was worryingly close to longer being able to retain accommodation for myself and storage for my manuscripts.

Forced, as I was, to relocate myself I began to frequent a small tavern near the outskirts of Bastion known as the Lonely Lantern. After a few nights an unusually quiet group entered the tavern. This was a ship's crew, and fortuitously for me they were looking for more recruits.

quentin_01.jpg

bythebar_02.jpg

My enthusiasm was dampened but my curiosity piqued when I heard the captain's name: Leon Dracken. This was the crew of the Bleak Angel, a ship surrounded by all manner of tall and sinister tales. But still, I needed money and transport. Here, now, was a chance for both. After a couple more drinks I introduced myself to the ship's first mate, Alastair Jakes, and we discussed the notion of my joining the crew for a short time.

jakes_01.jpg

To my relief, I was accepted.

handshake_02.jpg

Little did I realise that Captain Dracken had been listening to the conversation.

handshake_03.jpg

To Be Continued...

And a "clean" look at the bar

thebar_01.jpg

Edited by kaiju

Great narrative, Kaiju - very dramatic! And I really like the bar, especially those chairs.

Lastly, who doesn't like something called "Prelude"! :pir-grin: More to look forward to!!

Edited by Bregir

Well, count me in as interested to see where your story goes. :)

It's a nice little interior scene as well.

7 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Nice looking bar, I particularity like the chair design!

Thanks.  The chairs are actually the Elves Starlight Inn chairs with the 2x2 round tiles removed.

6 hours ago, Bregir said:

Great narrative, Kaiju - very dramatic! And I really like the bar, especially those chairs.

Lastly, who doesn't like something called "Prelude"! :pir-grin: More to look forward to!!

Thank you.  I decided I wanted the text for the follow up to be an "In Setting" document so I though a bit of a preamble would help.

3 hours ago, Kwatchi said:

Well, count me in as interested to see where your story goes. :)

It's a nice little interior scene as well.

Thank you.  There's only one post more for this tale, but it will then be followed up by the conclusion of the Heretic's Hoard treasure hunt story.

2 hours ago, Mengish said:

Bastion, the home of all intrigues! Good job!

Well, it is the premiere choice of recruitment ground for ne'ver-do-wells and assorted outcasts.  And thank you.