mouseketeer

Winter Village: Chocolate Factory

Although a Winter Village Contest doesn't seem to have popped up this year There is a Winter Village competition after all!
I decided to spend my afternoon and evening today coming up with my attempt to expand the LEGO Winter Village. I'd been collecting pieces for this for a while, and it finally seemed time to sit down and do something with them! Earlier this year I got the one WV set I was missing (the Post Office), and had the realisation that if I want my Winter Village to keep growing by more than one set a year, I'd have to design some things myself! I've already built a Winter Village Church (https://www.flickr.com/photos/146006635@N03/albums/72157672738224763), now here's my second addition: a Winter Village Chocolate Factory.  

Chocolate

My goal with this was to make it as close to what an official Winter Village set might be, so I made sure to match it in scale and part count to the official sets, and include some supplementary builds with the hot cocoa van, the chocolate house sculpture, and the festive lights.

There are also play features! The handle on the interior makes the Christmas wreaths rotate above the door outside. I've also included chocolate bars for sale on the shelves, mugs hanging behind the counter for hot cocoa, and even a chocolate fountain with marshmallows on sticks! 

And just like the official sets, it includes a light brick! In this case it lights up the boiler, used to melt the cauldron of chocolate pieces ready for the hot drinks! 

Just over a month ago I had a go at making some extra cars for the Winter Holiday Train (http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/142031-modmoc-expanding-the-10254-winter-holiday-train/#comment-2682886) and got some great responses to my Hot Cocoa Tanker. I like to imagine this van works for the same company, shuttling hot cocoa around the Winter Village!

More images are available on my Flickr at https://www.flickr.com/photos/146006635@N03/albums/72157673365615964

Edited by mouseketeer

That is awesome! Really like the tanker with the taps on the rear. Looks good enough to be an official build.

Bravo! I really like this, especially the building. So many features! I would buy instructions.

Andy D

This is perfect for the Winter Village. So sad if there isn't another Expand the WInter Village contest this year in the annual tradition. I love seeing all of the creative ideas of everyone who enters. This MOC would surely be a contender. Love all the little details, like the chocolate fountain and the rotating wreaths. The chocolate delivery truck looks great. You can never have too many ways of delivering chocolate. 

Edited by kjm161

Oh no, where is the winter village competition? It's one of my favourite things about Christmas as after all the hard work (of Christmas preparations and dinner etc.) is done I would sit back and relax and pore over all the beautiful and imaginative creations. 

And yes I agree this set would have been a great contender. It's highly original, totally gorgeous  and perfectly in keeping with the official sets. 

Lovely work again Mouseketeer!

just watch they will reveal the contest tomorrow :P

Looking good though. It fits right in with the theme. And who wouldn't want some hot cocoa in the cold of winter.

That chocolate fountain is superb! Even the notches in the dome brick enhance the design because they make it look like the chocolate is dripping.

Great build! I came over looking for the contest. I love so may things here: the fountain, the hanging mugs, the truck, the little house! Like Andy, I would buy instructions. I would love to see this on Lego Ideas.

Thanks everyone! It's a shame there's no contest this year, but I couldn't let that stop me! My issue now is that I'm running out of space to display it all haha.

On 12/3/2016 at 2:14 AM, Andy D said:

Bravo! I really like this, especially the building. So many features! I would buy instructions.

Andy D

10 hours ago, GmaBlu said:

Great build! I came over looking for the contest. I love so may things here: the fountain, the hanging mugs, the truck, the little house! Like Andy, I would buy instructions. I would love to see this on Lego Ideas.

I'd really appreciate that! I've put the instructions up on eBay - searching 'Lego Chocolate Factory' should find them. :) 

Now I'm the first entry in the Expand the Winter Village Competition for this year! I'd asked @Rick about it before I started building and there wasn't a competition planned at the time, so he's very kindly accepted it as an entry. I've been following the competition for the past couple of years and was hoping to enter this year, and now I have! Can't wait to see what everyone builds!

16 minutes ago, mouseketeer said:

Now I'm the first entry in the Expand the Winter Village Competition for this year! I'd asked @Rick about it before I started building and there wasn't a competition planned at the time, so he's very kindly accepted it as an entry. I've been following the competition for the past couple of years and was hoping to enter this year, and now I have! Can't wait to see what everyone builds!

We had this discussion and this will be allowed as an entry this year since we started a bit late and the answer had been given to you as "no."

No problem. Rick brought it to my attention when I asked what the plans were. I had a really busy November so he didn't know I had the time to run the contest this year. Be sure to thank him as well. He's much more organized than I am. :blush:

Well this is very charming. It would fit in well with the rest of Winter Village. Chocolate mmm..

On December 4, 2016 at 7:20 AM, mouseketeer said:

Thanks everyone! It's a shame there's no contest this year, but I couldn't let that stop me! My issue now is that I'm running out of space to display it all haha.

I'd really appreciate that! I've put the instructions up on eBay - searching 'Lego Chocolate Factory' should find them. :) 

Just ordered the instructions... Are they email, download or physical delivery. Looking forward to building this. Thanks and good luck in the contest.

Andy D

Love the truck and the bows on the lamp posts. A lot of nice touches like the mugs hanging on the wall, the chocolate fountain and the moving wreaths! Would definitely buy this set!

I bought this and built it a few weeks ago. Fabulous set and looks great with other winter kit. I designed a creperie to go with it after my kid said hot chocolate needs crepes! 

Mouseketeer super helpful too when I had an issue.