Sign in to follow this  
M_longer

[MOC] Sandvik MH620

00.jpg

From 16th to 18th September 2015 I was at International Copper Ore Mining Congress at Sandvik exposision hall. Yes, year ago. I was asked to build a model for that exhibition, and under 3 weeks this little thing came to life.
Now it is time to show this model, because it will be taken apart shortly :)

21517338335_c31abf8f92_c.jpg
Oh look mom, it's LEGO! by Marek Markiewicz, on Flickr

21526001151_84cd7d22a4_c.jpg
Sandvik Hardrock Miner MH 620 by Marek Markiewicz, on Flickr

Here is how real machine looks:

40142-2666629.jpg

And it differs from what I have build, because it is higly customizable and their look vary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzJHqOkPq-w

I did not had chance to put my model next to real machine, but here you can see it standing on the part of the rear conveyor:

640x221.jpg

Let's start with the looks:
The model has two sides, a "nice one", which was wshown to the public:
640x360.jpg
640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg
640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg
640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

And uggl.... technical, which had lots of tubing and wires sticking from various places.

640x360.jpg

The controller:

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

Main feature (and something that gave me a headache) are the conveyors, which goes trough whole machine:

The main conveyor is made of 336 3L tread links and is driven by M motor. As an addition, the conveyor drives the loading stars, by set of bevel gears under the loading table:

640x360.jpg

Conveyor goes right under the turntable that holds cutting boom:

640x360.jpg

640x308.jpg

640x308.jpg

The loading table can be elevated and widened. Both functions are pneumatically operated.

640x360.jpg

Second conveyor (so called "tail") is mounted on z60 turntable from Arocs set. The weight of the whole "tail" started to bend frame of the chassis, so I had to put a small wheel under the turntable to prevent it from doing so.
Conveyor (270 links) is driven by M motor, and its drivetrain goes trough the turntable. It can be turned by single large pneumatic cylinder, which has enough force to swing it from side to side.

640x308.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

Stabilizng plate can be eleveated (two small pneumatic cylinders)

640x360.jpg

In theory this model has propulsion system, driven by L motor,  but at the end of the building process it turned out that is not efficient enough to move the model. But on the exhibition it didn't had too much room to move on the table, so it was not a big problem ;)

640x308.jpg

The bolting unit (that something on the top) is moved by M motor, which pulls two rows of chain links (172 of them):

640x308.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

The cutter boom, along with cutter head are mounted on the turntable moved by M motor. Its weight caused some bending, but I did not had ideas (and especially time) to improve it. But it worked :)
Whole thing is elevated by two large pneumatic cylinders, and the  boom can be extended by large 11l cylinder. Cutter head is driven by 47154c01.

640x308.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

And bonus pictures with TH5500:

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

Works like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owHhSYFn3gA

Pictures:

Bricksafe
Brickshelf
Flickr

It stood over a year on my shelf, because I did not had any will for taking pictures and making video of it. I was tired after that building marathon and it still was my first thought every time I have looked at it.

And it probably would stand there another year, but all my my Sandvik models were at Sandvik meeting and it was a last chance for taking a pictures of it in one piece, because it returned to mie in pieces (and is taken apart  gradually)

As usual, I'd like to thank Sandvik for providing me documentation neede for making this model.

Edited by M_longer

Very cool build! :thumbup: I saw it yesterday at YouTube and I like it very much. It's a pity that it cannot drive due to the weight :sceptic:

This is a really beautiful model, very detailed yet full of functions. It's really great to see this type of machinery rendered in LEGO. 

The whole thing in three weeks, speechless *huh*.

Really cool :thumbup:

5 hours ago, Boulderer said:

I'm amazed at the 3 weeks! How do you get all the pieces together in that time, nevermind design and build?!

It was built with using pieces that I had in that time, and I have made only one BL order, for few white tiles and 3L links.

I have over 100 000 bricks, so I am not making BL orders too often ;)

Edited by M_longer

2 hours ago, Boulderer said:

That would certainly help ? Though it must take very efficient sorting to allow you to find pieces quickly. 

Actually, my sorting system is now is use, because I have started major sorting, including "all-the-boxes-that-I-have-put-somewhere". All sketches are also taken apart (some of them are even few years old). I hope that I will have all my pieces sorted before 2017 starts...

good lord. and i thought making a chairlift, series of waterfalls and a water wheel was a good challenge! dude.. great effort and fantastic result!

Wow it's amazing you built this in 3 weeks, to bad it cant move but its more of a display MOC so that fine.

Haha, it's as if you've performed an autopsy.  It was a beautiful model, thanks for showing it as well as sharing the aftermath.