My third entry into CCC XIV, for the Traveling Salesman category. Credit for the star mosaic over the throne goes to Disco86. One of the main things I wanted to include in this build was the awning over the king’s seat, as it is historically accurate, and something I haven’t seen done much in LEGO. The balcony area and floor were perhaps the funnest parts to build however.

The grand merchant Tajir specializes in fine silks, spices, jewels, and robes. Tajir has brought a selection of his wares to King Dhahab. What sumptuous items will the King and Queen select?

Overview.jpg

Close.jpg

Goods.jpg

goods2.jpg

More pictures on Brickbuilt
Thanks for looking, all C&C welcome :classic:

Of course the high points are the cheese and SNOT floors, but I really like the attention to details placed on the walls and columns. Great stuff sir.

Very nice build LJ, those arches look great here and the throne area is really well done!  The merchandise looks good as well, and I really like the candlesticks! :thumbup: 

This is a nice Kaliphlin build, LJ!

I also like the tiles and mosaics in the floor and the different arch techniques!  The merchant's wares are really neat with a nice variety.  The use of the rings around capes for cloth rolls is perfect here.  Your minifig posing really adds life to this build and is quite realistic!  All the different figures are great, though I do wonder if the merchant's aides would get hot under black fur hats. :wink: They are obviously not Mitgardians, as no Mitgardian could stand to wear fur in the heat of Kaliphlin!  I do particularly like the parts used for the forefront merchant's aide including the modified legs, but maybe it is because I am partial to that head (used on my sigfig) and to that hat (very fitting for Mitgardia, I have quite a few in brown and black).

The detail that stands out to me most in this excellent build is the the gold 1x1 round plates on the tan 2x2 round tiles with holes. It creates a sense of kingly grandeur (with all the gold) within a Kaliphlinian atmosphere (the tan). The arrangement over the throne is the best. I also really like the alternating 1x1 tan round plates and 1x1 tan square plates (or 1x2 plates, or corner plates, or whatever you used) at the top. A small detail that adds so much. My one nitpick is that is slightly bothers me that, on the balcony, the posts supporting the guardrail are not matched up with the arches below. The arches are fantastic, as are the posts, but they don't line up. A different pattern, like two microfig posts and then the two round posts, with the round posts centered over the columns (like the one on the middle column) would have made an improvement in my mind. 

But since that is the only complaint I have, I think this is a very nice build, and another fine contribution to the culture and style of Kaliphlin. Good job, LJ!

2 hours ago, Blufiji said:

Of course the high points are the cheese and SNOT floors, but I really like the attention to details placed on the walls and columns. Great stuff sir.

Thank you, Blufiji!

46 minutes ago, Kai NRG said:

Very nice build LJ, those arches look great here and the throne area is really well done!  The merchandise looks good as well, and I really like the candlesticks! :thumbup: 

Thanks Kai! Glad you noticed those candlesticks, they were one of my favorite pieces of furniture :classic:

32 minutes ago, Slegengr said:

This is a nice Kaliphlin build, LJ!

I also like the tiles and mosaics in the floor and the different arch techniques!  The merchant's wares are really neat with a nice variety.  The use of the rings around capes for cloth rolls is perfect here.  Your minifig posing really adds life to this build and is quite realistic!  All the different figures are great, though I do wonder if the merchant's aides would get hot under black fur hats. :wink: They are obviously not Mitgardians, as no Mitgardian could stand to wear fur in the heat of Kaliphlin!  I do particularly like the parts used for the forefront merchant's aide including the modified legs, but maybe it is because I am partial to that head (used on my sigfig) and to that hat (very fitting for Mitgardia, I have quite a few in brown and black).

Thanks Slegengr! Good point about the hats, I'll try to keep that in mind for future builds :look: :laugh:

7 minutes ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

The detail that stands out to me most in this excellent build is the the gold 1x1 round plates on the tan 2x2 round tiles with holes. It creates a sense of kingly grandeur (with all the gold) within a Kaliphlinian atmosphere (the tan). The arrangement over the throne is the best. I also really like the alternating 1x1 tan round plates and 1x1 tan square plates (or 1x2 plates, or corner plates, or whatever you used) at the top. A small detail that adds so much. My one nitpick is that is slightly bothers me that, on the balcony, the posts supporting the guardrail are not matched up with the arches below. The arches are fantastic, as are the posts, but they don't line up. A different pattern, like two microfig posts and then the two round posts, with the round posts centered over the columns (like the one on the middle column) would have made an improvement in my mind. 

But since that is the only complaint I have, I think this is a very nice build, and another fine contribution to the culture and style of Kaliphlin. Good job, LJ!

Thanks HQ! Very good suggestion for the railing, wish I had thought of it before taking pictures! Ah well, something to remember for future builds :classic:

A very nice and majestic looking build, LJ, great job all around! :thumbup:  The color-scheme and architecture are excellent, and the merchants and their wares look great as well!  Keep it up! :classic:

And we have a winner for the category. :)
Always liked arched constructions this one is not an exception, ingenuous use of pieces and overall neat idea and construction execution.

The grandeur of this hall is just jaw-dropping. Especially the awning deserves special attention, but the gallery is amazing as well...

That is one great looking throne room! Love the awning! 

But my favourite part is all the little detail you have managed to get in! The rack to the clothes, the rings around the carpets! Truly inspiring!

Amazing build, I really like how much there is to see in this build. Excellent arches and detailing everywhere, and the merchandise and throne are awesome too

On 12/3/2016 at 8:20 AM, Garmadon said:

A very nice and majestic looking build, LJ, great job all around! :thumbup:  The color-scheme and architecture are excellent, and the merchants and their wares look great as well!  Keep it up! :classic:

Thanks Garmadon! Making the merchants' wares was one of the funnest parts of the build :classic:

On 12/3/2016 at 10:11 AM, Niku said:

And we have a winner for the category. :)
Always liked arched constructions this one is not an exception, ingenuous use of pieces and overall neat idea and construction execution.

Haha, we'll see who wins, but I'm glad you like it :sweet:

On 12/3/2016 at 10:18 AM, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Excellent build - great techniques used here too!

Thanks Captain! 

On 12/3/2016 at 11:24 AM, TitusV said:

The grandeur of this hall is just jaw-dropping. Especially the awning deserves special attention, but the gallery is amazing as well...

Thanks Titus! Glad you like how the awning turned out :classic:

On 12/3/2016 at 5:14 PM, en_zoo said:

awesome build! I love all the details and the architecture throughout!

Thanks en_zoo!

On 12/4/2016 at 1:03 AM, The Maestro said:

That snot floor is excellent, and your architecture style screams Kaliphin. The detail is immense :sweet:

Thank you!

On 12/4/2016 at 8:19 AM, soccerkid6 said:

Dark red works so nicely with tan :wub: Lovely SNOT work throughout as well :thumbup:

Yes, it's a color scheme that I would definitely like to do more in the future. Thanks Isaac :classic:

On 12/4/2016 at 11:17 AM, de Gothia said:

That is one great looking throne room! Love the awning! 

But my favourite part is all the little detail you have managed to get in! The rack to the clothes, the rings around the carpets! Truly inspiring!

Thanks de Gothia :blush: Glad you like it!

On 12/5/2016 at 8:42 PM, dathil said:

Amazing build, I really like how much there is to see in this build. Excellent arches and detailing everywhere, and the merchandise and throne are awesome too

Thanks dathil :classic:

Did I mention that the clothing-holders are absolutely awesome?

Are they a variation on the sword-holders you have used?