Sign in to follow this  
Brickadier General

1000 Steine Land Custom Police Car

Edit: OK, so the set came in the mail today, so I can now review this nice little car.

1000 Steine Land is an AFOL event in Germany, and this car was made as a custom kit for the show. There are not very many of them, as there were only 300 made. Here is the model in front of the box. The box and manual art are both well done, and the style reminds me a little bit of the old Legoland sets.

1.jpg

The manual is of high quality printing and very easy to follow. The decal sheet that came with it appears to be from one of the old Spider-Man sets. Mine only came with one, but should have come with 2, because there is only one little badge decal per sheet. It wasn't a big deal because I had an extra one. You still have a lot of extra stickers when you are done. Side note on the stickers: I had to trim the decals with scissors to fit them properly, but that was only because there were unnecessarily large areas of clear, unused space. In other words, it's pretty difficult to mess them up.

4.jpg

The end of the manual even gives you some suggestions for alternative parts. I suspect the reasons some of these weren't used was due to their expense.

5.jpg

Here is a pic of the car overall. My apologies for the picture quality. But you can see that this is a very good likeness of an American police car. And for being a custom piece, every part appeared to be new. Even the chrome daggers were still attached to their plastic holders.

7.jpg

The build uses numerous more advanced building techniques. The trunk is SNOTed on the rear. The "rims"(don't know the real name) surrounding the wheels use headlight bricks with 1x1 slopes SNOTed on their sides. More proof as to how useful they can be. I also love the use of chrome daggers as fenders.

10.jpg

11.jpg

The interior is just as detailed. Although it's difficult to see in this picture, there is a black lattice fence piece to separate the criminals from the officer. Unfortunately, it cannot sit a minifig inside. But this is more intended for show rather than play. A minifig still looks great alongside it. And as the 2nd pic shows, it goes great alongside my other 6-wide vehicles.

12.jpg

15.jpg

The sturdy box the kit came in also doubles nicely as a storage container for the finished model.

2.jpg

And for a final look at the pros and cons...

Pros:

-Looks fantastic and is a realistic looking rendition of an NY police car

-A more advanced build with special building techniques

-Detailed exterior and interior

-Parts in new/like new condition

-Professional looking instruction manual

-Nice, strong, reusable box

-Only 3 decals used on the model, so there are several other types of decals you can save for later

Cons:

-As with most custom kits, this one is a little pricey. But that is to be expected, especially with such limited numbers made.

-Cannot seat a minifigure.

-If you like functional doors, this model doesn't have them.

My final verdict:

If you can find it, this set is very much worth purchasing for a reasonable amount. The pros outweigh the cons, and it looks fantastic. I just love it and am looking forward to see what next year's event kit will look like. Even if you can't buy this kit, there is still hope. As I've said in another topic, I bought this from the designer, and he sounded like he was interested in selling other custom kits on bricklink. So you might get a chance to see more of his work, and I'm sure any custom work he would be doing would be just as high of a quality as this kit was. His bricklink store is called "joerilla" if you would like to see what else he has to offer, now and in the future. Well, I hope you enjoyed my review.

By the way, I know I said I would post instructions, but I gave it second thought, at least for the time being. I think I should talk to Joe before scanning the manual, since this is his creation and of his design. I just think it would be proper to ask first.

Edited by Brickadier General

That'd be awesome BG!

It'll fit right in with my Antique Trucks if i'm able to make a similar one from the instructions. *sweet*

P

Edited by phred

That'd be awesome BG!

It'll fit right in with my Antique Trucks if i'm able to make a similar one from the instructions. *sweet*

P

No problem. I think it would fit in nice. It would also look nice in black, and I think the hood piece could be substituted with tile and still look good.

Awesome find! This is one nice car, I'd love to have one! The 1x1 round tiles (or 1x1 studs as I call them) as mirrors are neat. I'm looking forward to your review, Brickadier General!

~Peace

Haha, I own this beauty as well :-)

Does someone want an MLCAD File? ;-)

A few things:

- the original model contains the newer windscreen without inner walls

- it was designed by "der joe", who is a member of our named 1000steine comunity

- I haven't found the original wheels in MLCAD so my virtual model has other wheels

- my file contains the 1x1 slope as inofficial piece

-

rgds

Sebastian

I made a black and white version of this car this morning.

This car is even cooler in real life. :'-)

I'd post pictures of it but the batteries for my camera need to bee recharged |-/

The one i made fits 2 MFs, one in the back seat and another in the front.

And it has a usable trunk. *y*

This set is awesome! *wub*

How did you find it on BL General?

I've looked under police sets and set # 2408 and found nothing. :'-(

P

Haha, I own this beauty as well :-)

Does someone want an MLCAD File? ;-)

A few things:

- the original model contains the newer windscreen without inner walls

- it was designed by "der joe", who is a member of our named 1000steine comunity

- I haven't found the original wheels in MLCAD so my virtual model has other wheels

- my file contains the 1x1 slope as inofficial piece

-

rgds

Sebastian

I found that out after I contacted the bricklink seller, and I found out that I bought it from the original creator. And thanks for posting the MLCAD file.

Just looked at this, its great! 8-

I knew the model was on bricklink because a few weeks ago I thought I remembered reading a post on a forum that someone had some leftover models in their bricklink store. When I looked, there had been 2. I scavenged around for it last week, and there was only one model available for sale. I found out that the seller was actually the designer and also that he is thinking about eventually selling custom sets through his bricklink store. His user ID is UNIMOC, and his store is called joerilla.

Thank you General! :'-)

I'm gonna go look for him right now.

P

thank you general! :'-)

It's nice to see how the back side is built.

I'll be definitely keeping an eye out for this set *y*

I think i like using spears instead of knives though ;-)

I like the way the scala chrome mug looks instead of 1x1 round plates. *y*

Thanx

P

Edited by phred

I like the way the scala chrome mug looks instead of 1x1 round plates. *y*

Yeah, they do look nicer, but I can see why they didn't go with them in the set. They would've had to get 600 of them, and they would've probably made the set cost more.

The decal sheet that came with it appears to be from one of the old Spider-Man sets. Mine only came with one, but should have come with 2, because there is only one little badge decal per sheet. It wasn't a big deal because I had an extra one. You still have a lot of extra stickers when you are done.

No, only one was included. I think it's the same as with the alternative pictures -> too expensive