00.jpg

After many months (I've started creating this model in March) I'd like to present my alternate model for 42043 set, a Mobile Crane.

I always wanted to try making a model with limited amount of parts, and when I connected two buckets to a battery box, I thought that it looks like good counterweight for a crane. And then it all began...

It was a bit tricky to rebuild Arocs (a truck with white cab and red crane) into good looking model, but 42043 has a lot of parts that come in neutral (LBG and DBG) colours.

800x678.jpg

Test model had to be build, so I have built it in Liebherr livery :)

Finished model:

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

There are 1836 parts used, so it is aproximately 65% of parts from the set. Most of the pneumatic parts are left unused, but almost all gears are used in the model.

It has three manual (steering, superstruture rotation and working fake V6) and four motorized functions. They are powered by L motor trough two gearboxes. First one allows to fold/retract stabilizers and fold/retract crane arm. Second one operates winch and pneumatic pump.

640x308.jpg
640x308.jpg

Making the steering working was a one of biggest challneges, becuase there are no 7L/13L gear racks (and no 4L ones). I decided to use bevel gears. There's a side effect of that solution - due to weight of the model, when wheels are turned in place, there is some backlash. But when all wheels spin while driving around it is almost unnoticeable.

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg
640x360.jpg

Third axles drives the V6:

There are no connector blocks for V engines in the set, so I have used few connectors instead. And yes, there is a cluth gear, because I ran out of large gears :)

640x360.jpg

Real fun began with outriggers, because there are only two worm gears in the set, and since one was used in the boom, I was left with only one.

640x308.jpg

640x308.jpg

640x308.jpg

Whole outrigger system uses lots of bevel gears, and all are driven by worm gear placed under the turntable. This setup is overcomplicated a bit, but it was the best solution that I could find with given range of parts.

640x360.jpg
640x360.jpg

It works fine, but you must pay attention while operating it, becuase there is no clutch in the drivetrain.

The most important part of this model is superstruture, which consist battery box, L motor and lots of gears with two gearboxes, which make everything work.

On the right side: pneumatic switch (for boom elevation), outriggers and boom folding/retracting

640x360.jpg
640x360.jpg

On the left: pneumatic pump (which could work faster, but since there is no extension driving ring in the set, I was forced to use z12/z20 setup for driving it near gears that are extending the boom) and winch, which could be locked in place.

640x360.jpg

The compressor is hidden behind operator's cab:

640x360.jpg

The superstructure can be moved by turning the z12 on the back:

640x360.jpg

Whole superstructure mechanics with color coding:

640x308.jpg
640x308.jpg
640x308.jpg

Two section boom works prety fast, and extending mechanism has linear cluth, which prevents it from damage when boom reaches the end of the gear rack.

640x360.jpg

There is no string provided with the set, but I decided to make an exception, because it gave me oportunity to make a crane. You have a piece of 2m string, right? ;)

The hook is made from few parts:

640x360.jpg

Crane at work:

640x360.jpg
640x360.jpg
640x360.jpg

And it works like here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbffFGfSCW4

Pictures
Bricksafe
Brickshelf
Flickr

Those 8 months were spent on making instructions for this model.

It is divided into submodels (like chassis, cab, boom, superstructure, deck parts etc) and can be bought for $10 at MOCPlans:

http://mocplans.com/designer/m-longer/42043-c-model-mobile-crane.html

I gave my best to make it clear and easy to use. It was double checked, along with test model. The only tricky part is connecting the superstructure to the carrier and adding deck panels, but it is not a challenge for anyone who  build Technic sets :)

Sample pages:

800x565.jpg
800x565.jpg
800x565.jpg
800x565.jpg
800x565.jpg

Edited by M_longer

Great build and alternative!

C-models bring a lot of creativity to the table. Nice job on having all those functions.

42043 isnt the best set for having a good looking alternative, but I think you managed it quiet well.

It has a bit of an unfinished paintjob. :wink:

This is a great MOC! Even better that it is a C-model.

it looks like a pneumatic version of one of my favorite sets, the 42009!

The instructions look very high quality! I am going to have to buy the instructions and build this. Thanks for doing this!

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

That's a really good alternative build.  White and bley give it that Liebeherr factory prototype look.   :classic:

Staggeringly good C-model!

When I see builds like this I'm always intrigued to know what the TLG design team think of the model. It'd be great to get an insight. 

So far the best c model I've seen for the arocs and with only 65% of the parts. It looks like a mixture of 8421 and the 42009. 

1 hour ago, Kmuffin said:

So far the best c model I've seen for the arocs and with only 65% of the parts. It looks like a mixture of 8421 and the 42009. 

But in my crane superstruture is rotated by a bevel gear, not by pushing it by hand ;)

Thank you for your comments, I am glad that you like it :)

I like it a lot - and even more when I saw that it's a C-model of 42043.

The buckets combined with the battery box and the creative usage of the two DBG gear racks in the boom are done very well.

The fact that 42043 contains only two worm gears was quite a big challenge, we all can believe that.

One question: There is a linear clutch beneath the boom to limit the torque a the final positions. But does it provide enough torque for complete boom extension?

42 minutes ago, Timewhatistime said:

One question: There is a linear clutch beneath the boom to limit the torque a the final positions. But does it provide enough torque for complete boom extension?

Yes, becuase it drives the worm gear. And as you can see on the video, it works without a problem.

Pity you can't download the instructions from the site after purchase - only viewing in a browser (always online) is supported. Started to build thic MOC today, only managed to do the first 8 pages. Quality is good :)

2 hours ago, emielroumen said:

Pity you can't download the instructions from the site after purchase - only viewing in a browser (always online) is supported. Started to build thic MOC today, only managed to do the first 8 pages. Quality is good :)

Only online viewing of the instructions? My internet connection is not always reliable.

Andy D

10 hours ago, Andy D said:

Only online viewing of the instructions? My internet connection is not always reliable.

Andy D

This is how MOCPlans works :)

2 minutes ago, M_longer said:

This is how MOCPlans works :)

Well, then maybe that is not the best place for me to buy instructions. Thanks anyway.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

13 hours ago, emielroumen said:

:)
Please tell me if you will find something that could be improved in the instructions.