Sign in to follow this  
Elysiumfountain

What Annoys EB Members?

What annoys EB members the most, for example what are the things that are frowned upon here, and how can I avoid them? I've read the posting guidelines, but I don't really know if there are unspoken rules, common courtesy things, and the like. 

Edited by Elysiumfountain

Spam, posting in old topics without adding anything of value to the topic, giant signatures, posts that reek of entitlement (I need this, LEGO must do that, everything should be cheap and easily available to me) and, not least, people who just know the reasons for everything The LEGO Company does without ever having spoken to a single person who works there :)

Oh, that was a nice list. It felt good to get it out of the system.

+1 to all that @L@go said.  It does feel good sometimes to just write a list like that to get it out of the system!

@Elysiumfountain I would not worry too much about what might annoy people.  Just post your MOCs and add to discussions in a productive and friendly manner.  Keep your tone positive and try to only criticize constructively (offer kind criticism but also offer a solution or information to improve).  Do not simply criticize someone with destructive comments.  Don't be rude to other users (this should be pretty obvious).  Do not attack other users or their creations.  Step back from a discussion for a moment if it heats up and emotions begin to flare.  Offer that your opinions might be right and be willing to accept being wrong rather than demanding that others acknowledge your opinion as supreme (give others the opportunity to agree with your opinions rather than just expecting others to agree with your opinion and be willing to agree with the opinions of others).

Read through the EB post on Posting Etiquette thoroughly, and you will understand what you should and should not do.

For the most part, I think experience on Eurobricks will show what you should post about and discuss on EB rather than what annoys other users.  Focus on positives, and you are unlikely to go wrong. :wink:

4 hours ago, L@go said:

Spam, posting in old topics without adding anything of value to the topic, giant signatures, posts that reek of entitlement (I need this, LEGO must do that, everything should be cheap and easily available to me) and, not least, people who just know the reasons for everything The LEGO Company does without ever having spoken to a single person who works there :)

Oh, that was a nice list. It felt good to get it out of the system.

That list is brilliant haha, the only thing I'd add is mini modding!

Oh, and welcome to the forum Elysiumfountain!

Edited by Captain Britain

Just relax and be yourself. Do that and obey the sight guidelines I think you'll be fine. :classic:

Just follow the site guidelines and you should be fine.  Different people get annoyed with different things.  There is no way to please everyone all the time.  :laugh:

@L@go Wow, great summary! :thumbup:

I'd add quoting (large) pictures to that; I don't need to see five posts quoting the same image on one single page (happens especially with newly found set pictures)! There's policy for that, though. 

Another thing that annoys me (but, is not against the rules), are a certain type of really short posts. Typically, they do not refer to anything in particular, nor do they add any weight to a discussion. Examples:

Cool! I like it.

I NEED THIS SOOO MUCH!!!!!

If you don't feel like giving argumentation to your opinion, at least be specific about it (that's my opinion, though)! Like this:

Cool! I like that new moustache piece!

Anyway, welcome to Eurobricks, have a great time! :wink:

One thing, which really annoyed me the most and for all members to comply. Do not type your comments in chat style manner. Do ensure proper capitalisation of sentences. Don't start your sentences in small caps all the way without punctuation. 

As what they have pointed out, the Site Guidelines is your best friend to follow. 

Threads/posts that aren't written in proper English and grammer.

Spoiler

Not to be rude/disrespectful, but this thread just doesn't make any sense to me. It's almost like a 'drunken post'. :wacko::drunk:

Edited by -zenn

The things that annoy me sometimes are when there's some sort of rivalry going on between members and when people ask what set they'll have to buy (just buy the set you think that would give you the most fun)

And oh yeah the discussions: why does this country get this and this set first while i still have to wait for a few months. And, you think that the prices in your country are bad....in my country it is even worse.

Small posts mentioned above (cool, i like it) are ok to me. There is no like-button on this forum so i see these comments as someone who wants to share she/he likes it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Just my pet peeve, American English spellings  :hmpf_bad: I fully understand if you are an American, but for the rest of the world use the proper English spellings, I note that even Lego are using American spelling in some of their material here in England, Argh!

Edited by LucyCol
Grammer

44 minutes ago, LucyCol said:

I fully understand if your an American, .....

My pet peeve... uh.... no comment. :classic:

No, sorry - typos aside, I get annoyed when there's a discussion thread about upcoming releases (most notably CMFs and modulars) where instead of posting rumors or guesses based on some kind of evidence (like "I think it will be <blank> because <some LEGO designer> commented about <blank>").  Instead you get page after page of what people want when there are other topics for that (like What Minifigures Are Missing?)

It also annoys me when people post as if everybody should know the set numbers for every set.... "I wanted to get a 10194, but since it's so expensive I got a 79111 because it's also nice, and you can get one really cheap" instead of "I wanted to get a 10194 Emerald Night, but since it's so expensive I got a 79111 Constitution Train because it's also nice, and you can get one really cheap."  Of course, LEGO elitists have every set number memorized, am I right?  So if I said "I recently got set 744, it's really neat!" you'd know exactly what I'm talking about without looking it up?

1 hour ago, LucyCol said:

Just my pet peeve, American English spellings  :hmpf_bad: I fully understand if your an American, but for the rest of the world use the proper English spellings, I note that even Lego are using American spelling in some of their material here in England, Argh!

Well, I personally think everyone is free to chose his or her version of the English language, as long as it is clear for everyone.

As a non-native English speaker who is always trying to write in proper British English, the thing that annoys me is not something EB can solve: Google Chrome only gives one English spelling check option: American English. That means that even if you want to write Br. English, Chrome makes you think you made a spelling mistake while it's the Br.English version of the word, which often leads to using the suggested (American) spelling. 

In Chrome: settings (from the menu); click on "Advanced settings," scroll down to "Languages" and click on the "languages and input settings..." button and add whatever languages you'd like.

On 12/06/2016 at 10:49 AM, fred67 said:

My pet peeve... uh.... no comment. :classic:

It also annoys me when people post as if everybody should know the set numbers for every set.... "I wanted to get a 10194, but since it's so expensive I got a 79111 because it's also nice, and you can get one really cheap" instead of "I wanted to get a 10194 Emerald Night, but since it's so expensive I got a 79111 Constitution Train because it's also nice, and you can get one really cheap."  Of course, LEGO elitists have every set number memorized, am I right?  So if I said "I recently got set 744, it's really neat!" you'd know exactly what I'm talking about without looking it up?

^This!^ Seriously give this guy a plus two on this comment! We all don't know every set number so please put the name too! Damn, I hate that just about more than anything on here. :angry: I used to keep a tab open just to quickly look up set numbers on Brickset out of genuine curiousity, but now I just skip those worthless posts. :laugh:

Also, you do not need to speak the Queen's English, 'Merican is OK too.

On 12/7/2016 at 9:08 AM, Only Sinner said:

^This!^ Seriously give this guy a plus two on this comment! We all don't know every set number so please put the name too! Damn, I hate that just about more than anything on here. :angry: I used to keep a tab open just to quickly look up set numbers on Brickset out of genuine curiousity, but now I just skip those worthless posts. :laugh:

Also, you do not need to speak the Queen's English, 'Merican is OK too.

I use a chrome extension just for this! I just hit the button and it will highlight the name for me. It's called BrickTip! for those interested.