Sign in to follow this  
mink66

(MOD) 75104 Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle

Finally got my Kylo Ren command shuttle converted to all black with red viewing port and folding wings.  I think it turned out decent and is still very playable and swooshable!  Started on it last January, but became addicted to Star Wars Battlefront for way too long after getting a PS4 at Christmas. Anyway with the recent release of Krennic's shuttle in mostly all black, I got inspired to pick up the black pieces from many Bricklink orders and finish my conversion of Kylo Ren's shuttle. I wish I could have gotten the red viewing port "fangs" to transition a little better into the top portion, but it still looks pretty good from a distance.  Removing all the cross linked technic beams opened up a lot of room in the interior. I added two sets of the technic rotation joint disks to each wing and now they have three clickable positions for folding up and down.

31199782286_7174cc87ba_c.jpg75104 Kylo Ren Command Shuttle MOD by Shawn Minkey, on Flickr

30867917970_0885a47d05_c.jpg75104 Kylo Ren Command Shuttle MOD by Shawn Minkey, on Flickr

31091524562_301da995fa_c.jpg75104 Kylo Ren Command Shuttle MOD by Shawn Minkey, on Flickr

30867916670_f303cacb99_c.jpg75104 Kylo Ren Command ShuttleIMG_4497 MOD by Shawn Minkey, on Flickr

30867915550_8db493b928_c.jpg75104 Kylo Ren Command Shuttle MOD by Shawn Minkey, on Flickr

31199782606_ffe7b7fd6f_c.jpg75104 Kylo Ren Command Shuttle MOD by Shawn Minkey, on Flickr

31121200981_75e98ec423_c.jpg75104 Kylo Ren Command Shuttle MOD by Shawn Minkey, on Flickr

31121200661_eb59d39ae8_c.jpg75104 Kylo Ren Command Shuttle MOD by Shawn Minkey, on Flickr

31121200081_6175b27c38_c.jpg75104 Kylo Ren Command Shuttle MOD by Shawn Minkey, on Flickr

31121199541_a7a3663569_c.jpg75104 Kylo Ren Command Shuttle MOD by Shawn Minkey, on Flickr

30867909710_4937d97470_c.jpg75104 Kylo Ren Command Shuttle MOD by Shawn Minkey, on Flickr

31121198691_eb6e726d7a_c.jpg75104 Kylo Ren Command Shuttle MOD by Shawn Minkey, on Flickr

30414373994_b2f9f0cb7f_c.jpg75104 Kylo Ren Command Shuttle MOD by Shawn Minkey, on Flickr

30414373834_1e026cbd00_c.jpgCommand Shuttles Comparison by Shawn Minkey, on Flickr

30414373274_c4982d21af_c.jpgCommand Shuttles Comparison by Shawn Minkey, on Flickr

Edited by mink66

I like the comparison pictures, never knew how it's size compared to the other 2 shuttles.

I think it's a bit too black now.

6 hours ago, firefox said:

I think it's a bit too black now.

Thanks for the comments! I studied the images of Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle in the DK book Star Wars The Force Awakens Incredible Cross-Sections, because I kind of thought the same thing. Surprisingly, it's all black except for some of the transparent red pieces. I noticed the same thing with the very detailed Revell model and the die cast version from the Disney Store. 

17 hours ago, mink66 said:

Thanks for the comments! I studied the images of Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle in the DK book Star Wars The Force Awakens Incredible Cross-Sections, because I kind of thought the same thing. Surprisingly, it's all black except for some of the transparent red pieces. I noticed the same thing with the very detailed Revell model and the die cast version from the Disney Store. 

This is the true color, good job on the conversion. If it looked like this out of the box, I would've bought it. 

11 hours ago, brobert said:

This is the true color, good job on the conversion. If it looked like this out of the box, I would've bought it. 

Thanks brobert!  I think Lego will probably one day redesign this set to an updated version that is more film accurate.

I remember when this first came out picking it up and then wondering about the wings after the Trailer. I modded mine the first week it came out and people went mad asking me how to do the wings. Yours is superb. The color and the landing gear are a big plus for for yours. Well done. 

Someone else on here built one to minifig scale at one point. I remember drooling over those pictures. If you're ambitious, go check it out haha. 

1 hour ago, Thebeeze111 said:

Someone else on here built one to minifig scale at one point. I remember drooling over those pictures. If you're ambitious, go check it out haha. 

Oh my! That's right I had totally forgotten about that mini-figure scale MOC. I had to go back and find it. This is truly a work of art! So amazing! 

That looks great, if Lego every remakes the shuttle, that's what it should be

11 hours ago, mink66 said:

Thanks brobert!  I think Lego will probably one day redesign this set to an updated version that is more film accurate.

of course they will, they have to keep the maneyyy flowing :laugh: sometimes I really feel like they are f%king things up deliberately with new designs, so there can be a huge debate in the community about it, then get praised to heavens when eventually they finally do it right with the 3rd or so iteration. 

Thanks for the comparison with the other "related" crafts. If you look at "the real thing" though, It comes to my attention that - unlike Tydirium or Krennic's shuttle, which pretty much resemble the shapes of the "real ships" - Kylo Ren's transporter does not.The cockpit was way more flat. I would love to see a complete MOC of the craft, not just a colour change at some point.

13 minutes ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

I would love to see a complete MOC of the craft, not just a colour change at some point.

Go check out this link!  It's a masterpiece!

I don't think the shape of the craft at the front lends itself that well to an accurate system scale model. It would be too thin and we'd end up without a useful interior. As is the case with most sets, it's a compromise.

Back to the OP - I totally love the shuttle in black, nice work. Did you attempt to convert the original model to black before building a new one? If so, how far did you get and how did it look?

Here's a minifig scale moc (in black) from youtube which is impressive due to the size (and check out the interior on this thing;))  

2 hours ago, belkor said:

Back to the OP - I totally love the shuttle in black, nice work. Did you attempt to convert the original model to black before building a new one? If so, how far did you get and how did it look?

Thanks belcor!  I started building the original Lego version and got the main body and primary wing sections complete and said to myself this thing definitely needs to be converted to all black.  By that time I had seen Jangbricks all black conversion on youtube, and also how others had started to integrate the technic rotation disks into the design of the wings so you wouldn't have to pull technic pins in and out and to get the wings in the folded down position.  I'd estimate the design is still 85% Lego's. I didn't really have to change too much with the interior wing structure, but I did have to change the wing connection point to below the the main floor level instead of above it.  This prevented the bottom of the wing tips from interfering with the bottom areas of the hull and allowed the wings to rotate down to the position you see them.

And WOW!  I had not seen the youtube video you linked to of the full mini-figure scale shuttle and diarama on Jakku.  That creation is simply amazing!  However, as incredible as those creations are I would still prefer to have something like I got that represents the essential essence of the original craft, but is still "swooshable" and I can "fly" through the house recreating Star Wars adventures with my kids!

Edited by mink66

Wow, thanks - I was looking for shape accurate mocs for some time now. Seems like I didn't look long enough. I wonder if the ship is popular/iconic enough, so that we may one day see an UCS version of it.

5 hours ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

I wonder if the ship is popular/iconic enough, so that we may one day see an UCS version of it.

I think it will depend on how much more we see of it in Episodes 8 and 9. 

8 hours ago, mink66 said:

I think it will depend on how much more we see of it in Episodes 8 and 9. 

I hope we do see more of it. I think one of the things I didn't like about TFA was how little we saw of the ships both in screen time and clear shots. The star destroyer, the landing craft, Rens shuttle, Hans ship, whatever the Guavian death gang and Kanjiklub were flying etc.....