• 2 - Getting warmer...
    • 1 - It leaves me feeling cold inside.

[REVIEW] 70901 Mr. Freeze Ice Attack

NAME: Mr. Freeze Ice Attack

NUMBER: 70901

THEME: DC Superheroes

SUBTHEME: The Lego Batman Movie

PRICE: $19.99 USD, $24.99 CAD

I was fortunate enough to acquire this set early from my local Target by asking for DCPI 204-00-1946, and had an afternoon to kill so decided to write up this review. These are not supposed to be released until December 1st! 

The front box art depicts Batman swinging into action against Mr. Freeze's mech to save a security guard frozen in ice. The scene is action packed and the bright yellow banner across the top is certainly eye-catching. It also reveals that this set is branded under "The Lego Batman Movie" subtheme.

The back of the box shows the play features in more detail, along with the curious slogan "Build Something Batman" :wacko:

The box contains two numbered bags, one instruction booklet, and a tiny DSS, which look fairly easy to apply this time around. :sweet:

Bag 1 will build Batman, the guard, the ice cage, and some nice-looking scenery. Bag 2 will build Mr. Freeze, his gun, and his mech.

Here are all the pieces from Bag 1...

...and here are some of the more interesting ones. There are, of course, the two large ice wall pieces. I have not encountered the red macaroni pieces before, and they certainly appear to hold some potential for MOCing. I was pleasantly surprised to find there is an extra of Batman's new belt piece included. (More on that later!)

The build is quite straightforward, mostly stacking bricks and plates.

The red macaroni pieces are connected by a Technic axle and also sport a standard stud connection, which is pretty cool and further increases their usefulness.

Before you know it, Bag 1 is complete! The stickers are easy to apply and I must say the sand green/red/light grey look nice together. The grey hinges on the white and blue ice cage are jarring and would have looked much better in white. :sceptic: 

Bag 2 looks much more interesting!

Some interesting pieces include L tiles in light blue, short hoses, Freeze's printed chest armor, and a bulky new chassis piece which will form the basis for the mech.

It looks fairly specialized, though I'm sure the community will come up with some creative uses for it. :look: 

Things cool down as you start off by assembling Freeze and his comically oversized gun.

Construction of the mech begins by immediately stickering a control panel to the inside of the chassis.

SNOT is the next step, in which you discover two light grey cheese graters! I somehow missed these when going over "interesting parts of Bag 2." I am sure the community will be happy to find these in a cheaper set, as if I remember correctly, they are fairly popular for sci-fi creations and have only previously appeared in the $80 Dimensions starter packs.

Some clips are added, the pipes wrap around, the back (made up of only a few clips and plates) is added, and the legs are a "x2" construction.

The arms go quick, and the mech is complete! ...er, almost complete.

Place Mr. Freeze in the slot at the back and clip the gun into the mech's fists and we're good to go!

It looks suitably menacing. :devil: 

That should conclude our review...

Wait, what? You want to see the figures, and some final ratings? :wacko: Fine. :hmpf_bad:

Batman appears in all the LBM sets, though Mr. Freeze and the guard are exclusive to this set. (Barring their unlikely inclusion in the yet-to-be-revealed CMF)

His weapons include a Batarang and a flamethrower, which is appropriate for battling an ice-themed villain.

He also sports an alternate expression...

...as well as some nice back printing, which is covered by a cape made of the new sponge-y material.

He is very similar to the "classic" Batman, though there are some slight differences in the placement and brightness of the logo as well as the muscle printing. He is also slightly taller due to the new belt piece.

Batman, why do you need two belts? :wacko:

This is a very nice, clean figure who calls back to the original design. The belt looks great and helps distinguish him as the Batman from the new movie, which I personally like. :thumbup:

The second figure is a generic guard. The face reminds me somewhat of Commissioner Gordon. When I first saw the leaked images, that's who I thought this was! :wacko:

If you look closely there seems to be a molding problem with his left hand. It's weird, and doesn't rotate quite as well. Maybe someone in the comments can explain what's going on there? :look:

He also features some nice back printing...

...as well as an alternate, scared expression.

This figure is rather bland, but the new face is much appreciated and the torso printing is nice for including some diversity in your legions of GCPD officers. Not really sure what's going on with the fireman helmet, however. :wacko: Perhaps it is meant to represent a gas mask in the explosion-prone Gotham Energy Plant?

But I've saved the best for last, the main draw of this set, Mr. Freeze himself!

I am happy to report his chest armor is printed, and his head includes the classic red goggles so sorely missing from the 2013 iteration. :thumbup:

I would say he is certainly an improvement over said 2013 version, though maybe not quite as good as the original 2006 version. I still regret selling that one off. :cry_sad:

Freeze also has back printing, though the most interesting part of it ends up being covered by his armor.

Mr. Freeze is easily the best figure included in this set and seems to be based off Batman: The Animated Series, which should attract quite a few prospective buyers on that fact alone.

The ending of the instruction booklet shows how this set can be combined with two other small sets of this wave to form a larger Gotham Energy playset. Unfortunately the Target I visited did not have these other two sets in stock, or else I would have certainly purchased them! 

I can imagine this clip is what will connect the sets.

To conclude I would like to leave some general ratings on the set as whole.

PLAYABILITY: 7/10 - This set certainly has a lot going on, and there are numerous scenarios that could play out, especially when connected with the other two Gotham Energy sets. However, it doesn't have much in terms of actual play features. The only ones I noticed are the sole stud shooter on the mech and the opening ice cage. This could be improved perhaps by included the ability for the white tank to blow apart?

BUILD: 8/10 - The scenery is rather a boring build, but the mech packs some interesting construction and more than makes up for the disappointing backdrop.

PARTS: 10/10 - A perfect score is a no-brainer here. What other set can you get light blue and sand green, as well as several pieces new for this year and theme?

FIGURES: 7/10 - Batman and the guard are a bit flavorless, but the fantastic new Mr. Freeze picks up their slack. I would even venture as far as saying he alone makes this set worth it.

PRICE: 10/10 - No complaints here! $20 for 201 pieces is awesome, especially for a licensed set with exclusive minifigures and interesting parts.

TOTAL: 42/50 or 84%! I would recommend this set in a heartbeat to anyone interested in the Lego Batman Movie or anyone looking to build their parts collection without breaking the bank. :grin: 

Feel free to leave your thoughts and comments on the set down below, and remember to vote in the poll! :wink: 

Edited by Captain Nemo
Let's not mock the Review Academy...

Thanks for reviewing them, now I know that I need to get the set, but can you show the extra parts please?

21 minutes ago, RM0B said:

Thanks for reviewing them, now I know that I need to get the set, but can you show the extra parts please?

You're welcome!

Thanks for reminding me, I meant to include that in the main body of the review but it must have slipped my mind.

30755304920_e5ee80db29_b.jpg

Nice set

You are right about the grey hinges... they look awful. They whole thing could have been trans blue

I like the mech, except for the legs.

Thanks for the review 

(How could you sell the original Mr Freeze????? :oh:)

Thanks for the review! Looking at your pics, I think I will be picking this one up. Unfortunately it looks like I won't be able to do so in the near future, since I have just taken advantage of the seasonal discounts for old Super Heroes sets. :grin:

That's a good review, thanks!

I definitely will pick up 70900 & 70901 then combine them as one scenery to be my 1st buy of this series. Maybe others after watching the movie.

To be honest I don't know too many villains in Gotham city, but Joker & Mr.Freeze are very impressive characters in the 90's movies in my childhood. Very happy to have them in the cheapest sets.

Appreciate the scared face guard and ICE WALL pieces in the box, Heroes always need poor guy to save. 

I definetely can`t wait until the new TLBM Sets arrive here in Germany.That small Set looks really neat and i love the Fact that it can be connexcted to other smaller Sets to combine it into something bigger.

Maybe a little Off Topic,but that Mech Centerpiece,isn`t this the same Piece used for next Years Nexo Knights Action Sets?

I love that Mr. Freeze torso! :wub:

(Have we seen that before on previous pictures?)

Bummer that the new belt piece looks really silly on the old Batmans, but then again I only have 3 Batmans so they can be replaced easily with Batman Movie Batmans. The photography looks crisp, thanks for the review!

Nice review! I especially appreciate the pics of the new cockpit piece. It's also used for the new LEGO Nexo Knights battle suits, but this is our first real look at it from all angles. Specialized or not, it's profoundly efficient, and a brick-built solution with all the same connections would either be much more fragile or much less compact, so I think it more than justifies its existence.

My other interest in this set comes from the new hand piece, which is a great design. I kind of wish that the Nexo Knights battle suits were designed to use this hand piece rather than the bulkier CCBS fist pieces.

Great review 'mediumsnowman', be cool to see the other two sets joined up to this set.

The security guard could pass as a mall cop :wink:

After this review I'm almost sold on buy all the sets next year.

Great review with really good pictures!!, I love mechs and will definitely be buying this!

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 6:56 PM, Mr Greeble said:

(Batmans belt is backward) :look:

Batman can wear his belt whichever way he wants!

8 hours ago, mediumsnowman said:

Batman can wear his belt whichever way he wants!

Do you know why? BECAUSE HE'S BATMAN! 

Also, I guess building something batman is to build in "black. Or sometimes, very very very dark gray." 

Great review btw! :thumbup: 

To me, that gun for the mech looks ridiculous, but without it, there's no weapons for it. :wacko: 

On 11/20/2016 at 6:47 PM, Aanchir said:

Nice review! I especially appreciate the pics of the new cockpit piece. It's also used for the new LEGO Nexo Knights battle suits, but this is our first real look at it from all angles. Specialized or not, it's profoundly efficient, and a brick-built solution with all the same connections would either be much more fragile or much less compact, so I think it more than justifies its existence.

My other interest in this set comes from the new hand piece, which is a great design. I kind of wish that the Nexo Knights battle suits were designed to use this hand piece rather than the bulkier CCBS fist pieces.

That is my guess where they are going to show up next. As of the Nexo "Battle Suits" hands are we sure the pictures are not some sort of preliminaries. 

I to seen some of the Batman movie set out at the local Walmart. (This one, plus the Batmobile and Joker's car. Along with two superhero girls sets the Batgirl jet and the Harley Quinn set.) And no I did not get any of them, the price scanner did seem to have any of them in the system. 

Thanks for the review. It gives us a closer look.

I saw these a few weeks ago at Walmart too. Probably about when you first posted this, but I decided to wait until Amazon has them on sale. I couldn't justify the prices for some of the sets. And since this has the same Batman, I don't need to worry about getting another of him at full price. And the generic cop is useful, but not needed. So Freeze being the main draw, I will wait for hopefully 20% off.

But this whole set actually looks of decent quality, unlike most sets where the figures are the only draw. I could certainly see this MOC'd into something impressive, or at least the pieces used elsewhere impressive.

4 hours ago, TheLegoDr said:

I saw these a few weeks ago at Walmart too. Probably about when you first posted this, but I decided to wait until Amazon has them on sale. I couldn't justify the prices for some of the sets. And since this has the same Batman, I don't need to worry about getting another of him at full price. And the generic cop is useful, but not needed. So Freeze being the main draw, I will wait for hopefully 20% off.

My Walmart had one of these, sitting lonely on a shelf, no other TLBM sets in sights or even marked on the shelf, with a yellow clearance-like sticker on it advertising it as $16.82 (16% off). Didn't scan on the price-scanner (neither the official barcode nor the yellow tag) so the lady at the register had to manually enter the price. Not bad, getting 16% discount before release day :). This was last week btw.

Edited by Phil B

I actually picked this set up today because I found same at Wal-Mart here. Worth it at a discount, but not at msrp for me. Thanks for the heads up.

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 8:25 PM, Phil B said:

My Walmart had one of these, sitting lonely on a shelf, no other TLBM sets in sights or even marked on the shelf, with a yellow clearance-like sticker on it advertising it as $16.82 (16% off). Didn't scan on the price-scanner (neither the official barcode nor the yellow tag) so the lady at the register had to manually enter the price. Not bad, getting 16% discount before release day :). This was last week btw.

6 minutes ago, TheLegoDr said:

I actually picked this set up today because I found same at Wal-Mart here. Worth it at a discount, but not at msrp for me. Thanks for the heads up.

That's a pretty good deal, especially considering its brand new! I'm curious, did your guys sets have the same molding issue with the guards hand or is my copy an isolated incident?

11 hours ago, mediumsnowman said:

That's a pretty good deal, especially considering its brand new! I'm curious, did your guys sets have the same molding issue with the guards hand or is my copy an isolated incident?

Mine has been gifted, so I don't know about the molding issue.