frikandeloorlog

Lego minifigs collectables

I'm trying to collect the Lego minifigs that they sell one by one and i'm just getting the same ones all the time. :(

How many did you had to buy to complete your collection? :)

With regards to CMF's, I have never personally tried to collect all of them in a series.  With random picks, this would be quite difficult without buying more than you want to.  Likely, after the CMF box of random pouches has been on the shelf of a store for a while, someone(s) has come along and felt for certain ones, thus possibly eliminating all of a select CMF in the box (this could explain why you are finding multiples of the same one, which is likely the least desirable CMF from the series in your area).  My experience may not be geared towards a complete collection, but here is how I have purchased specific CMF's:

I am usually after very specific CMF's in multiples when I happen to find them at a local store, but the same method of finding the ones you want always applies: try to feel a key piece or pieces through the package.  This is time-consuming and sometimes difficult, though, especially since some do not have an easily distinguishable key piece.  
Another assist is that each package contains a dot code embossed on the bottom seal-edge of the package.  These dot codes are specific to each individual type of CMF (so one dot code for the recent "Rogue", one dot code for the "Banana Suit Guy", etc.).  You need to determine the dot codes to make use of them, though.

From my experience, the cheapest and most reliable method of acquiring the CMF you want is to buy it on BrickLink or some other secondary source after it has been revealed.  This is more reliable, as it is the seller's responsibility that there would be no error in what minifigure is in the package (easily determined by opening the package).  Though prices tend to be higher than in-store prices, the chance for error using the feel method can increase the in-store cost if you accidentally buy a different CMF than you intended.  This does eliminate some of the fun of searching for and opening a new CMF, though...

The EB community has many topics discussing how to find CMF's, so I would recommend searching for more information to glean input from others as well.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for this info. Unfortunately, ordering from bricklink isn't a possibility for me because of importation laws :(.  I will try to find the dot codes on the internet somewhere. 

5 hours ago, frikandeloorlog said:

Thank you for this info. Unfortunately, ordering from bricklink isn't a possibility for me because of importation laws :(.  I will try to find the dot codes on the internet somewhere. 

¡Hola! Aquí hay gente vendiendo en México: https://www.facebook.com/groups/459609164145159/

También yo buscaría tiendas de Bricklink que sean mexicanas. En cuanto a los códigos de puntos, yo no los recomendaría. Es mejor usar el tacto para identificar la figura. :wink:

10 hours ago, frikandeloorlog said:

I tried the Dot Codes for the Monster CMF and I have to say that it was pretty hard, sometimes even impossible, to decipher that freaking dots on the package... Out of 5 packages bought (and 20 packages to "feel" through) I had only 2 where I was 100% sure what was in it. And after opening up, one of them did not have what I suspected to be in the package. Try to feel certain distinct parts in the package, this worked out much better for me.

On 11/18/2016 at 4:35 AM, BrickHat said:

¡Hola! Aquí hay gente vendiendo en México: 

También yo buscaría tiendas de Bricklink que sean mexicanas. En cuanto a los códigos de puntos, yo no los recomendaría. Es mejor usar el tacto para identificar la figura. :wink:

Hello BrickHat.

We're an English speaking site and, for the benefit of all members, ask that you post in English to the best of your ability. I appreciate you were replying to a member from Mexico, but it is clear they have a very good grasp of written English.

It's clear you were trying to be helpful, and posting in English may aid more members than just the OP.

Best wishes. 

I would buy the Batman Series if it had mostly normal looking characters rather than bizarre alternate look characters.

I would buy a series featuring just DC and Marvel or Star Wars.

On 12/9/2016 at 6:02 PM, BubbaFit45531 said:

I would buy the Batman Series if it had mostly normal looking characters rather than bizarre alternate look characters.

I would buy a series featuring just DC and Marvel or Star Wars.

The only figure I want from that abysmal line is the pharaoh, which I can make good use of elsewhere.