62Bricks

[MOC] Lustron House

25291817139_f5cca6b5bf_z.jpg

Lustron was a short-lived company started in the late 1940s by the Swedish inventor Carl Strandlund. His idea was to address the post-war housing shortage in the United States by creating an inexpensive system of building pre-fabricated houses out of steel. He secured government loans and converted a former aircraft plant into a factory, where these all-steel houses were built in segments to be shipped all over the country and assembled on site.

The company faced some challenges and only a few thousand houses were actually sold and built. You can find them throughout the American Midwest. There are four of them within a half-hour drive of my home in a small town in Iowa.

Original%20Lustron%20prototype%20Hinsdal

The remarkable thing about Lustron houses is that they are constructed almost entirely of steel. The wall frames were built in sections and fastened together on site. The roof trusses were also steel. Finally, the entire exterior and the roof were covered with small porcelain-enameled steel panels, giving the houses a distinctive appearance. The panels could be ordered in a range of colors. The interior walls were also covered with enameled steel panels - to hang things on the walls, you used magnetic hooks. Cabinets and bookcases were built in. Interior doors were sliding pocket doors to save space. The houses came with a 500-page instruction book.

tumblr_mjjhqg6cy81qisqj3o1_1280.jpg

30935048825_9a475eb32d_z.jpg

In my design, I have tried to replicate the pre-fab building experience. Wall panels are built in sections, then assembled and locked together into the completed house.

30848389132_b66b28c97c_z.jpg

More photos and info at my Flickr album

I have posted a version of the model at Mecabricks

I am currently gathering support for the project at LEGO Ideas

Edited by 62Bricks
Typos

A very thoughtful design! You captured the essence of Lustron houses very well and your presentation is flawless. Great work and I can't wait to build it myself. Any chance of putting instructions online (or made available upon request)?

This is terrific!  I love the process of your design.  If I had one suggestion it would be to add a vertical linear element at the front eave corner of the house.  From the photos is appears to be a strong architectural element and likely structurally necessary as well to hold the bearing of the gable end truss.  Great build!

4 hours ago, Willworkfortoys said:

This is terrific!  I love the process of your design.  If I had one suggestion it would be to add a vertical linear element at the front eave corner of the house.  From the photos is appears to be a strong architectural element and likely structurally necessary as well to hold the bearing of the gable end truss.  Great build!

I agonized over that pole. I tried several options and just could not get something that looked right to me. Part of the problem is that I squeezed down the proportions of the model from the initial plan, which was to scale, in order to fit it on a standard baseplate. The overhang is thus smaller in proportion, and the corner pole was overpowering.

I haven't given up, though. Thanks for the feedback.

14 hours ago, dutchlegofan50 said:

A very thoughtful design! You captured the essence of Lustron houses very well and your presentation is flawless. Great work and I can't wait to build it myself. Any chance of putting instructions online (or made available upon request)?

Thank you! 

Yes, I'll put instructions up. In the meantime, you can open it up and take it apart in Mecabricks.

This is really neat!  Captured the design concept perfectly.