I love it!  The end result is fantastic,  I'd love to build it at some point.  As for the torsion bars,  I like the use and function of them.  Yes they may not be "legal"  but they are very helpful and give a very good suspension feel.  

On 18-2-2017 at 6:37 PM, DugaldIC said:

I love it!  The end result is fantastic,  I'd love to build it at some point.  As for the torsion bars,  I like the use and function of them.  Yes they may not be "legal"  but they are very helpful and give a very good suspension feel.  

Thank you @DugaldIC! I know you know what I'm talking about :thumbup:.

Here are some photos of the (probably) final version:

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

Awesome! Some of the lines you've created are just fantastic. This definitely looks like the final version!

From the beginning, I have been mesmerized by this project. It was exciting to see the developments achieved by you with many builders involved. Every single element of entire model became perfectly realized as what studless (yet classic) Technic supercar should be. It looks the true successor of 8865 and 8880! :wub:

Edited by Madoca 1977

Dear Didumos69, congratulations on a great job. That turned out really amazing. I love every aspect of the car, like the angled  lines of the body, I mentioned before, and for example this area on the side:

640x357.jpg

That straight black beam makes nice contrast to all the red angled beams beneath. This is, as I see, the minimalist style as it should be. You don't have all these complicated curves and double-curved surfaces, just a few angled lines. But each line is optimized to perfection and stands as a beauty on itself.

As was mentioned before, the car resemblances the 8880 beautifully. The true homage.

And special thanks for the WIP thread. It has been one of the longest and interesting I followed here. You have really show all the optimization behind the complicated project. And the responses from the community showed what makes Eurobricks so great. 

7 hours ago, Victor Imaginator said:

Great suspension shots)

Thanks! I'm quite content with the suspension. The model has a ground clearance of 2.25 studs. The front can be compressed all the way down to the ground and the back to about .25 studs above the ground.

7 hours ago, Lox Lego said:

Awesome! Some of the lines you've created are just fantastic. This definitely looks like the final version!

Thanks! Yeah, I think this is where it should end.

6 hours ago, Madoca 1977 said:

From the beginning, I have been mesmerized by this project. It was exciting to see the developments achieved by you with many builders involved. Every single element of entire model became perfectly realized as what studless (yet classic) Technic supercar should be. It looks the true successor of 8865 and 8880! :wub:

Thank you @Madoca 1977 for this great compliment! This was not something I started very consciously. Also for me this topic evolved into something special. I was especially happy with the interference of other builders.

6 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

As aggressive of a style a supercar can hope to achieve. Well done.

Thanks! I'm affraid I have a slight preference for 'in your face' cars over wind-tunnel-shaped cars.

3 hours ago, proran said:

Dear Didumos69, congratulations on a great job. That turned out really amazing. I love every aspect of the car, like the angled  lines of the body, I mentioned before, and for example this area on the side:

That straight black beam makes nice contrast to all the red angled beams beneath. This is, as I see, the minimalist style as it should be. You don't have all these complicated curves and double-curved surfaces, just a few angled lines. But each line is optimized to perfection and stands as a beauty on itself.

As was mentioned before, the car resemblances the 8880 beautifully. The true homage.

And special thanks for the WIP thread. It has been one of the longest and interesting I followed here. You have really show all the optimization behind the complicated project. And the responses from the community showed what makes Eurobricks so great. 

Thank you @proran! I think the area you are referring to is typical for the entire body: build a fool-proof construction and capture the essential lines. This also has a cost; the body has quite some clutter, but I hope the lines draw the most attention. Btw, it was only after establishing the lines of the cabin - the top-line of the doors and the bottom lines of the rear/side windows that I got confident in bringing this to a good end.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed!

Curse you for making this so awesome.  Now it is going to have to be on my shelf.

18 hours ago, Blakbird said:

Curse you for making this so awesome.  Now it is going to have to be on my shelf.

Thank you @Blakbird, it would be an honor :classic:. Btw, instructions are being worked on by @BusterHaus.

Here are some more suspension close-ups:

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

Great end-result! It was a lot of fun to see this creation evolve over the past few months. I'd replace the LBG 7L axle in the front with a 3L connector though, for me the axle detracts from the H...

The angles on this car are crazy... and still in system. That's a geek's dream :wub:

Whaaa? This car is absolutely AMAZING. The 8880 resemblance is cool (I have it) and i can see the tiny bits of Porsche in it. It is far better than anything that I can conceive of and is the best MOC I have found!

Good Job!

-TehcnicRCRacer

Hmmmm..... I can't say I'm a fan. I miss wheel arches and the front end just seems a bit off....I think that the hood could have been made better with more curves (you seemed to be able to do this on the rest of the body...) instead of being completely flat. I have never been a fan of primarily lift arm bodies...but as the title states you were going for "rugged" and that's what you got! There're is some nice functions, but my favourite part has to be the size of the seats to the size of the model- they are just right. I am assuming the gaping holes are by design, but I would certainly not one who would drive this car in the rain! Your suspension looks quite robust, and the fake brake Calipers look quite robust. It is nice to see this project finished. 

To those hard core Dudumos fans, this is my own two-bits, and does not need an immediate attack in defence, as I have seen in other topics. I apologize if this may seem offensive, I am just taking a different point of view. 

On 28-2-2017 at 9:39 PM, AFOLegofan66 said:

wow this is the first time  I see this.....fantastic job. I hope I can build this one day!!

I overlooked your post yesterday. Thanks!

19 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Great end-result! It was a lot of fun to see this creation evolve over the past few months. I'd replace the LBG 7L axle in the front with a 3L connector though, for me the axle detracts from the H...

The angles on this car are crazy... and still in system. That's a geek's dream :wub:

Thank you @Jeroen Ottens! Also thanks for your comments upstream. Your remarks have made me reconsider things on several occassions. For instance your hint to use small panels to get the eye-brow look. I agree the LBG axle distracts from the H-logo. I do want the holes besides the H to be covered though. Behind those holes sit two half pins - blue or LBG - that would disturb even more, Maybe a black 3L pin and a 2L pin with pins covering the holes, but I'm not a big fan of seeing naked pins.

17 hours ago, Lipko said:

Will you make pictures with white background too?

With a monotone background, yes. I plan to do that when the instructions are finished; there might still be small changes to the body. I don't know if the background will be white though, I was thinking of grey. Any particular reason why I should use white?

11 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

Whaaa? This car is absolutely AMAZING. The 8880 resemblance is cool (I have it) and i can see the tiny bits of Porsche in it. It is far better than anything that I can conceive of and is the best MOC I have found!

Good Job!

-TehcnicRCRacer

Thanks!

9 hours ago, Myers Lego Technic said:

Hmmmm..... I can't say I'm a fan. I miss wheel arches and the front end just seems a bit off....I think that the hood could have been made better with more curves (you seemed to be able to do this on the rest of the body...) instead of being completely flat. I have never been a fan of primarily lift arm bodies...but as the title states you were going for "rugged" and that's what you got! There're is some nice functions, but my favourite part has to be the size of the seats to the size of the model- they are just right. I am assuming the gaping holes are by design, but I would certainly not one who would drive this car in the rain! Your suspension looks quite robust, and the fake brake Calipers look quite robust. It is nice to see this project finished. 

To those hard core Dudumos fans, this is my own two-bits, and does not need an immediate attack in defence, as I have seen in other topics. I apologize if this may seem offensive, I am just taking a different point of view. 

Thank you for your comment. I don't perceive it as offensive at all. The most special part - to me - of this build is the chassis. It combines the simplest 4-speed AWD sequential drive-train that I have seen, a flawless shifting mechanism and advanced suspension setups with Ackermann steering, 2 studs ground clearance and 2 studs travel. All wrapped together in a very flat yet rigid and coherent structure with a mid-console width of only 5 studs. Btw, there will be separate instructions available for the chassis only.

I did not want the bodywork to make any compromises to these features, on the contrary, I wanted the body to continue the line of fool-proofness set in by the chassis. Flex-axles do not fit that image, hence no wheel arcs, they would also sit 2 studs above the hood. The result is a car that does not only look fool-proof; it is fool-proof. You can carry it by the roof, by the trunk door (rear wing), by the sides and by the bumpers without dearranging any parts. You can even grab the 2Kg build by the roof and turn it upside down to see the bottom side. So I did not intend to level with great bodywork builders such as @Paul Boratko, @Madoca 1977 or @Jeroen Ottens. To me the biggest compliment is that some refer to this model as the successor of 8865 and 8880 (see renders below :wink:).

Nevertheless your critiques make sense. The hood and the nose were the first elements of the body I worked on. I wanted to have a slightly curved hood, but I also wanted the front to be as low as possible. I left it flat and decided to work on the rest of the body first. And after establishing the doors and rear/side windows I found the flat yet inclined hood to align perfectly with the inclined plane drawn by the doors and rear/side windows, see render below. So I left the hood low and flat.

960x540.jpg960x360.jpg960x360.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

10 hours ago, Myers Lego Technic said:

Hmmmm..... I can't say I'm a fan. I miss wheel arches and the front end just seems a bit off....I think that the hood could have been made better with more curves (you seemed to be able to do this on the rest of the body...) instead of being completely flat. I have never been a fan of primarily lift arm bodies...but as the title states you were going for "rugged" and that's what you got!

You may be misunderstanding the "rugged" tag associated with this car.  It's not about its offroad capabilities (it has none) and it's not about its utilitarian look.  The ruggedness refers to the building methods that @Didumos69 used, primarily Pythagoras triangles.  They make the whole car very rigid while relying on only on legal connections.  Once you start examining the build you realize that a great deal of mathematics, thought and "engineering" went into the design.  The result is a very complex build that performs really well.  Its appearance is simply a byproduct of the design - this was not meant to be a showcase of angled panels and curved flex axles.  It's akin to comparing an Ariel Atom to a Lotus Evora - both are very nice cars, but have a different look that may not appeal to everyone.

3 hours ago, BusterHaus said:

You may be misunderstanding the "rugged" tag associated with this car.  It's not about its offroad capabilities (it has none) and it's not about its utilitarian look.  The ruggedness refers to the building methods that @Didumos69 used, primarily Pythagoras triangles.  They make the whole car very rigid while relying on only on legal connections.  Once you start examining the build you realize that a great deal of mathematics, thought and "engineering" went into the design.  The result is a very complex build that performs really well.  Its appearance is simply a byproduct of the design - this was not meant to be a showcase of angled panels and curved flex axles.  It's akin to comparing an Ariel Atom to a Lotus Evora - both are very nice cars, but have a different look that may not appeal to everyone.

I completely understood the purpose of the "Rugged" tag. A STATED in my previous post I was simply sharing my opinion, and I am not a fan of a primarily lift arm body. this does not need an immediate retort in defense. Not everyone will share the same opinion as you, @BusterHaus, and I was just sharing one of the rare negative opinions of this build, which is perfectly acceptable. 

1 hour ago, Myers Lego Technic said:

this does not need an immediate retort in defense.

Why not?  You stated an opinion, I stated mine. We're having a civilized discussion and nobody is attacking anyone. Are you suggesting that your opinion should not be discussed or go unchallenged?

1 hour ago, Myers Lego Technic said:

and I was just sharing one of the rare negative opinions of this build, which is perfectly acceptable. 

Yes, it's perfectly acceptable to voice a dissenting opinion.  What's not acceptable is you trying to shut down any discussion of it afterward. If you're posting something on a discussion board, you should be ready to discuss it.  Please note that your post made no counterpoints about the project, didn't defend your position, just asked everyone to validate your right to express an opinion.

@BusterHaus.....  I am confused- when did state that I am against discussion? A civilized discussion would not take place with the edgy bark of attitude I see so clearly in your past post. I am fine with having a discussion about my opinion, but not immediate comebacks to defend a build's reputation by those with over-inflated opinions of it. I state this not with attitude, but with thought- why immediately defend a build with already cited arguments and facts, combined with blatant statements of the obvious to minimize an opponent reputation and credibility? This isn't necessary... why not maturely state a recognition of his opinion and then your own opinion thereafter, combined with a discussion of the past opinions point, not an attack at it. Please take these points to mind at your impending comment...

10 hours ago, LvdH said:

If I had those Porsche wheels I would definitely build it, they're a bit expensive for my taste on bricklink :cry_sad: (€40+ for a set). Is it possible to replace them with the more common 42000 wheels and tires?

I'm affraid the 42000 wheels are too small. The links for the anti-roll bars and the calipers rely on the big inner diameter of the Porsche rims. The wheels of the 8448 street sensation might work though, but I did not test it.

if your budget allows, I would look out for a cheap 42056 set rather than picking up individual parts. Not just to build this model of course.

@Myers Lego Technic

You have now made two posts (since my counter arguments) without discussing this project. All you talk about is about your right to express an opinion, and that nobody should question it. 

This discussion will continue of you get back on topic, otherwise you are wasting both our time. 

Edited by BusterHaus

I'm currently working out some ideas for a final presentation video. One of the things I would like to include, are some sketchy impressions that catch the essential lines of the car. Something like this, but it could also be a more simple pen drawing. It would be awesome if there is anyone out here who is able to make such a thing and would be willing to make them for this project. Of course I would credit the designer in every publication where I use the designs.

Audi-Nanuk-Quattro-Concept-10%25255B2%25Audi-Nanuk-Quattro-Concept-11%25255B2%25

Audi-Nanuk-Quattro-Concept-12%25255B2%25

loose_car_sketch.jpg

Source: http://www.scottdesi...-im-working-on/

These are the angles I'm thinking of, but I could provide you with different angles of course.

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69