oh well.... at first i was "nah red is better" but after seeing it with the 8880 livery, well: GO FOR IT :D

That 8880 coloring is beautiful, but after seeing the black version, I got the idea to make the top red. Then, I remembered this. It's a TC5 entry by Doc Brown. The orange looked great with the black and red. So I hope you don't mind me posting my recolor on here. 

800x600.jpg 

Also agree that the red version looks better. The lines in the bodywork are lost in the all black version, however that comparison to 8880 was nice :sweet:

Fully agree with @z3_2drive

Side note: actually I don't keen on the logos (oversized logos are unduly exhibitionist and tasteless), that's why I suggested to blend (hide) them. Of course You decide in the end of the day.

12 hours ago, DugaldIC said:

Ohh this is awesome,  I live the comparison between the two.  It's a very welcomed studless alternative 

12 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

I am going to go against the grain here and offer my 2 cents.  I like the red better than the black.  If the bodywork is beautiful, and indeed it is, why hid it with the same color as the chassis, tires, etc.  It is too difficult the curves, beginning and end, etc of the body from other aspects of the car.  I like the red version more.  :thumbup::thumbup:

11 hours ago, proran said:

I'll double that. Black version looks too plain. All the beautiful lines are gone. Although, I should admit, I like the idea of the tribute to 8880. But that can be a MOD. My vote goes for the red one.

10 hours ago, piterx said:

oh well.... at first i was "nah red is better" but after seeing it with the 8880 livery, well: GO FOR IT :D

7 hours ago, Offroadcreat1ons said:

That 8880 coloring is beautiful, but after seeing the black version, I got the idea to make the top red. Then, I remembered this. It's a TC5 entry by Doc Brown. The orange looked great with the black and red. So I hope you don't mind me posting my recolor on here. 

3 hours ago, z3_2drive said:

Also agree that the red version looks better. The lines in the bodywork are lost in the all black version, however that comparison to 8880 was nice :sweet:

3 hours ago, agrof said:

Fully agree with @z3_2drive

Side note: actually I don't keen on the logos (oversized logos are unduly exhibitionist and tasteless), that's why I suggested to blend (hide) them. Of course You decide in the end of the day.

3 hours ago, LvdH said:

If you are going to build the 8880 version, I would recommend starting to collect those yellow #2 connectors, they are surprisingly hard to find. You are lucky to find a store who has 2 of them.

Thank you all for thinking with me :thumbup:. I go with the argument that the characteristic lines of the body go lost in the all black version. Actually, it was not my intention to have a vote on the color scheme, but your feedback is welcome anyway. I will - without a doubt - stick to the red / black scheme, but I will keep the idea of having a '8880 tribute edition' in the back of my mind. The only thing I will take from this at this point is that I will try to make sure that a full black or a '8880'-ish color scheme are possible without making too many changes to the model. I'm more and more tempted to plan for instructions for this MOC and it would be nice if people could pick their favorite color-scheme. The #2 connectors (yellow in the 8880-version) could for instance be replaced by normal liftarms.

But I would like to say one more thing. Coming to the current color-scheme and body-layout has been a delicate process of tuning and retuning while trying to stay away from exaggerated finery. The focus is best described by terms like 'minimalistic' and 'concept car'. I would especially like to thank @agrof and @Lipko for helping me staying on the right track and dragging me back to that focus again and again; you're help is very much appreciated :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:! It is also for that reason that I'm quite receptive to the remark of @agrof on big logo's being exhibitionist. Don't be surprised if I will drop the logo entirely anytime soon :wink:.
Edited by Didumos69

I must say, that how I like your "steppenwolf"(I've wishlist on BL for missing parts already), this one I love :wub:. I'd stay with red/black color scheme, which is well appealing and fits with supercar/offroad mixture. I also like, how it's visible your style, steppenwolf and this one are like two different brothes for me. Really great work on both of them and hopefully you'll make instructions for this beauty as well.

15 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

960x450.jpg

The resemblance to the 8880 on these pictures is really stunnung and surprised me, although you have said it earlier! That shows clearly that you successfully followed in the basic conceptional steps of the ultimate supercar of our childhood :thumbup:. Did you use the 8th letter in the alphabet for that reason to "mark" it :look:? The old one delivers 2 more functions such as rear wheel steering and pop-up headlights, but no offense to you :wink:. Yours looks much more sporty and for sure is much more rigid and resilient. Btw a few weeks ago I gathered all the old parts, including the yellowed white parts, and rebuilt mine 8880, which I probably won´t disassemble ever again. I have to admit that compared to modern studless models it looks quite bulky, unproportional and "unfiinished" and the bodywork is fragile (e.g. secured by 1/2 bushes on the outside), but the nostalgy is worth to have it always on display.

Edited by brunojj1

Wow the 8880 rendition looks just fantastic. If I were ever to build this, that is the way I would go. Maybe if the chassis was LBG or something, the body would 'pop' more. Again great work and looking to see the brick version of this

4 hours ago, muffinbrick said:

I must say, that how I like your "steppenwolf"(I've wishlist on BL for missing parts already), this one I love :wub:. I'd stay with red/black color scheme, which is well appealing and fits with supercar/offroad mixture. I also like, how it's visible your style, steppenwolf and this one are like two different brothes for me. Really great work on both of them and hopefully you'll make instructions for this beauty as well.

Thanks! Yeah, they heave the same genetics. For this one I'm particularly proud on the drive train. It's simple, runs with minimal friction and the shifting mechanism works flawlessly.

1 hour ago, brunojj1 said:

The resemblance to the 8880 on these pictures is really stunnung and surprised me, although you have said it earlier! That shows clearly that you successfully followed in the basic conceptional steps of the ultimate supercar of our childhood :thumbup:. Did you use the 8th letter in the alphabet for that reason to "mark" it :look:? The old one delivers 2 more functions such as rear wheel steering and pop-up headlights, but no offense to you :wink:. Yours looks much more sporty and for sure is much more rigid and resilient. Btw a few weeks ago I gathered all the old parts, including the yellowed white parts, and rebuilt mine 8880, which I probably won´t disassemble ever again. I have to admit that compared to modern studless models it looks quite bulky, unproportional and "unfiinished" and the bodywork is fragile (e.g. secured by 1/2 bushes on the outside), but the nostalgy is worth to have it always on display.

Thanks! I can't deny having taken a good look at 8880 when I started with the body, but i didn't look at it since. I quickly arrived at the conclusion that redoing 8880 would go against the flatness of the chassis. That the lines of the doors and the rear side of the cabin - which emerged only last week - coincide with the ones in 8880 this much, must have been the result of some kind of unconscious mechanism. The fact that the H is the 8th letter of the alphabet is a mere coincidence, even though it is a remarkable fact. It must have been the Hand of God :laugh:, LOL.

8880 indeed has two more functions, but I'm not going to pursue a 8880 revival. I think @Attika has done a great job on that already.

1 hour ago, Rishab N said:

Wow the 8880 rendition looks just fantastic. If I were ever to build this, that is the way I would go. Maybe if the chassis was LBG or something, the body would 'pop' more. Again great work and looking to see the brick version of this

Thanks! The chassis is currently mostly DBG. Yeah, let's see what it looks like in real life.

Edited by Didumos69

I updated the chassis-only LXF-file that I'm sharing on the OP to reflect all changes necessary for the body. Note that it fails two white silicon bands and uses placeholders for the Porsche hubs, rims and tires.

960x540.jpg

960x270.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

I made the necessary changes to the chassis to make it ready for the body. This includes the attachments of the bumpers. Only need to replace a few more parts in the dashboard and seats to make them completely black. Now I'm waiting for parts to continue with the body.

960x540.jpg960x540.jpg960x540.jpg960x540.jpg

Looks good, do the anti-roll bar links slide out? it seems like the ball pins would because of the angle.

On 25-1-2017 at 5:55 PM, JJ2 said:

Looks good, do the anti-roll bar links slide out? it seems like the ball pins would because of the angle.

I had a little fear for that too, but they don't. They sit there for over a month now and they never showed any signs of sliding out. And believe me, I did compress the suspension a thousand times, also only left or right. The angle averages around 90 degrees.

Something different: I made a short ruggedness-test-video. Sorry for the bad quality and the noise - kids are watching LEGO Ninjago in the background - but I think it speaks for itself :wink:.

https://youtu.be/z0oXcapgf2Y

Edited by Didumos69

Before I ordered parts for the body I did quite some rework on the self-reliance of the body and the way it is attached to the chassis. Some constructions in the roll cage were only friction-locked. For instance the slanted red liftarms just behind the front wheels and just in front of the rear wheels (I like to refer to these sections as the vehicle's shoulders and hips :wink:). Those sections partly relied on connections with 2L axles. To make these sections form-locked I made sure the slanted liftarms are now also secured with 2x4L and 3x5L liftarms that point inwards. That should make sure you can not only carry the vehicle by the roof, but also by the shoulders and hips. For those who are interested, here is the latest LXF-file of the body. And here is the latest of the chassis and here the latest of the complete model (note that this is still work in progress).

Fast%20animal%20-%20bod%20IV.lxf.pngFast%20animal%20-%20bod%20VI.lxf.png

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

I noticed that quite a lot of 42003 (Axle and Pin Connector Perpendicular 3L with 2 Pin Holes) are used in the bodywork. Is it correct that these parts are not available (yet) in orange color ?

(I was evaluating to possibly build this model in orange as I have quite some orange parts available from the Porsche and Scorpion CK-R builds... :grin:)

5 hours ago, brickhank said:

I noticed that quite a lot of 42003 (Axle and Pin Connector Perpendicular 3L with 2 Pin Holes) are used in the bodywork. Is it correct that these parts are not available (yet) in orange color ?

(I was evaluating to possibly build this model in orange as I have quite some orange parts available from the Porsche and Scorpion CK-R builds... :grin:)

3 hours ago, schraubedrin said:

It seems this part does exist, but only in this one set: 8755: Bionicle Keetongu

2 hours ago, legolijntje said:

That's a different orange than the 'normal' (Porsche) orange though.

That part is not available in orange. Also not in white. I optimized parts usage for red or black bodywork. If you want to build this with mostly Porsche parts, then I think it's best to go for an all black body with orange accents. But please note that this is still work in progress. I still need to build the body and I'm sure things will change down the road.

Just now, Didumos69 said:

That part is not available in orange. Also not in white. I optimized parts usage for red or black bodywork. If you want to build this with mostly Porsche parts, then I think it's best to go for an all black body with orange accents. But please note that this is still work in progress. I still need to build the body and I'm sure things will change down the road.

Don't worry, I still have the Scorpion CK-R MOC project to concentrate on first. Just received the last remaining missing parts (of course, the currently quite rare 32016 connector #3 's) :grin:

But I will keep a close eye on your progress as well...

Good luck with the testing and optimization before final release !

1 hour ago, davebarrett said:

Do you plan on releasing instructions?

Yes, I do. Either a photo sequence, or - if I find someone willing to make them (any volunteers?) - full-blown instructions.

This project has generated more attention than I expected. To make it accessible to a wider audience I'm also thinking of dropping the torsion bars. They may cause damage to the axles involved, as has been reported by @zux. This was also a concern of @Meatman. Instead I hope to be able to tweak the suspension - and obtain a subtle rake angle - by using double hard springs for the rear axles and pairs of soft and hard springs for the front axles. But I can only test this when I know the weight of the body and I'm still waiting for parts. I wil hold on to the anti-roll bars though, as they are far less likely to cause damage. They are not stressed under the vehicles weight.

Edited by Didumos69

Finally I received most of the parts to build the real life body! And of course I started building right away! So far no big changes to the design. I improved some connections and I had to lift the HoG by half a stud, it is now attached to a 5.5L axle with stop. I also reverted to hard springs for the rear axles and dropped the use of the axles holding the upper wishbones as torsion bars. I placed yellow bushes at the ends of these axles as a silent witness :wink:. I plan to do the same for the front axles, but in that case with pairs of soft and hard springs.

These images show how some of the slanted liftarms are secured. Everything 'in system' :wink:.

960x540.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

It's great to see this coming together with real bricks. It looks fantastic. Did you decide on the tires yet?

Edited by BusterHaus

5 hours ago, BusterHaus said:

It's great to see this coming together with real bricks. It looks fantastic. Did you decide on the tires yet? 

Thanks! Yes, I will stick to the Porsche tires. I'm not very keen on going third party. The motorcycle tires are not an option, see this post from @schraubedrin.

The roll cage behaves as expected :classic:. I had to make a few changes to make it buildable, but without affecting its sturdiness. Btw, I could replace the 15L liftarms underneath the side/rear windows with axle connectors as was suggested by @Lipko a few weeks back. The spoiler no longer depends on the angle made by these beams, so it only serves as decoration now. I made this change a long time ago, but decided to wait until I could build it for real.

(A few parts still didn't arrive, so I used a few parts with different colors, but I will fix that later.)

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

Looking very sturdy indeed and as always it looks soo much better made with actual Lego.  How are you liking your design coming from the ldd,  are you pleased with the results?