Raskolnikov

Build Your Own Plus Size AT-AT

I just looked through your instructions, I really like this build. Maybe someday I will attempt this. It's funny, all you basically did was double the size of the set to be a more accurate scale.

Can I ask, how you  made your instructions?

It's funny, all you basically did was double the size of the set to be a more accurate scale.

Haha, I've said that from the get-go.  I definitely didn't set out to build an AT-AT, since other people have already done that really well.  I just had two AT-AT sets and thought I could "embiggen" them without too much work (it ended up being more work than I thought it would be, but isn't it always?).

As for how the instructions are made, I think Legolijntje (who made the pdf) answered that somewhere in this thread.

Thanks again to Raskolnikov for creating this wonderful MOC and legolijntje for making it possible for anyone to build it. I'm also loving the little mods with the sand blue, will definitely be incorporating those changes myself. 

No problem, hope you enjoy building it!

Still need to find some time to build the 3rd, but I did make a 96x96 studs (80x80 cm) lay-out (on paper/LDD) as a display model with the 3 AT-AT, 2 AT-ST mods and some rebel trenches. 

Decided to go for a 'smaller' studs base as I would like to focus on the AT-ATs and Imperials. Will be posting pictures when I've completed it, but I think that could take a while haha.  

I'm definitely looking forward to that.  It has also been used in two big Scarif MOCs that I know of (one with AT-ACT mods finished--the other still has those mods on the to-do list, I think).  But I haven't see it in a Hoth setup yet, apart from my own attempt to get some Hoth pictures. 

It turns out that setting up a cool-looking Hoth battle is harder than it looks.  It just takes up a huge amount of space if you try to cram everything in.  I tried to take some pics of my two walkers attacking my modded Assault on Hoth playset, but none of them turned out well.  I think I only shared that one closer-up pic with snowspeeders.  So I think your decision to focus on an Imperial attack force probably makes a lot of sense. 

Yea I did see the videos for the Scarif moc, but he goes all in, which is very cool when you can, and that's something I can't do here with limited space. As for the Hoth scenes: Thanks. I always envy the big Hoth mocs, but always thought I looked too empty and/or dull. If I do something like this I want a very nice display model and that's why I made a 2500 piece 'underside of the eventual moc' (don't know what the correct word is.. Most people use the 2x4 rooftiles for this part of a moc). I want to start right now although I should finish other projects first :p 

Good news! Total Bricklink cost to buy the other 46% of parts I don't have is $110, minus s&h. All pieces are new, every store except 1 is in the good ole US... now to scrounge up a hundred bucks...

Received my big order of bricks from the LEGO Shop on Monday. So altogether I have about 63% of the bricks in hand. I see that I can order many more through LEGO's replacement brick system, so I will go that route for the next batch. Whatever is left will get ordered from BrickLink. It's all coming together! :laugh:

4 hours ago, Hell_Hawk_33 said:

Received my big order of bricks from the LEGO Shop on Monday. So altogether I have about 63% of the bricks in hand. I see that I can order many more through LEGO's replacement brick system, so I will go that route for the next batch. Whatever is left will get ordered from BrickLink. It's all coming together! :laugh:

Can I ask why you are ordering parts from the Lego shop and not all from Bricklink? Unless it's a very rare part, Bricklink is probably the easiest and cheapest option for all parts. Just curious really... 

On 2017-4-25 at 2:31 AM, Smitty500 said:

Can I ask, how you  made your instructions?

I made an LDraw model of the AT-AT using LDCad and Raskolnikov's photo-instructions. I also used LDCad to add the necessary steps.
I then loaded the LDraw file into LPub3D and used that program to format and layout the instructions.

That's a really short and simplified explanation, but at the very basic that's how they were made :wink:

8 hours ago, Davenocheese said:

Can I ask why you are ordering parts from the Lego shop and not all from Bricklink? Unless it's a very rare part, Bricklink is probably the easiest and cheapest option for all parts. Just curious really... 

I'm a sucker for VIP Points. :laugh:

On 4/28/2017 at 7:21 PM, Hell_Hawk_33 said:

I'm a sucker for VIP Points. :laugh:

Tell me about it... bought the Death Star when it was triple points there a few weeks ago :look:

17 hours ago, Davenocheese said:

Tell me about it... bought the Death Star when it was triple points there a few weeks ago :look:

Not to derail the thread but how much does that equate to a rebate? You get $75 to spend on Lego or your country's equivalent right?

On 2017-04-29 at 3:38 PM, Davenocheese said:

Yep so did I. :classic:

12 hours ago, Forresto said:

Not to derail the thread but how much does that equate to a rebate? You get $75 to spend on Lego or your country's equivalent right?

Every $1 spent on a LEGO product from the LEGO Shop is equivalent to 1 VIP Points. 100 VIP Points is worth $5. So if you purchase a $100 set, you'll receive100 points or $5 in VIP Points you can use on your next purchase. Or you can save them. Thanks to ordering the Death Star and a few other sets during the last Double VIP Points event I'm up to $90 worth of VIP Points in my account.

Hell Hawk covered it perfectly there... I've since redeemed some points (Assembly Square) but I'm currently left with €75 worth of VIP points. I try and only use Lego S@H during double / triple VIP point events or when they have a sale on.

Back on topic, my huge order from Italy included wrong parts in my order so now I have to wait for replacements before I can finish the build!!

Almost done with my build! I am left with the head and the bum.... can't wait to complete it tonight! :sweet:

Alright. I'm currently working on my layout for the eventual ATAT display so I thought I would share it you guys. 

(WIP) Giant Hoth MOC layout inspired by Benjamins Giant Chess SW Moc.

(WIP) Giant Hoth MOC layout inspired by Benjamins Giant Chess SW MOC

It's 96x96 studs and should be able to display at least 2 (3 is possible, but I thing that would be overkill as it isn't that much of a display space. 

The gap is going to be a Rebel Trench. I'll talk about everything later when I have more time, but you should get the idea. :)

i've finished mine (changed something according to my part availability)

...and, made a small diorama for it.
It has been displayed in an event in italy and i think that now there are someone else who's attempting to build one of your beautiful AT-ATs :laugh:

You know Raskol, with the success of the plus-size AT-AT, the door is wide open for a plus-size ISD :)

Alright. I'm currently working on my layout for the eventual ATAT display so I thought I would share it you guys. 

Looking great so far!

It has been displayed in an event in italy and i think that now there are someone else who's attempting to build one of your beautiful AT-ATs 

Excellent work on that diorama!  Azrielsc just displayed his AT-AT in Singapore, too, so it has become quite the world traveler. 

You know Raskol, with the success of the plus-size AT-AT, the door is wide open for a plus-size ISD :)

We're working on the pdf instructions now.  For good or for ill, though, it's a ~9k-piece monstrosity.  I.e., it lacks the AT-AT's attempts to be economical in favor of a fully detailed approach.  But who knows, someone with a custom Death Star room might be able to build one :)

2 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

We're working on the pdf instructions now.  For good or for ill, though, it's a ~9k-piece monstrosity.

giphy.gif

9 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

We're working on the pdf instructions now.  For good or for ill, though, it's a ~9k-piece monstrosity. 

Fast forward 6 months from now and a 1x2 lbg tile will be fetching $0.80 on Bricklink haha ;)

2 hours ago, Azrielsc said:

Plus-sized 9,000 piece count ISD??!! *Faint*

Well, more like Plus-Plus-Plus sized :wink:
Although, a big chunk of the piece count is from all the inside details I think.

9 hours ago, legolijntje said:

Well, more like Plus-Plus-Plus sized :wink:
Although, a big chunk of the piece count is from all the inside details I think.

Holy crap I was just joking, and then you guys drop that on us??  Are we talking a little bigger than 10030 but somehow contains an interior?  Because that would be just about the greatest thing ever. 

11 minutes ago, Schneeds said:

Holy crap I was just joking, and then you guys drop that on us??  Are we talking a little bigger than 10030 but somehow contains an interior?  Because that would be just about the greatest thing ever. 

I don't know how much (if any) Raskolnikov wants to keep secret, so I leave all the details up to him. In fact, I personally don't know the size of the build compared to 10030 either. But there's definitely a full interior. :classic:

Are we talking a little bigger than 10030 but somehow contains an interior?  Because that would be just about the greatest thing ever. 

It's roughly the same size as the 10030, I think, but it's not based on the set and has a very different design.  The much higher part count basically comes from the tiles, greebles, support structure, and interior (which includes two cute little TIEs).  Like other things I build, it's intended to mix aesthetics with a bit of playability -- we'll see if that appeals to anyone in the "adults with $1000 to blow on Lego" demo lol.

Anyway, I haven't taken any pics of the final exterior yet, and it's in a state of partial disassembly for the purposes of making instructions.  So uh, hang tight for a month or so--I dunno exactly--and we'll show everything off all at once.  But since we're now working on legolijntje's side of things, it's definitely on its way.