Raskolnikov

Build Your Own Plus Size AT-AT

21 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

If it'd help, I think at least four of the 1x16s would look fine in black -- the ones supporting the hinges/snot panels on the body.  There are probably a bunch more color substitutions that can be made without much impact -- I just buy lots of lbg and dbg, so that's what I end up building with even if it's covered up.

Cool, I have been looking to see what is hidden to use other colors. So close...

Finally recieved the last BL order I needed - the build can commence!  Only issue was it was impossible to find the scala dishes in LBG so I've gone with DBG for them, which I'm OK with.  I intend to throw a little bit more DBG and also some sand blue into the mix in order to fit in with the style of the most recent AT-ST.  This is the first time I've followed someone else's moc instructions and it's also going to be a Father & Son project - really excited!

Edited by Richpepperell
I can't spell

Started building this a week or so ago.  Started with the fuselage first before doing the legs.  About halfway through building the first leg at this point.  Really have enjoyed the build (for the most part) so far.  Have great admiration for the techniques used to create the shape of the main body and the design of how the feet can flex at the base of the legs.

Thanks again for making this MOC available and for the instructions!

Hell yeah!

Just finished this beauty. Build was surprisingly fast to build considering amount of details and blocks. Thx for amazing redesign and detailed manual :)

[there were several errors thou, and misleading steps - I was using latest pdf] 

atat4.jpg

Glad you like it!

If you have time to list any specific issues with the instructions, we're always interested in that kind of feedback.  Neither of us has actually used the manual to build one ourselves, so we're kind of relying on you guys to do the quality assurance work.

Hi Raskolnikov,

Instruction is great, just had couple troubles reading it but mostly due to my way of building models :)

I'm made some screenshots with some description, have fun :D

http://imgur.com/a/hgRc7

Thx again for the best model I had pleasure to build! 

4 hours ago, mcgrah said:

Hi Raskolnikov,

Instruction is great, just had couple troubles reading it but mostly due to my way of building models :)

The LBG 1x3 tile from pages 16 and 36 go on the inside of the legs as far as I could tell. You can see it there later in the instructions.

Sorry for the primitive pointer!

32372195640_99b80f2e59_z_d.jpg

Some really useful points you made here though - thanks.

Edited by Richpepperell

Thanks, those screenshots definitely are helpful.  Very clear way of providing feedback, too (I should do it that way myself, in the future).

Richpepperell is correct about the 1x3 tiles, and I think someone mentioned them in the Rebrickable comments as well.

We'll probably stick with the current version of the instructions for the time being, since there don't seem to be any build-breaking issues.  Still good to keep tabs on this stuff, though.

Edited by Raskolnikov

I think I saw most of those issues with the build, but I was able to figure them out. The one thing I do agree with is adding those round pieces last! They fell off so many times! Good memories! :)

On 6-2-2017 at 5:40 PM, mcgrah said:

Hi Raskolnikov,

Thanks for the feedback! Really appreciated :thumbup:

Regarding the orientation of the plate 2x2 with technic hole: there's not much I can do about that, it's a limitation of the software.
And about zooming in on the head: it's also kind of a limitation of the software. The software (LPub3D btw) always zooms in to the center of the model. There's a hack though; by placing an invisible brick somewhere far away from the model, the center of the model changes and thus the software zooms in to another spot. I didn't really had time to do tricks like that, the instructions were done really quick. I never expected all the enthusiasm and popularity. If I knew that beforehand, I would've certainly done some things differently :laugh: :grin:

The other things are relatively easy to fix though, might do that when I have some time. :classic:

16 hours ago, legolijntje said:

The software (LPub3D btw) always zooms in to the center of the model.

Perfect!  Thanks.  So it looks like you import a digital model into  LPub3D, and it creates the instructions, correct?  Do you know what software was used to do the modeling itself?

2 hours ago, kibosh said:

Perfect!  Thanks.  So it looks like you import a digital model into  LPub3D, and it creates the instructions, correct?  Do you know what software was used to do the modeling itself?

check around the ldraw.org site. thats the central hub for the tools based around the ldraw format

33 minutes ago, masterX244 said:

check around the ldraw.org site. thats the central hub for the tools based around the ldraw format

Thanks.  Checking around now.  It looks like there is some Mac support, but not as much as for PC.

3 hours ago, kibosh said:

Well, yes and no. LPub3D doesn't create the instructions (as in the steps and all of that). It's a tool to generate the instructions and make a nice layout.
The actual creation of the steps, rotations, submodels all of that is all manually done. It's really a lot of work.

I made the digital model using a program called LDcad. It's a really powerful tool, but it does have a slightly steep learning curve. And, it's only for Windows and Linux...
Most of the LDraw based software is actually often only for Windows (and Linux). There are a few programs out there for Mac (such as Bricksmith), but they are often not as feature-rich or modern as their Windows 'competitors'. 

And if you have any other questions regarding LDraw, LDCad, LDD, LPub3D or whatever, feel free to make a topic here:classic:

Awesome, I still get a lot of enjoyment out of seeing pics of it in different settings.  Glad you liked it!

Did you have to modify the "knee-caps" by any chance?  I like putting it in a walking pose where the legs that are swept back are straight, while the legs taking steps forward have a bent knee.  I'm not sure the knee-caps are designed to cooperate with other poses quite as well. 

Kinda like this gif, but it's hard to capture exactly: 

6cabee10f9e53c32f1b8043acd63e941.gif

3 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

Awesome, I still get a lot of enjoyment out of seeing pics of it in different settings.  Glad you liked it!

Did you have to modify the "knee-caps" by any chance?  I like putting it in a walking pose where the legs that are swept back are straight, while the legs taking steps forward have a bent knee.  I'm not sure the knee-caps are designed to cooperate with other poses quite as well. 

Kinda like this gif, but it's hard to capture exactly: 

6cabee10f9e53c32f1b8043acd63e941.gif

Yes, I shortened the 'trims' on the front and rear edges of the legs above the knee joints by one stud. I never thought of keeping the trailing legs straight....Doh!

And I absolutely love it!

Edited by richiejwalker

The sand blue and dbg additions are really cool, I like that it's a very restrained use of the colors.  Bet it looks good next to an AT-ST!

Managed to get all the parts for ATAT #2 and #3. Now I need the spirit to build them haha. 

Those sand blue / DBG parts are really nice additions :) 

I'm actually really pleased with the colour swaps - it looks great next to the AT-ST. 

20170216_213319

I've also had a little tinker with the top deck of the interior to make it easier to load up the snow troopers. There's room for 6 seated troopers, but you can also still fit 6 standing. 

20170216_16291420170216_16295520170216_16300420170216_163029

My favourite touch - the stickered tile from 8129 - "Maximum firepower!"

20170216_162934

My only problem is, now I've made Blizzard One, I want to make the entire strike force!