ProvenceTristram

[MOC] Mon Calamari MC40 Light Cruiser 'Log Horizon'

Well, it wound up being bigger than I projected.

First, though, a little background. The MC40 light cruiser made its initial debut way back in the mid 1990s, being featured (relatively) prominently in the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games. In the latter in particular I recall it being quite the tough nut to crack - lots of concussion missiles; a forest of ion cannon batteries; and boasting a full squadron of Alliance fighters... in a word: filthy. 

In a Lego sense, one of the nicer things about the MC40 is its traditional shape - kind of a fat, stubby MC80 Liberty type. This makes for a great deal of usable interior space - which I took advantage of, while also making sure to cram every other gap with reinforcing full-height bricks. The result, I think, is fairly pleasing to the eye (I went with a white-based color scheme as opposed to grey simply because I believe the rebel ships should look different from their Imperial counterparts when set side by side), and should be sturdy enough to be moved, displayed, etc. without showing any signs of sagging or completely falling apart.  

From a purely practical standpoint, I view the model's 3,500 pieces as essentially representing a 'max attainable' capital ship for most people (ballpark $1000). That's a lot of scratch no matter how you look at it, but for a 'centerpiece' model like this, I feel like it's worth it - this is the type of vessel you can truly build a fleet around, and in conjunction with a few supporting ships (say, my Dreadnaught and a couple of Peltas or a Nebulon-B) it could definitely realistically hope to take down a Star Destroyer.

Anyhoo, on to the model. First, the prototype:

lftg3hl.jpgBHekW95.jpg1VzHMwZ.jpgFWTIBMV.jpgx6TT9gC.jpgDDe9iBE.jpgTdpbNdL.png

As you can see, there's a wide disparity between 'takes' on this ship - with people failing to agree even on which side the hangar bay is located on. I elected to lean most heavily towards the recent renderings by people who construct models for Star Wars: Armada. Not only did I feel like this was the best compromise version (though it conspicuously lacks a hangar at all), but it also embodies a bit fuller look than the more traditional circa 1990s incarnations.

The exterior:

7fr08YO.pngvQcKwfZ.pngvwk4Wvd.png1P0hmGs.pngDDtgaSX.pngYm7pAo6.png

You might note that I tried to keep the SNOTing at an absolute minimum this time. I went this route largely out of consideration for the model's size - the more crazy a modeler goes with all that side-mounting, the more fragile the final product actually is. With so much open space inside, I wanted the base hull form to be rock solid.

The interior:

Admiral's quarters, featuring a bed, desk, shower, toilet, lamp/night stand, computer, and holo-projector, all enclosed in a fine wood-paneled cocoon:

x1JTC53.pngObkrgCc.png

Command Bridge, with front windows overlooking the hangar bay via forced perspective, a briefing room with Star Destroyer projection, and the main bridge, with windows looking out onto a studded star field (difficult to see in Bluerender, but it's there), and the Mon Calamari's preferred arm-mounted CO's chair:

T5NRIvz.pnguqkJYgf.png

Medical Bay/sleeping quarters, with four beds, an accessible Bacta tank, and other odds and ends:

O3aUZVQ.png

Cantina, with serving droid, exotic drink wall and beer barrels (not visible, but behind the droid), table and bar:

cRpdDe3.png

Main engineering:

OQ1Mguz.png

Full exterior (unpainted) with all panels open:

RKX0LZW.png

Please let me know what you think!

wysWnQG.gif

Edited by ProvenceTristram

I saw Log Horizon in the title, so I came. :grin: I don't really get why it's called that, only thing I can think of is the colour scheme? I'm not a real SW, that could be the problem. Bonus points for the Shiroe gif, though. :wink:

The ship has cool and weird shaping on the outside and a nice interior as well, with the conference room and Star Destroyer hologram. :thumbup: 

Edited by Exetrius

19 hours ago, Exetrius said:

I saw Log Horizon in the title, so I came. :grin: I don't really get why it's called that, only thing I can think of is the colour scheme? I'm not a real SW, that could be the problem. Bonus points for the Shiroe gif, though. :wink:

The ship has cool and weird shaping on the outside and a nice interior as well, with the conference room and Star Destroyer hologram. :thumbup: 

Eh, I just named it that because I like the show. It never ever occurred to me that it was essentially wearing "Shiroe colors," though that is kind of amusing.

As an Armada player I recognize those first two reference images as Mel's Customs? 

Anyways excellent rendition of the ship! 

On 11/13/2016 at 10:40 PM, Forresto said:

As an Armada player I recognize those first two reference images as Mel's Customs? 

Anyways excellent rendition of the ship! 

Yup. The design has evolved over time - it's still strictly legends material, but so are half the Armada ships out there. Part of me kind of wishes that someone would have added additional engines to the underhull... but another part kind of likes the sort of bare-bones design, especially when so many other Mon Cal boats seem to be all hyperdrive in the back. 

A really amazing build! I love the interior details, although I would place the bridge more on the front.

It is a shame there are not that many of the inverted slope, you probably would need a few 100 to build it.

The ship itself is not a particularly interesting model IMO (typical mon cal ship which is just a bunch of lumps slapped on each other), but well done with the MOC, you've managed to fill it with a really nice interior!

Nice rendering of a not so appealing ship and kudo for the interior.

I do enjoy the holo star destroyer.

Only saw this MOC and your other Calamari Starship just now, and I just have to say they both look very nice!

I was wondering if you are intending to design some more? Like the Liberty and Home One cruisers, they seem definitely more possible now in this size considering how these two turned out.