GBTechnic

New C Model for the 42042 Crawler Crane --- A really cool GBC model

yeah.. will post some... no.. not keeping it pure.. My Lego is to be mixed up and added/removed as needed.. heck I only bought the BWE as a parts pack!  after a big Brickvention GBC exhibition in January, there's a high chance by BWE will be broken up and never built again (might build B model, though)

Maybe a small, but important notice. The 42042 GBC is not a official C-model because is needs more parts than the original 42042 contains. If you create a BOM from the LXF file you will see some differences in part lists. Mostly pins like 6590, 2780, 32002 and 4274 and beam 40490.

37 minutes ago, Freezer118 said:

Maybe a small, but important notice. The 42042 GBC is not a official C-model because is needs more parts than the original 42042 contains. If you create a BOM from the LXF file you will see some differences in part lists. Mostly pins like 6590, 2780, 32002 and 4274 and beam 40490.

Strange, I were able to build it with no parts missing. Could it be that he also uses the few extra spare parts that lego always puts in every set?

What few extra parts that Lego always puts in sets?

I've never been aware of extra parts - always had to buy my own extras if required.

4 minutes ago, DaveDoc said:

What few extra parts that Lego always puts in sets?

I've never been aware of extra parts - always had to buy my own extras if required.

Lego always puts e.g. some extra black pins, those short light gray pins etc. in the set in case you lose one. Those few extra parts are not listed in the parts list.

Yeh, I actually counted all the parts when unpacking the box, and it was always the case that the exact number of parts were included.

Funny that some builds need just 1 more that part you haven't got!

1 hour ago, DaveDoc said:

...and it was always the case that the exact number of parts were included...

I have always some parts left over, mostly the black connectors.

Life, work, kids and LDD software frustrations are delaying my progress on building this model.  I sorely miss the ease of knowing the right axle length, not having the building instructions change every time I open the sofware again after shutting it down for the night...  If anyone knows an LDD tip or secret to identify axle or liftarm lengths quickly, please let me know..  Until then, the company/guy has produced ANOTHER GBC model/C-Model based on this set (3 total) and the building instructions are already available.  (see video linked above)

Edited by GBTechnic
deleted video link since I didn't see that another post cited it first

@technicfan 

I do not think so.  instead of being self contained modules that are built into a chain, each GBC/C Model is more of a self contained loop.  Only the last of the three midels for 42042 is readily usable in a true GBC module way.  Of course that does not prevent you from getting creative!

Edited by GBTechnic

Hello GBTechnic,

To distuingish parts in real life, I would pick-up refrence pieces first to compare: 3M axle - 4M axle - 5M axle...; 3M beam - 5M beam - 7M beam... After a while You will see automaticly, which part is which. :wink:

To do this in LDD, You just click on the part in LDD, and on the left bottom corner of the editor scene it shows the name of the part:

K_pkiv_g_s.jpg

It is really a pity, that they don't offer PDF step-by-step instructions, LDD could work, but as I assume these are not even made with groups - which would be helpful. (FYI: I downloaded one free "instruction" from PV website, and it has no groups. This file seems to be no longer available.)

This is how groups should look like (example):

K_p1.png

For Technic LDD is really a hard task, You need quite some experience to be able figure out the connection order.

2 hours ago, agrof said:

To distuingish parts in real life, I would pick-up refrence pieces first to compare: 3M axle - 4M axle - 5M axle...; 3M beam - 5M beam - 7M beam... After a while You will see automaticly, which part is which. :wink:

To do this in LDD, You just click on the part in LDD, and on the left bottom corner of the editor scene it shows the name of the part:

Hey agrof, thanks for sharing the trick:)

2 hours ago, agrof said:

It is really a pity, that they don't offer PDF step-by-step instructions, LDD could work, but as I assume these are not even made with groups - which would be helpful. (FYI: I downloaded one free "instruction" from PV website, and it has no groups. This file seems to be no longer available.)

They now have full hd building instructions for the gbc 10 and the new extended belt lift module. I got them and they are truly great! I also mailed the guy for gbc 11 and they are working on it.

The file is still available but you have to go to the product page via the menu :: http://pv-productions.com/product/lego-vertical-car-parking-system-sam-labs-curious/

4 hours ago, GBTechnic said:

Of course that does not prevent you from getting creative!

The last module should be indeed really easy to implement into the other gbcs. or eg replace the belt module in gbc 10 maybe?

10 hours ago, agrof said:

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see the part description in "building mode" which I use to generate the step by step instructions (there are no groups as you said).  Either way, I am progressing but its slow going.  If high resolution pdf files are simply an exported version of the "building mode" steps, I am not sure if they are good enough because I often have to manipulate the model picture (left, right, up, down) to get a good view of where the piece needs to go.  Anyways... 60% done and for anyone who hasn't built it yet, I highly recommend adding in the batteries early so you can make sure the gears and mechanisms are working along the way.

This is my first LDD build so I don't want anyone to assume my struggles are the fault of the LDD file or the instructions.  Aside from adding in groups, which would have been nice, most of my difficulties are due to my lack of familiarity with the software.

15 hours ago, agrof said:

Thanks for the correction Carl86, I didn't noticed that (obviously :classic:).

Full HD PDFs are great, now I see they put screenshot for some model - wich makes things better to justify: http://pv-productions.com/product/lego-gbc-starters-pack/ :thumbup:

100% agree.  I saw your note and went exploring to figure out why I didn't get the HD PDF files... Well I ordered it on November 7th so I guess I jumped the gun too soon so I planned to email the PV Production folks and politely ask for the file... well they had already sent me an updated link to download the file earlier today without my having to ask.  I like that!!!  The pdf file is 47 mb large but the instructions are beautiful...  I wish I had these to start.  I won't be using the LDD file anymore!  FYI the axle lengths are still not indicated but other than that the HD pdf instructions are high quality!  :thumbup::thumbup:

Great news, and very good customer service from PV-Productions. Glad to hear that, and that thus your problem is solved. :thumbup:

LDD building guide mode doesn't indicates the part's properties indeed, didn't thought about that user surface, as LDD can not handle Technic building sequences...

My main frustration with the build from a LDD file is the build order of some beams and pins. First you connect some beams with pins, it sort of "closes" and the following step adds a new beam or pin but you'll have to take the previous steps apart to add them. I not familiar with LDD so I don't know if the steporder can be adjusted but it is pretty frustrating.

Also I'm missing some added information about timing. The 2 red swinging arms in the GBC11 (42054 GBC) can't just be connected, they need to be accuratly postioned so the ball will be picked up and transfered at exactly the right place and moment. In the GBC10 (42042) are also some timed mechanisms without the timing information. 

3 hours ago, Freezer118 said:

In the GBC10 (42042) are also some timed mechanisms without the timing information. 

I found myself building it without any problem s. In the pdfthey explain carefully how to adjust the pins to make it work.

If anyone was hesitating buying this model or like me wanted a second set for modding or other purposes, Toys"R"Us in the United States has this set on sale for $90 USD.  That's a 44% savings off the MSRP and the best price for a new set I've seen in the U.S (I bought it for $139 in September).  No idea if the deal lasts beyond today so get it while it's cheap!

Edited by GBTechnic

I'm struggling a lot trying to get GBC 10 to work. I seem unable to make the gearbox work as intended and the ferris wheel sometimes hangs and never lands the ball as should be. I also have issues with the sprocket wheel lifting mechanism.Anyone has hints?

27 minutes ago, Samer said:

I'm struggling a lot trying to get GBC 10 to work. I seem unable to make the gearbox work as intended and the ferris wheel sometimes hangs and never lands the ball as should be. I also have issues with the sprocket wheel lifting mechanism.Anyone has hints?

I e-mail PV productions earlier this evening as I too was having trouble following LDD instructions  and by return I recieved the HD PDF download which includes detailed instructions on how to set the various levers & gears to get the timings correct.

The earlier downloads did not include the HD PDF.

Just now, Doug72 said:

I e-mail PV productions earlier this evening as I too was having trouble following LDD instructions  and by return I recieved the HD PDF download which includes detailed instructions on how to set the various levers & gears to get the timings correct.

The earlier downloads did not include the HD PDF.

I got pdf taken seems fromLDD when I purchased. Not very nice instruction. Now I wonder if you got the same. I contacted them today asking for help.

7 hours ago, Samer said:

I got pdf taken seems fromLDD when I purchased. Not very nice instruction. Now I wonder if you got the same. I contacted them today asking for help.

I was in the same situation but am still not far enough along to worry about final mechanism timing issues.  I got the HD PDF instructions sent to me so I would check your old emails because the company automatically sent me the updated file without me having to ask... and these instructions are VERY GOOD.  

PV Productions has released a new GBC based on the 42043 MB Arocs. 

It includes Full HD instructions, brief with tips and tricks, extra pictures and a pneumatic schematic.

LEGO GBC 12 – 42043

Edited by Freezer118