GBTechnic

New C Model for the 42042 Crawler Crane --- A really cool GBC model

I have been shamelessly plugging the Lego Technic 42042 Crawler Crane over in the "What should I buy" thread here at Eurobricks but I just came across a new reason to buy it that I thought was relevant to a more general audience.  A company in Europe called PV Productions has created a C-Model that is a GBC contraption.  (No relation, ownership nor knowledge of who they are.)  calls it a D Model because he has two GBC C models created from the set, but only the D Model is available for purchase now... and purchase it, I did!  My seven year old son is into small Lego Techic models as he doesn't have enough patience to build the 1,000+ piece models, but after showing him the video, he wants to build it with me this weekend.  Only problem... I don't own any of the Lego soccer or basketballs that are used for GBC models and I have no desire to pay the crazy $2.50+ costs per ball!!:thumbdown:  

I've attached a video below (I assume that's okay) to the Youtube video he created of the D model.  I'll be picking up the C-Model as soon as it's available for purchase.  He also has pending future GBC models for sales that are all C Models of 42043, 42054 and another that is a 2 set C Model but I cannot recall which...  Watch the video and you want to buy the set and want to figure out how to buy some Lego balls or alternatives.  If soeone has a good recommendation for an alternate source, I would love to know it.

Update:  just checked my Paypal receipt and the PV stands for Phillip Verbeek, I think.

Edited by GBTechnic
added the owner's/creator's name

Wow this is pretty ingenious. Would not have expected a GBC module as a C model. Looking at his Youtube channel there are a few more GBC C models all worth checking out IMO

That's incredible! Makes me want to buy a 42042,  42043 and 42054. I find these GBC more interesting that others because they are alternative models, that  means limited pieces and just 1 motor! :thumbup:

How I have not seen these models before? :look:

Thank you for sharing :laugh:

Edited by Jonfensu

That's a really nice C model, good idea to turn official sets in GBC modules.

For the balls, I used the "Quercetti Marbles Refill 100 pieces" as recommended on planet GBC. Really good price to get started and works well.

Edited by Minique85

5 hours ago, Rishab N said:

Looking at his Youtube channel there are a few more GBC C models all worth checking out IMO

For me a GBC model, unless sold by Lego would seem to be prohibitively expensive to buy all the necessary parts due to the inclusion of system bricks (which I never buy), the sheer number of parts needed and my limited budget :wink:.  But to be able to buy a current set and have it have a GBC C Model with instructions  to boot is a big deal.  This guy has some more GBC C Models already and they are supposed it be released as follows:

42042 #2 - July 1018

42054 -  end of November 2016

42052 - July 2018

42043 - July 2018

There are already YouTube videos for all these GBC C models and the image quality and editing are very good.  Only problem is that he appears to be taking a sabbatical in 2017 per his release dates for more instructions.  As I said earlier, I bought the 42042 set and am just starting to learn the LDD software for this and other rebrickable.com instructions I've found but the packaged zip file was in good order and I appreciated the inclusion of an HTML file with the instructions too (although I would have preferred a PDF file).

1 hour ago, Minique85 said:

For the balls, I used the "Quercetti Marbles Refill 100 pieces" as recommended on planet GBC. Really good price to get started and works well.

I ran across that recommendation too but I haven't been able to find any vendors selling it in the USA yet.  I'd buy the balls from the same site (their specs exactly match the official Lego weight and size) but I'm too impatient to wait for a shipment from Europe and too cheap to rush the delivery. Cost is 16 EUR for 50 white or orange balls.

Edited by GBTechnic
Spelling

I wrote it before, I am writing it again. 42042 is the most underrated set ever. IMO 42042 is the best set in last 5-6 years when it comes to design, functions, MOD-ability, playability, Cmodel-ability, fun, appearance. On top of that it is not so expensive. Seems strange that general attitude towards 42042 is like: "yeah, OK" instead of adoration it deserves.

GBC model is really cool! 

Edited by J_C

1 hour ago, Minique85 said:

I used the same brand, different pack.  Works well.  Couldn't find them on Amazon US though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Outlet/Bag-Refill-60-Marbles-14-19-colors/B013RLOEFK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478592776&sr=8-1&keywords=Quercetti+Marbles

2 hours ago, GBTechnic said:

I'd buy the balls from the same site (their specs exactly match the official Lego weight and size) but I'm too impatient to wait for a shipment from Europe and too cheap to rush the delivery. Cost is 16 EUR for 50 white or orange balls.

I got them from PV and shipping was not that bad, and around 10 bucks. ships to everywhere it looks. Also gives them some support to keep on going I guess. hope so

http://pv-productions.com/product/lego-gbc-balls/

Guys in Europe who got interested  in 42042 its 33% discounted now on amazon.de

Some LEGO creations really go way ahead and this guy (company) is definitely a major player here. The video of the MB arocs C model seemd like something beyond imagination to me.

I have both 42042 and 42043 unbuilt yet. I definitly want to build these C models. I want that even more than wanting to build the set itself :classic:

Edited by Samer

13 hours ago, J_C said:

IMO 42042 is the best set in last 5-6 years when it comes to design, functions, MOD-ability, playability, Cmodel-ability, fun, appearance. On top of that it is not so expensive. 

I'd have to agree with you on all fronts.  My young son doesn't  want to build complicated sets and my wife thinks I'm too old for this hobby BUT of all 23 sets I've owned, they both have asked to help build this one because they love it's look and play factors!  The only other contender, in my limited experience is 42039 due to all of the C Models but I like the main model of 42042 a lot better than the main model of 42039.

12 hours ago, Carl86 said:

I got them from PV and shipping was not that bad, and around 10 bucks. ships to everywhere it looks. Also gives them some support to keep on going I guess.

I'm with you. I just made my first purchase decision because I want to build it ASAP.  The website, videos and building instructions are professional enough that I believe the GBC balls he sells will be legit and the specs will be consistent enough to rely on.  I'll say this... I'll be buying ALL the GBC models based on official sets that he makes including the one coming out in a few weeks.  It's a nice way to bide my time while I wait for next years sets because I'm not experienced enough to create my own MOCs yet.

1 hour ago, Samer said:

I have both 42042 and 42043 unbuilt yet. I definitly want to build these C models. I want that even more than wanting to build the set itself :classic:

Completely agree 100%. I have 42043 and 42054 new in the box too and I would definitely build his GBC C Models first if I could! 

Edited by GBTechnic
Poor grammar and spelling ?

Those are wonderful!

I've had in mind for ages to attempt something similar with 42009, but perhaps more like a game (something like Screwball Scramble or the Rock'n'Roll Maze - classic 90s toys), but have never yet found the time.

On 11/8/2016 at 1:50 AM, J_C said:

I wrote it before, I am writing it again. 42042 is the most underrated set ever. IMO 42042 is the best set in last 5-6 years when it comes to design, functions, MOD-ability, playability, Cmodel-ability, fun, appearance. On top of that it is not so expensive. Seems strange that general attitude towards 42042 is like: "yeah, OK" instead of adoration it deserves.

GBC model is really cool! 

Preach it, brother. This is my favorite Technic set out of about the 20 I own. Bang for buck is off the charts.

Three of the 5 C Models (all GBC) by this guy just made it into the C Model Index page.  Hopefully the other two will be added soon...  I'll be building this one this weekend!

Edited by GBTechnic

Today bought 42042. :sweet: Thanks for the notice, GBTechnic.

Edited by ifilin

On 11/11/2016 at 0:55 PM, ifilin said:

Today bought 42042. :sweet: Thanks for the notice, GBTechnic.

You're welcome!  This may not help you in Russia but for anyone who is aware of Etsy.com, I found a few alternatives to buying the expensive ? or ⚽️ from Lego.  You can buy marbles (no hole so better imo) or beads (cheaper) that are 14mm in diameter.  EBay had some options but Etsy had a lot more options.  If you go the bead route, be sure the hole in the bead is as small as possible so that it doesn't affect how it rolls. I bought 50 white& red beads for $7 a few days ago.  It costs 29 Euro (outside of Europe) to ship 15 Euro of the balls from the company who published these C Models, otherwise I would have bought them from him to take out the trial and error of picking the right alternative and making sure the weight of each ball as well as the diameter are close enough to work.

7 hours ago, GBTechnic said:

It costs 29 Euro (outside of Europe) to ship 15 Euro of the balls from the company who published these C Models, otherwise I would have bought them from him to take out the trial and error of picking the right alternative and making sure the weight of each ball as well as the diameter are close enough to work.

Indeed the trial and error is the worst:( But you must select the cheapest shipping option they list! Im also from the USA and for me it was about 9 euro.

On 11/16/2016 at 6:46 AM, Carl86 said:

Indeed the trial and error is the worst:( But you must select the cheapest shipping option they list! Im also from the USA and for me it was about 9 euro.

So you bought the balls from PV productions and shipping was 9 EUR?  I saw that price and assumed it was for continental Europe shipping, not the United States.

On 11/10/2016 at 2:32 AM, eliminator said:

Very clever designs. I'd love to see a BWE C-model GBC!!!

I thought BWE is a GBC itself :laugh:

5 hours ago, Samer said:

I thought BWE is a GBC itself :laugh:

Bucket wheel excavators are natural GBCs.  Pretty easy to use for GBCs, I made one back in April.  I don't think it takes much to turn the official LEGO BWE set into a GBC either.

I'm in the process of modifying mine..

Building an 'open cut' section of landscape, that balls will fall in..

I added some of the rubber track inserts (from Fortrex set), on the 2nd conveyor, which significantly helped move the balls out...

I have relocated the motor in front of the gearbox, since it'll just be stationary, on a GBC layout for 3 days in January.

I am also thinking of doing a (possibly externally powered) sweeping motion to the main arm.. so it sweeps back and forth the open-cut landscape... but undecided if I'll eventually do this (time constraints mostly!!)

22 hours ago, GBTechnic said:

So you bought the balls from PV productions and shipping was 9 EUR?  I saw that price and assumed it was for continental Europe shipping, not the United States.

Yeah indeed. and surprisingly fast. Not sure how they manage to ship all around the world for that price.

On 11/7/2016 at 6:40 PM, GBTechnic said:

He also has pending future GBC models for sales that are all C Models of 42043, 42054 and another that is a 2 set C Model but I cannot recall which... 

Minor correction... he was advertising two upcoming GBC model instructions for sale... NOT a combined 2-set GBC model.  The sets were this one (42042) and 42054 which comes out in a week or so.

AND @Carl86. I just placed my order for 50 orange balls... Thanks for the heads up!  For everyone else, I noticed that the website changed the lower price shipping option to make it obvious it's for worldwide delivery too... maybe he monitors these Forums... if so... live your stuff and please publish the 2018 instructions EARLIER.  42043 might be out of production by then which would seriously hurt your sales opportunities IMHO.

Edited by GBTechnic

14 hours ago, RohanBeckett said:

I'm in the process of modifying mine..

I'd love to see a video or pictures when your done... Are you adding parts or still trying to keep this a C model?