Sign in to follow this  
AmperZand

Minifigure designs that get worse

I'm as susceptible as anyone to "the cult of the new" when it comes to minifigures and bigfigs, prone to oohing and ahhing over LEGO's latest creations. But sometimes I don't get that feeling and find older versions better than newer ones.

Here are some examples:

This is my favourite Joker (though with the big smile on the double printed head, not the smirk pictured), not the forthcoming one.

And here is the Hulk I like most, not this one that came out a year later. 

I like this Spider-Man more than this one despite it being 10 years older.

The ghosts I prefer are this one followed by this one. The more recent CMF one is cool too and I have one in my display collection with a different head, but the ones with the white shrouds are top of my list of phantoms.

I realise that these preferences are entirely subjective and that opinions will vary, but was wondering what older versions or minifigures, bigfigs and moulded creatures other FOLs prefer to newer versions. Are there any that have disappointed you or do you always like the latest ones most?

Edited by AmperZand
Typo

I'll move this thread to General LEGO Discussion, as it is not strictly related to customisation.

I must agree about the new Joker.  I ended up purchasing the Lego Dimensions one with Harley in order to avoid the new "Pennywise Joker", or should we call him "Jokerjaws"?

There has been some criticism to certain SW updates such as the latest Tatooine Luke Skywalker.  The extra detailing makes him look older in a sense.  

Despite these and a few others, I would maintain that most minifigs have come a long way.  

While I think the new figures are generally better, there are some trends I dislike.  Printing a design that begins on the torso, goes across the hip, and then goes onto the legs severely limits the usability of the parts.  If I think a figure's hips and/or legs are the wrong color, I can't swap them out for a different pair I own, because the design is incomplete.  But if I do it anyway, then I'm left with a pair of legs that look weird; if I put them on a new figure, they would introduce a new pattern halfway down. I'd love it if every torso and every legs were designed such that their prints would work on their own, without needing the other.

My preference (across Lego) is that detail be created through interesting combinations of parts, and if that can't be done, then include print on a single piece, then if that can't be done, print across as few parts as possible because of the re-usability problem, and ideally I'd never want stickers (I never apply them at all anyway). 

I think the unprinted dual-molded arms and legs are a step in the right direction, because they can be swapped in and out without ruining a figure's design, though it basically squares the number of arms and legs possible and very few of those possibilities have been released so far.

I think the issue with the new Joker is slightly unfair. It's a stylised design relating entirely to a version of him that fits with the nature of the Lego Batman Movie. It's a little zanier, a little crazier and a lot more child friendly. We've had several Joker designs and I think they all fit with what they were supposed to be.

Same with Hulk. Original release is more classic green while the newer one was specific to the Avenger movies. I can't comment on Spiderman as I'm not sure which movie / comic era either of them was aiming for. You have the newer version of Spiderman now from the Civil War film so that minifig follows that design. It's not that its the same figure updated randomly but a new iteration of that character which has a new figure design to represent that.

The ghosts aren't a million miles away from each other and the new CMF version was more of a ghoul with the grey cape so not entirely a next iteration of that design.

There have been moments where something has been off with an updated figure with as Luke's overly detailed and aged face in the Star Wars Cantina set but that was dropped for his next appearance but I can't think of a figure that's got necessarily worse with a new release. Lego's design ethic changes subtly so a new version will reflect that... normally with more detail currently. Nostalgia plays a part in things too... there are people who prefer the original Boba Fett figure as it's more 'Lego' to them but I don't think the version in the UCS Slave 1 can be topped (unless they make a more detailed backpack).

I don't think they are getting worse.  They have always been evolving and changing which doesn't go well with my preference for 1980s smiley heads on my figs.  Unlike some other toys, with LEGO I can buy a few hundred smile no.1 heads. After many head swaps, my figs are to my personal liking.   :classic:

Boba / Jango Fett of old I have a sweet spot for. in all reality the newer are more "accurate" but the silly playful nature of the single piece helm jetpack was iconic Lego. and as such those are my favorites despite the very clear improvements the new ones have brought.

I think the Tusken Raiders were better with a printed minifighead instead of a moulded new one. They just should have had something like the darth maul horns thingy.

13 hours ago, Actor Builder said:

The life vest pieces definitely took a step backwards, but that's just because someone was being stupid or something.

Oh I have to agree with this. I hate the new life vest. And they keep using it. I just don't get why they don't fix it