Sign in to follow this  
legoman666

Missouri Pacific Union Pacific Heritage EMD SD70ACe in 7 wide

Been working on this for a few weeks now. Main bottleneck is my lack of medium blue brick. Why did I pick this unit? I'm a masochist.

15425375540_3e8100381d_b.jpg

Lego's medium blue and dark blue match perfectly.

30186214263_2144a3843e_b.jpg

54 studs long, 7 studs wide. 0.7 studs/foot. 

30186207563_972f7af811_b.jpg

Will raise the roof 1 plate. Also need more cheese for the nose (obviously).

RGT9ZfSh.jpg

30704157362_6d83d91c9b_b.jpg

Need a handful more pop can lids for the bearings.

lv0tFLnh.jpg

30520237330_484278c89e_b.jpg

Tried to keep this area under 7 studs tall, I failed.

Edited by legoman666

Really nice. Not enough sand-blue yet to make it in sand-blue I guess? Nice project, doesn't matter that it will take some time to get it done, that is part of the fun of course :) 

Perfectly. you have used very sophisticated designs. The nose of the locomotive and the cab - the most difficult things to copy. And you are already recognizable look. Beautiful color. And where are these beautiful real locomotives?

Edited by Nemo57

Love the bottle caps as bearings! Looking forward to seeing this beauty in the next OKILUG display :)

Hey Legoman666 I'm in love with the EMD locomotives and I think that the SD (Special Duty) version is to far away from my skills ...I'm infact working on a GP (General Purpose) but I know that this is a second choice :sadnew:

So you've done a beautiful work here with those three axels bogies and with that beautiful livery! :wub:

Great work ...I hope to see (very) soon your locomotive complete! :thumbup::thumbup:

23 hours ago, JopieK said:

Really nice. Not enough sand-blue yet to make it in sand-blue I guess? Nice project, doesn't matter that it will take some time to get it done, that is part of the fun of course :) 

I think medium blue is closer to the real life color. And besides, I have almost no sand blue :p

22 hours ago, Nemo57 said:

Perfectly. you have used very sophisticated designs. The nose of the locomotive and the cab - the most difficult things to copy. And you are already recognizable look. Beautiful color. And where are these beautiful real locomotives?

It's a real locomotive with a one of a kind paint job. Just Google 'UP 1982', you'll turn up hundreds of results.

46 minutes ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Hey Legoman666 I'm in love with the EMD locomotives and I think that the SD (Special Duty) version is to far away from my skills ...I'm infact working on a GP (General Purpose) but I know that this is a second choice :sadnew:

So you've done a beautiful work here with those three axels bogies and with that beautiful livery! :wub:

Great work ...I hope to see (very) soon your locomotive complete! :thumbup::thumbup:

Glad you like it! Hopefully will be able to finish it up this weekend, a Bricklink parts order just shipped that should provide the parts needed to complete it. Still have to incorporate my super capacitor system too. I have it zipping around the track right now using PF components just haphazardly sitting on top of it. I'm trying a different gearing ratio; still have to see if it'll provide necessary torque.

Edited by legoman666

On 11/6/2016 at 2:22 PM, legoman666 said:

Been working on this for a few weeks now. Main bottleneck is my lack of medium blue brick. Why did I pick this unit? I'm a masochist.

It looks very good in medium and dark blue.  Perhaps you have an unhealthy attraction to the color blue.  :laugh:

It looks really good. I like specially the front windscreen which is narrow like the real one. Cute color combination. The sand blue would fit better IMHO. Great work so far...

Max

Edited by MaxSupercars

The bricklink fairy came today.

30790940552_d9793cfa1e_b.jpg

Railings!

30605974580_df8d8df7b0_b.jpg

A fuel tank!

30605975050_fd8d18c1e5_b.jpg

More railings!

30605975630_03dd9febb0_b.jpg

A nose! The headlights above the windshield will probably be modified. I don't like them.

Very nice build! The color scheme is amazing. I have always wondered why you build base in 7 wide, but your bogie decorations and fuel tank in 8 wide. Any particular reasoning behind this?

15 minutes ago, Beck said:

Very nice build! The color scheme is amazing. I have always wondered why you build base in 7 wide, but your bogie decorations and fuel tank in 8 wide. Any particular reasoning behind this?

4 (gap between wheels) + 2 (1 stud for each wheel) + 2 (trim for each wheel) = 8. I'd love to get it slimmer, but it's impossible building this way. Could maybe get it to 6 studs + 4 plates wide by using plates/tile on their sides. Fuel tank is 8 because irl it looks wide. When I made it 7, it looked too small. Less accurate but more pleasing to the eye.

Thanks!

This should explain it better:

30640723120_fd04372540_b.jpg

Great consist, however, I can't help but notice the RAF roundel on the first gondola. I believe your engine runs on two L motors, right? Is there any gear reduction before the bogie? Are all of your wagons built using ball bearings since, well, there's a lot of them? How much does each gondola car weight, approximately?

4 hours ago, Beck said:

Great consist, however, I can't help but notice the RAF roundel on the first gondola. I believe your engine runs on two L motors, right? Is there any gear reduction before the bogie? Are all of your wagons built using ball bearings since, well, there's a lot of them? How much does each gondola car weight, approximately?

Haha, it's just a sticker i need to take off still. The two L motors are geared up to 5:3 to almost double the speed. I weighed all of the gondolas, the ones like the one with the RAF sticker are 385g each and there are 5, the ones with the door rail ribbing are 470g each and there are 4, the others are 465g and there are 12. The locomotive clocks in at 1203g. So the rolling stock is 9385g, or 20lbs. And yes, everything has bearings except the locomotive.

This locomotive looks great, and that consist is impressive! Those ball bearings make a huge difference. I'm looking forward to seeing long trains like this at shows!