Sign in to follow this  
MassEditor

Never Look Back [Book II, Chapter V: Prelude, Part III]

War is a funny thing. It makes you question just about everything you thought you knew - your purpose, your friends and yourself. The world around you can change in an instant without you ever seeing it coming. 

Old memories were on Anfauglir's mind as he passed Shadowmere's gates. Two years ago, he was in Lagash Ur enjoying the status and benefits of a Covenant lord. As a high officer in the Covenant army he commanded an elite company for the Covenant leader, Lord Senurhem Nogad. 

30735088735_445d99be8d_z.jpg

Anfauglir's position had been an easy one. Senurhem, caught up with his many experiments into the dark arts, paid little attention to much else. Back then, the Covenant had few enemies. Conflict was confined mostly to small border disputes with Shadowmere and other Resistance forces - though Senurhem still remained neutral in the ongoing Civil War. 

Then everything changed. Lured by promises of land and magical artifacts, Senurhem announced his plans to join the Black Spire. He purged anyone who opposed the alliance. Entire companies, thought by Raavage's minions to be unfaithful to the cause, were disbanded or sent to work Raavage's mines. Fearing his men would be next, he defected with as many loyal men as he could. Everything else he left behind. 

30434508980_28a8824a28_z.jpg

Now, his men fight a desperate battle against the army they once fought for, holding out among the peaks of the Rakarths, hungry, cold and constantly hunted by Raavage. Yet they continue to strike back, even liberating several Covenant villages under Black Spire occupation.

Anfauglir's men weighed heavily on his mind as he continued his midnight stroll, which had become a regular occurrence since his arrival in Shadowmere months ago. The thought of his men battling the enemy, hundreds of leagues from Shadowmere and their leader, was agonizing. Anfauglir hoped the Resistance meeting in Shadowmere would be worth his absence. The Resistance needed desparately to form the basis for a renewed and strengthened front against the Black Spire. Otherwise Raavage would crush them, one by one.

The snap of a breaking tree limb woke Anfauglir from his thoughts. He hadn't noticed the fog thickening, or the lack of sounds from the usual night creatures. By the time he saw the huge, writhing shape materialize in front of him, it was too late. 

30053877693_bc1eee223d_z.jpg

A large tentacle struck Anfauglir in the chest, throwing him off his feet and into a tree. The creature approached, eyes glaring ferociously, its dozens of tentacles failing wildly at Anfauglir. He stood up just in time to avoid another swing. Several other tentacles shot out but Anfauglir's sword was quicker. They continued coming but always Anfauglir was faster, until the creature screeched in pain and lurched backwards. Seeing his opportunity, Anfauglir leaped at the wounded beast, and, with several deft swings of his sword, it lay dead upon the ground.

Anfauglir started at the creature, no doubt some foul and horrific servant of Lord Raavage. Anfauglir removed his hood and ran his fingers through his hair. His back was aching badly. Figuring he was too tired to head back to Shadowmere, he set up camp just off the road. 

His stomach growled. Anfauglir looked at the fallen creature and thought of the hunter's creed: you eat what you kill. He quickly got a fire started.

30698167066_c558eca20a_z.jpg

Staring into the fire, Anfauglir thought of the battles ahead. He pondered what other nasty tricks Raavage had hidden away, what he was prepared to do to win his war. 

He grabbed his aching back.

"I'm definitely getting too old for this."

(A bonus, Halloween-themed shot!)

Spoiler

30056018474_822924a7f9_z.jpg

The effects were done with a fog machine and Lifelites. No photoshop here! Hope you're not getting tired of my fog-themed builds, I'm really trying to get my money's worth out of that machine. Good thing is, the neighbors finally stopped calling the fire department when I use it!

Edited by MassEditor

The fog and lighting effects on that are just epic!  Neat idea with the wall of leaves... I kind of think it's maybe a little too dense, but still, you've created a nice ambiance especially with the light of the flames.  Is there a light underneath?
Intriguing story, the aching back is pretty funny too.

Beautiful as usual, ME! I can hardly wait for this prelude to conclude so that we can get to the real action, but at the same time I look forward to seeing more of your excellent work. 

Thanks y'all! Glad you're enjoying the long-awaited chapter! The action will be coming quickly so get ready!

@Kai NRG

I used Lifelites for the lighting. The wires are well hidden (partly behind that wall of leaves) and run into the brown technic pieces. The LEDs fit perfectly inside those. Stuff a flame piece at the end and, voila, fire!

29 minutes ago, MassEditor said:

...I used Lifelites for the lighting. The wires are well hidden (partly behind that wall of leaves) and run into the brown technic pieces. The LEDs fit perfectly inside those. Stuff a flame piece at the end and, voila, fire!

Ah - it worked splendidly!

Man, your foggy images are just gorgeous! Please keep them coming!

Awesome story, I wish Anfauglir a good meal!

I enjoy the foggy builds and the lighting..really sets the atmosphere. It's good to see builds that show a more introverted view of things such as this one.

Fantastic build and story, the smoke really adds the the terrifying beast, not sure I'd like to tuck into one of its tentacles though :look: Looking forward to hopefully participating in the long awaited action :sweet:

Great story and very nice build.  The special fx are nice and the fact that Anfauglir ate his catch was a nice touch.

Great photography and narrative, the creature looked really menacing, and the dark creepy atmosphere is well achieved.
I want to know what this chapter awaits for GoH. :sweet:

Excellent builds and great story! I love the brutal "eat or be eaten" depiction of Nocturnus :classic:

Regarding the fog, what is it running on? I would love to try to experiment with fog effects sometime, but I've heard people complaining that at least oil-based fog machines are leaving a nasty greasy surface on the bricks...

I feel like "more fog" for your MOCs is sort of like "more cowbell".  I got a fever....

Cleaning & sorting this week, cleaning & sorting.  :sweet:

Very epic effects, ME!

The fog and lighting are spectacular!  I am definitely looking forward to more of your special effects in addition to your amazing building skills!

Anfauglir must be a "pretty capable warrior", as SK put it, to be able to defeat such a large monster!

On November 3, 2016 at 3:37 PM, Blufiji said:

On November 7, 2016 at 8:45 PM, mrcp6d said:

I feel like "more fog" for your MOCs is sort of like "more cowbell".  I got a fever....

Cleaning & sorting this week, cleaning & sorting.  :sweet:

Thanks everyone! And wow, is the quote/multiquote function on the new Eurobricks awkwards and frustrating to use!

Good to see you again mrcp6d! I expect your LEGO collection to be sorted and in shipshape for the challenge!:grin:

On November 7, 2016 at 0:00 PM, Gideon said:

Excellent builds and great story! I love the brutal "eat or be eaten" depiction of Nocturnus :classic:

Regarding the fog, what is it running on? I would love to try to experiment with fog effects sometime, but I've heard people complaining that at least oil-based fog machines are leaving a nasty greasy surface on the bricks...

Thanks Gideon! I'm using water in my fog machine, leaves no residue behind. The water vapor isn't quite as dramatic and is tricky to photograph though.

On November 8, 2016 at 8:30 AM, Slegengr said:

Edited by MassEditor