Sign in to follow this  
The Architect

Freebuild: Nocturnus (Black Spire) - Sir Hugh Banks Outpost

Looks good! The towers built into the rocks is a great touch. I really like the sand green/light bley color scheme, though I think the walls could use some more texture. I would avoid relying on mostly bricks to give that texture and use more plates to break up the pattern. You might look too at a few tips for photographing LEGO, especially using a solid background, just to highlight better you work.

Either way, this has a great Nocty feel to it. Hope we see many more Nocturnus MOCs from you!

Thanks MassEditor appreciate it! And my photography err 'skills' do need work I'll admit, but I'll improve. 

I plan on being active next year so many more MOCs you shall see! :pir-devil:

It is good to see some SNOT-work on the roof of the main compound, and I think that you did a good job angling one of the towers to keep it from being all perfectly square. I also quite enjoy the uneven roofs of the towers, where you have not fully pressed down your tiles; it creates the appearance of age and weathering, which is nice. Sand green and light bley look good together. As far as some areas for improvement, I will point out two: first, as ME said, I would avoid using the "brick" texture bricks too much in a wall, as they end up looking awkward, and next to the sand green bricks of the same size they do not quite work; and second, the ground could use some more texturing. This latter area is both difficult and easy to fix, as you basically just have to put down a bunch of plates and bricks in such a way as to imply some terrain, but you must also have enough plates and bricks to do so. The buildings look good, but it would look better as a whole with improved terrain. But welcome back!

Edited by Henjin_Quilones

I really like the towers, the rockwork is great and the fact that they're at an angle to the rest only improve the building!

1 hour ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

It is good to see some SNOT-work on the roof of the main compound, and I think that you did a good job angling one of the towers to keep it from being all perfectly square. I also quite enjoy the uneven roofs of the towers, where you have not fully pressed down your tiles; it creates the appearance of age and weathering, which is nice. Sand green and light bley look good together. As far as some areas for improvement, I will point out two: first, as ME said, I would avoid using the "brick" texture bricks too much in a wall for, as they end up looking awkward, and next to the sand green bricks of the same size they do not quite work; and second, the ground could use some more texturing. This latter area is both difficult and easy to fix, as you basically just have to put down a bunch of plates and bricks in such a way as to imply some terrain, but you must also have enough plates and bricks to do so. The buildings look good, but it would look better as a whole with improved terrain. But welcome back!

Thanks I really appreciate it that, very kind! And your have some good insights I will definitely put them into practice.

5 minutes ago, TitusV said:

I really like the towers, the rockwork is great and the fact that they're at an angle to the rest only improve the building!

Thank you :sweet:

A nice build, the rock work is very well done and the outpost look suitably weathered. I can only repeat what others have said, that the build would really benefit from a better background (something I'm only just mastering myself :grin:) and a bit more layering and variation of colour instead of the plain grey base :classic: something I just noticed, but I love that chain ladder behind one of the towers :wub:

Edited by Legofin2012

4 hours ago, Legofin2012 said:

A nice build, the rock work is very well done and the outpost look suitably weathered. I can only repeat what others have said, that the build would really benefit from a better background (something I'm only just mastering myself :grin:) and a bit more layering and variation of colour instead of the plain grey base :classic: something I just noticed, but I love that chain ladder behind one of the towers :wub:

Thank you :grin:

Neat compound with the square towers and interior building :thumbup: As others have suggested, some smaller parts in your walls to smooth color transitions would improve the texture :classic:

14 minutes ago, soccerkid6 said:

Neat compound with the square towers and interior building :thumbup: As others have suggested, some smaller parts in your walls to smooth color transitions would improve the texture :classic:

Thanks! I remember seeing a MOC or two of yours about a year ago when I was active and I really really liked them! Hope to see more soon :wink: