LegoSjaak

Traintunnel Entrance designs

I've made a traintunnel entrance for a small tunnel that i will place next to my modular building. Any ideas on this design? (It is wide enough, as the train is almost straight entering the tunnel!)

The large arch will be changed by a LBG piece....

30085058813_9f21c85841_c.jpg

Edited by LegoSjaak
Additional information!

16 minutes ago, DK_Titan said:

:thumbup: I like your design. No need for changes.

Haha...never took this reaction in account...haha..thanks!!  We'll that is also possible! Maybe someone else would change something??

Nice job LegoSjaak, although I'm still wondering what you mean bij "LBG-piece" haha ;) I also wouldn't change it.

Based on what I can see in the photo, use two arch pieces to match the thickness of the entrance.

Is the tunnel wide enough for the creator trains?

Edited by gotoAndLego

1 hour ago, JopieK said:

Nice job LegoSjaak, although I'm still wondering what you mean bij "LBG-piece" haha ;) I also wouldn't change it.

Guess LBG relates to "Light Blueish Gray".

@LegoSjaak I guess there is already a place reserved where to put this beauty?

6 minutes ago, Capparezza said:

Yes, correct, that is Light Bluish Grey... the arch gets teh same color as the masonry-bricks. I ordered more than one piece of the arch, so i will place them double at the entrance...I could place the second arch one or two plates lower, so the arch gets a kind of depth in the tunnel...

8 minutes ago, Capparezza said:

The place were it will be put is as seen in this picture: At the right of the most right building, were the track vanishes...

30009022170_5f916c2c2e_c.jpg

Or, to be more precise: here..

30597862031_c9a57622fe.jpg

1 hour ago, gotoAndLego said:

Based on what I can see in the photo, use two arch pieces to match the thickness of the entrance.

Is the tunnel wide enough for the creator trains?

The inner space of the entrance is 10 studs.. inside the tunnel 12. I tested it for a long Horizon Express Creator train, and it was wide enough...

I'd recommend building something up around the tunnel to give it a reason for existence; as in a nice mountain or some urban structures such as a highway overpass. That would help give credence to the model.

18 minutes ago, xboxtravis7992 said:

I'd recommend building something up around the tunnel to give it a reason for existence; as in a nice mountain or some urban structures such as a highway overpass. That would help give credence to the model.

That would be the nex step...to make some kind of rock-like structure, that merges with the real masonry/concrete wall, to the right of the tunnel!!!   I can't make the steps to big, as i have limited budget...!!!

Nice work.  A bunch of them together could make a good viaduct.  Bley might be better a term to use in the train forum for the light blue grey colour.  LBG is too close to LGB.   :wink:

I would go with the viaduct idea as you wouldn't have a mountain right next to the Palace Cinema.  Maybe have a "small" building above it, small being a relative term in this LEGO town :)

Also if you are planning on getting any EN like steam engine stock, the tunnel is too narrow, both the connecting rods and the door handles (on the coaches) will catch.

1 hour ago, pirzyk said:

I would go with the viaduct idea as you wouldn't have a mountain right next to the Palace Cinema.  Maybe have a "small" building above it, small being a relative term in this LEGO town :)

Also if you are planning on getting any EN like steam engine stock, the tunnel is too narrow, both the connecting rods and the door handles (on the coaches) will catch.

That is in fact a pretty good idea... i could make some kind of apartment or so...or a trainmuseum on top of the tunnel....

About the Emerald Night...i owned this train a few years ago, including 5 coaches, but i had no room left for enough track to put all trains on, so i sold a few trains.. Now i have a few trains amongst others horizon express, red passenger, yellow freight, red freigt 3677 and  a green freighttrain... I only have the Horizon Express running around, now and then..so 10 studs wide is enough for me!

1 hour ago, dr_spock said:

Nice work.  A bunch of them together could make a good viaduct.  Bley might be better a term to use in the train forum for the light blue grey colour.  LBG is too close to LGB.   :wink:

Thanks....i'm working a lot in the town forum, and there is LBG more common...haha!!

I like it.  It seems to be a bit close of a fit vertically, maybe add one more brick before the arch?

The tunnel entrance itself looks great - no improvement needed there. 

As others have said though, you need more clearance around it - it just looks odd to have a tunnel entrance right next to your palace cinema

If that isn't an option, another alternative (a lot more work) might be to bring the tunnel entrance forward by a few track lengths, put a few "faux" bricked up railway arches into the wall that creates and and use the square area that results for a trendy market / small open shopping area (google images of "railway arches market" to see what I mean). 

Really nice. A lot of details, but not to much for something in a city area. Maybe you could make it into two small towers on the sides instead of a single large detail in the centre. You can also use it for a kind of a walkway. Another option for would be to make a kind of a gatehouse above it. Oh, now I am geting ideas to make somtehing like this myself.

And I was a bit worried about the tight clearance, but I see you have to compromise with space.

8 hours ago, coaster said:

I like it.  It seems to be a bit close of a fit vertically, maybe add one more brick before the arch?

Yes, i'll raise it one brick...it is really tight, with the pantograph! Maybe i start with a wider footprint for the columns, say 4 wide and 6 deep, instead of 4x4 and have a 45 degree slope there!

6 hours ago, ElectroDiva said:

The tunnel entrance itself looks great - no improvement needed there. 

As others have said though, you need more clearance around it - it just looks odd to have a tunnel entrance right next to your palace cinema

If that isn't an option, another alternative (a lot more work) might be to bring the tunnel entrance forward by a few track lengths, put a few "faux" bricked up railway arches into the wall that creates and and use the square area that results for a trendy market / small open shopping area (google images of "railway arches market" to see what I mean). 

Thanks ElectroDiva, i see your point for having more clearance aroud the tunnel, but at the tunnel was just an idea for closing a gap between the modular buildings and a concrete wall, so i cannot change that. Bringing it forward does also not work, as there is a tight curve in the track, just in front of the tunnel, to have it fit to the trainstation!

I googled the image for a Railway arch market and i like the idea.. there is one thing i could do, and that is replacing the tunnel to the other side of the layout...i have more space there... so i could develop some kind of shopping area around the tunnel entrance there... At least you've given me inspiration, and as i have an easy day at work, i might make some kind of drawing to see what is possible here...(top of picture below) (This is a corner that needs developing anyway...)

30170164352_734aaa64d5_c.jpg

Edited by LegoSjaak

1 hour ago, Man with a hat said:

Really nice. A lot of details, but not to much for something in a city area. Maybe you could make it into two small towers on the sides instead of a single large detail in the centre. You can also use it for a kind of a walkway. Another option for would be to make a kind of a gatehouse above it. Oh, now I am geting ideas to make somtehing like this myself.

And I was a bit worried about the tight clearance, but I see you have to compromise with space.

Okay, HoedMan, i was a bit afraid it was getting too much... i'm thinking about adding some kind of simple lighting above the arched windows though....Two small towers would be better, or i'm also thinking of making some kind of luxurious  appartment or art-gallery or so on top, like you suggested, a gatehouse! Mix of a ultramodern gallery on top of this historic 1900-tunnel would do well!

Tight clearance is fine.  It is like that in real life with old tunnels. Just be sure your dispatcher doesn't send an oversize load through it.  :classic:

23 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

What a gorgeous MOC! :wub:

Very well done LegoSejaak!

Thanks for your kind words. I changed the bottom of the colums a bit and raised them by one brick, to ensure better clearance for the trains with pantographs! I also used the grey goldbars from the brickbank in stead of the 1x2 light bluish grey tiles....

30770796175_9f270e8bb9_b.jpg

That's a very grand entrance. But then, as a train driver myself, I do sometimes wonder at the grand ornate nature of some of the tunnel entrances I drive through, even way out in the middle of nowhere. And no-one else gets to see them except for me and my colleagues. :grin:

I do agree, however, that there needs to be some purpose for a tunnel mouth except for filling a gap between buildings. You won't see a tunnel mouth like that in such a setting. But the decision is ultimately yours.

I just discovered this topic and it's great to see the various "drafts" you have done to get to the final MOC. The first version was pretty good, but, the latest version really is the best one.

You have really done a good job!

Keep up the great work and would love to see other sections of your layout coming together.