kingukulit

The Disney Castle 71040 with LED Lights

Hello everyone! First post here. Just wanted to share this ongoing project of mine. I wanted to add some lights to it! I was inspired by some of the other posts here and from brickstuff.com light setup. This kinda gets technical...I had to learn a lot about LEDs, LED light strips, soldering, wire gauges, etc.... I made a base to hide the wiring and used a shadow box I bought from Michael's craft store and added some alternative (cheaper) lego baseplates that I cut to fit the shadow box. I also added a "lazy susan" so the whole thing could spin and even added something called a SPLIT RING so I could have the lights plugged to an outlet while I rotated the base (i found out its what they use for carrousels and windmills). You could also get LED light strips that are battery operated to avoid the hassle of the lazy-suzan split ring thing...It took many hours/days trying to figure out the placement of the lights and how to run the wires. I had to remove some bricks and added some that had holes in them to run the wires-thank goodness for LEGO store pick a brick.  I know u can also buy them on other websites like brick link. I also added the wall around the castle to hide the LED light strip. The light strip is cool because it changes colors. Here is the almost final project (going to add characters around the castle next). I think it turned out ok!!! Enjoy!

IMG_1207_zpsd0ysdszq.jpg

IMG_1213_zpstj6znnd0.jpg

IMG_1221_zpss42vagof.jpg

IMG_1222_zpssz5imu8z.jpg

IMG_1225_zpsjrczqj2r.jpg

IMG_1227_zpsdoh5g6pd.jpg

IMG_1231_zpskq0y0qwl.jpg

IMG_1236_zps3eixa1jy.jpg

IMG_1238_zpsgevwa7nn.jpg

IMG_1247_zpsyw3bdaai.jpg

Looks really cool!!! I'm not going to show my wife ;) she will be hooked, as I'm typing this she is building her modular bank ;)

Hi kingukulit,

Welcome to EB! great mod-ed castle. Perhaps you can enhance this topic by sharing your development tricks and how-to.

Ah, photobucket strikes again...

For what it's worth, brickstuff do a fantastic looking lighting set. I've been considering buying for a while, but it is quite expensive...

They should offer a smaller kit with just the exterior lights for a more affordable price. As it is, it feels somewhat overdone, and I'd much rather buy a new Modular Building for the money (yes, it's THAT expensive).