Sign in to follow this  
Andy D

PAB Wall or Bricklink

I am looking for opinions for best price.  Should I buy from my local PAB wall or Bricklink.

Here is what I need

400 of any color 2 X 2 bricks

300 of any color 4 X 4 plates.

These parts will be used for under structure, never seen.

On Bricklink I have seen these parts for 9 - 10 cents each, but then there is shipping which can be $15 or more.

PAB cups are $17 each.

Any ideas or opinions appreciated.

Thanks,

AndyD

There seem to be BrickLink stores that could provide what you need more cheaply than PAB cups.

I cannot say for sure how many PAB cups you would need, but I would assume at least 3@$17 for $51.

Ace of Bricks on BrickLink should be able to provide what you need for about $40+shipping (probably less than $10, but not sure for big parts like that).  That is with 400 yellow 2x2 bricks and 300 dark bley 4x4 plates for my estimation from this store.

This is just one store example that I found to allow for all parts in only one order.  I have personally placed multiple orders with Ace of Bricks, and each transaction has gone well with a reasonable shipping charge.

There are probably other stores that could fit what you need as well.

This would justify BrickLink purchase over PAB cups, unless you can combine parts together well enough to fit your order into only 2 PAB cups.  Of course, you might be able to fit other pieces in the PAB cups as well, in addition to your needed pieces, which could make PAB the better option.  I still think this is doubtful that you could get all of your needed pieces into only 3 PAB cups with enough extra room for other parts.

My PAB experience is limited, though, so someone else might be able to shed more light on how well you can combine 2x2 bricks and 4x4 plates in large quantities to get your order down to only 2 PAB cups.

You may want to take a look at this thread:

I've learned a lot about packing PAB cups from that thread.  I'm still a learner, not a master, but I've recently been able to get about 125 4x4 plates into one cup (along with about 400 other pieces).  I'm sure you could easily get 150 4x4 plates in there.  So you'd only need two PABs for that.  The 2x2s should be pretty easy too.  You can either just throw them in there, or spend the time to stack them.

Overall, I think you'd be able to get everything into two cups.

Both San Diego stores have 4x4 and 2x2 plates (since you said you were in SoCal).  The benefit of course is that you won't have to wait for an order to come, or pay for shipping.

4 hours ago, Andy D said:

PAB cups are $17 each.

They are? Does the price of PAB Cups differ by region? How much are the small cups?

(I ask because I've never been to a Lego Store.)

As for 2x2s why not just order from S@H pick a brick as they are $0.10? Or considering x2 VIP points right now they are only $0.09

15.99+ tax at the Mall of America store in MN for large cups. If you have a store near you and you have time to stack, I would go to PAB wall. Should be able to get that in 2, maybe 1 cup if you take your time. :classic:

Thanks for the responses. I took the easy out and ordered on BL. I might hav paid more, but I decided on 400 of each part and the charge (before shipping) is $66. 

Who can stack 400 2 X 2 bricks and 400 4 X 4 plates in 4 large cups or less?

Thanks,

Andy D

On 10/28/2016 at 11:20 PM, Andy D said:

Who can stack 400 2 X 2 bricks and 400 4 X 4 plates in 4 large cups or less?

I would like to know this as well.  Is this really possible?

On 31/10/2016 at 4:59 PM, Slegengr said:

I would like to know this as well.  Is this really possible?

You can get 155 2x4 in a large cup, so a minimum of 310 2x2. One and 1/3 cup and that's your 2x2 sorted. No idea on the 4x4 plates but I'm getting a large cup full of 4x6 white plates on Monday so will have a better idea! Plus you can fill any gaps with small pieces as a bonus.

Edited by NorvernRob

23 hours ago, Benylin said:

you could also use duplo for under structure

Yes, that is good to remember. I do use quite a bit of Duplo for structure, much less expensive for some things. For height, I get four bricks high using two Duplo and they are much cheape than the equivalent volume of regular bricks.

What I am using these 2x2 bricks and 4x4 plates is to make stronger base plates, like the MILs modules (Google LEGO MILs standard). They are expensive to make but strong.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D