Kwatchi

MINI CHALLENGE - Gangs of Charlatan Bay (WINNER ANNOUNCED)

September 15, 616 - Meloche Estate House, Hightown, Charlatan Bay

Sir, we'd like to talk to you about the rising crime in Lowtown if we may.

Say yer piece gentlemen, but be brief. I put to sea with the evening tide.

tPddyqc.jpg

Well your Grace, while we have followed your edict regarding only using our sentries to guard the fleet docks and warehouses, I've become alarmed at the rate that the criminal gangs have flourished.  Lowtown has become a scene of wanton excess and cruelty.  Theft and graft are rampant, and murders are a common occurrence.  And we now have reports of near full on warfare between the various groups vying for control.  It's a scene from hell itself your Grace!

Have the faithful been identified and moved to Hightown as I requested?

Yes Sir!  We have moved them to new accommodations atop the cliffs as you ordered.

Good.

But your Grace, what of the remaining populace?  They struggle to survive and the families are being eroded by the proliferation of drink and opium!

Gentlemen, I have nary an interest in the fate of these non-believers who have come my shores begging fer deliverance.  Hades himself turns his back on them and so shall I. They are animals anyway, so let them lose their souls.  You have my orders.  Yer dismissed.

----------

Mini Challenge: Gangs of Charlatan Bay (Oct 28 - Nov 26)

"Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven."

The dockside district of Charlatan Bay is a lawless warren controlled by the various dockside gangs of thugs and hoodlums.  These are tolerated by the local authorities as long as they stay within Lowtown and their activities don't unduly affect day-to-day operations of refitting and resupplying the pirates, smugglers, and privateers when they put in.   This leaves the human flotsam that lives at the base of the cliffs at the mercy of the criminal element, as each gangs tries to carve out a living by preying on the populace and each other.  Every once in a while, one of these criminal groups will prove to be more conniving and vicious than the rest and they will rise to the pinnacle of the local underworld.  Once upon this lofty perch, they will become known as the Kingpin of Lowtown.

Does you and your henchmen have what it takes to grab that brass ring?

Rules:

This will be a minifg building competition.  Each participant will create a gang which will represent a criminal syndicate operating on the seedier side of Charlatan Bay.

• The gang will be composed of 5 to 10 members, and must include one (1) leader and one (1) lieutenant;
  • The gang may be displayed on a build up to 24 x 24 studs in size, with minimal overlap and no height limitations , though it is not required;
  • Members of any BoBS faction may enter, but all gangs are considered outside the laws of nations so they can have no official connection to any country or trade corporation;
  • Only one entry per player;
  • All entries must posted by midnight EDT on Saturday, November 26;
  • Judging will be done by myself and my brother (i.e. Gulagurag) and will take into account three categories: i. minifig construction; ii. backstory, iii) overall presentation.  In the event of a tie, we'll bring in a third party to break the deadlock (possibly my 10 year old, or my brother-in-law, or I dunno);
  • As for backstory, we're not looking for a novella or anything that takes an hour to read, but please include a short paragraph or two of exposition on your leader and his henchman.  Please try to stay true the established backstory already in place for Lowtown; and,
  • You must provide a link to your entry below.

Prizes:

Prize money will be paid out by Charlatan Bay, or by Kwatchi's bank in the event participation levels are higher than anticipated.

• The winning entry will get a captain's share and receive 40 dbs, as well as the income from one provided small property that is to be licensed in Charlatan Bay in November or December (hopefully).  They will also get added to the official history page of the colony as Kingpin of Lowtown;
  • The runner up entry will receive a first mate's share of 20 dbs;
  • The third place entry will receive a quartermaster's share of 10 dbs; and,
  • All remaining entries will receive 5 dbs and a hearty slap on the back.

Miscellaneous:

A good portion of players who are pressed for free time tend to go into these challenges with an eye on being able to license their builds as something afterwards... myself included.  So while this challenge is not my veiled way to get you to build in my town (well, not completely anyway), I do understand the motivation. As you may have noticed, Charlatan Bay is not overly friendly to Oleon and Eslandola at the moment for RP reasons.  So for the record, let me state now that if anyone wants to license their challenge build for some reason, I will not now or ever repossess it, or any of that funny business, so that your effort is safe and not wasted.

And to answer the follow-up question on why am I doing this?  Simply put, spending the town's bank on troops is pretty boring so I figured this would be a more fun use for it.

Fine Print:

This challenge is open to all willing participants except where prohibited which includes residents of the following: State of West Dakota, Antarctic penguin sanctuaries, Narnia, the noodle shop at Tenth and Lyon, Muppetville, my house, that hair salon that smells of herring (not the one in Cape Town, the other one), Kingdom of Latveria, the Wonka factory, hunting camps within 50 km outside of Rankin Inlet, and the lavatories at Elland Road stadium.  You must be over 5 inches tall to enter.  Many megablocks were harmed during the typing of this message.

Edited by Kwatchi
change 2017 to 2016

1 hour ago, Kwatchi said:

As you may have noticed, Charlatan Bay is not overly friendly to Oleon and Eslandola at the moment for RP reasons.  So for the record, let me state now that if anyone wants to license their challenge build for some reason, I will not now or ever repossess it, or any of that funny business, so that your effort is safe and not wasted.

Sounds good. :thumbup: 

I like the idea of this challenge. :pir-classic: 

Glad to hear it!  It would be a poorer party if no one showed up. :)

And wouldn't you know it, I took that photo this morning while in a rush to get ready for work (it snowed last night unexpectedly so my drive was promising to be long and awful; wasn't that bad in the end) and while posting it up I notice there is a bloody hair in it.  Seems the old adage is true: Haste makes Waste

Sounds interesting, Kwatchi - I will see if I can get an entry in. :)

It is quite a different type of challenge to what we are used to here! ;)

Very nice idea!!! Minifig contest is a must in my books and you have already created a rather interesting background story! Count me in!

22 hours ago, The Architect said:

Nice! Do they need to be human?? Sorry if thats a dumb question.

Non-humans have been frowned upon in the past by the BoBS leadership.  How far are you straying from the species?

My entry is ready. I just have to find the cable for transferring the images, and see if they are alright. I started with the minifigs, and just went with the flow, and without the pressure to perform. I think that's the way I work best. Great challenge.

Edit: It deserves better pictures. Hope the sun shows up one of these days.

Edited by Sir Stig