Littleworlds

[Classic Space/Futuron MOC] Fast Space Cruiser Andromeda

Some of you may remember the Vintage Space Memorial I posted a couple months ago. Well, I finally got to take proper pictures of the ship I mentioned in it: the fast space cruiser Andromeda!

andromeda-in-space.jpg

The ship is loosely based on FX Star Patroller (6931). At least it got a lot of parts from it - and was ironically (and without me even knowing!) build exactly 30 years after the release of the set - quite a happy coincidence.

dsc00632-cropped-and-colour-balanced.jpg

My main goal was building a ship large enough to give it a "proper" space-ship bridge, as you know from TV series like Star Trek. The name of the ship's class is inspired by ther German show Raumpatroullie - Die phantastischen Abenteuer des Raumschiffs Orion (Space Patrol - The fantastic adventures of the space ship Orion), where the designation schneller Raumkreuzer (fast space cruiser), was used.

andromeda-stations1.jpg

dsc00629-cropped-and-colour-balanced.jpg

dsc00631-cropped-and-colour-balanced.jpg

For the future I plan to refit the Andromeda with a small detachable shuttle-craft and improve a few things I am not quite happy with yet. For example I literally ran out of blue bricks! And some more wall-panel computers would be helpful too :wink:

Anyway. I hope you like my little big spaceship! :classic:

Nice spaceship, Littleworlds!

This definitely has a classic space feel to it with many modern updates!  I like the inclusion of so many stations in the interior!

The glass would probably look better and more classic in trans-yellow, but those pieces would be rare or non-existent. 

The landing gear appears functional? :thumbup:

2 hours ago, Slegengr said:

Nice spaceship, Littleworlds!

This definitely has a classic space feel to it with many modern updates!  I like the inclusion of so many stations in the interior!

The glass would probably look better and more classic in trans-yellow, but those pieces would be rare or non-existent. 

The landing gear appears functional? :thumbup:

Thank you very much! I burned quite a lot of printed computers-pars for that ship, but it seems worth it. It even got a tape-player (not on the picture though, I'm afraid^^) :wink: About the glass-parts: I agree. Maybe I'm lucky and find some classic space somewhere. I actually have a 6 studs-wide translucent inverted slope piece in yellow, but I just couldn't integrate it in a way that looked convincing. I would make a nice wide windscreen though.

Yes. The landing gear is functional. Very well spotted! I will take some photos of that in front of a white background for clarity. I wanted the ship to be "functional" and found that if I would simply use a display stand, that would be cheating (I used one for the in-flight picture though). The landing gear is rather robust, to carry the weight of the ship without bending parts, and it folds in on the outside of the ship, just like the one on my X-Wing. I will post new pictures of that one too. I was able to make that one less chunky and more starfighter-sized :wink:

1 hour ago, Boxerlego said:

Wow, Amazing work on the inside details. I like the overall spaceship design. Engines look great. 

Thank you! :classic: The interior took me some time to get it right. First only the captain had a seat. But after receiving protest notes from the crew I changed the layout to the current configuration. Now the only one who doesn't has a seat is the ship's android, but he doesn't needs to sit down, so its ok :wink:

Edited by Littleworlds
There is just one more thing...!

More pictures!

Here admiral Takayama is briefing captain McLane on his new mission and appoints him as Captain of the Andromeda.

dsc00653-cropped-and-colour-balanced.jpg

Later on during the photo-shooting at the ships commissioning day:

dsc00657-cropped-and-colour-balanced.jpg

A look at the main engines and the landing gear. Yes, the ship's pilot is a bit of a showoff :wink:

dsc00665-cropped-and-colour-balanced.jpg

Nice ship, the interior details are great. Have you considered bringing the pilot onto the main bridge? Looks a bit isolated out front :-)

17 hours ago, SteveOC said:

Nice ship, the interior details are great. Have you considered bringing the pilot onto the main bridge? Looks a bit isolated out front :-)

Thanks! That's a very good point I was debating with myself back and forth. Thing is, that the windscreen limits the width of that part of the ship. So I went for starting narrow and making it wider towards the bridge. I will indeed look for a better solution in future. Ideally they would be all in one place, but for now they will have to make to with the intercom :laugh: But yes, there will be refits, there will be new Andromedas over time where issues like this will be addressed :wink: