aspolatt

EV3 SLID3R for focus stacking macro photography

Hi there...

I have been using ev3 for 3 years and i have made several types robot. Recently I needed a macro rail slider for macro photography,  but i had not one.

Thus i decided to make one with my ev3 set. and i did...

below media shown how i did. enjoy :)

DOUBLE LARGE MOTORPROGRAMMINGALL

Edited by aspolatt

Hey, this is really cool! :)

Nice use of the EV3, I hadn't considered that taking creepy photographs could be a valid use! Thanks for sharing.

Excellent application, sure beats spending $600 for a Stackshot rail and controller.  What do you think is the minimum step size?  Getting to less than 1 micron would be awesome, but I doubt that is possible without some gearing and having to deal with significant backlash.  Results look very promising, can you post the final stack image?

By the way, looks like you need a new fly :grin:

40 minutes ago, JGW3000 said:

Getting to less than 1 micron would be awesome, but I doubt that is possible without some gearing and having to deal with significant backlash.

you could use two 60z turntables connected to the wheels, and drive them with a worm gear. That would have not as much backlash, and have a 1/60 reduction, for fine adjustments.

Thank You @jgv3000,

I did not measured exactly but i guess approximately reach 0.5mm and maybe little bit less...

You completely right, because there are so many obstacle; 

-first of all the lego set made of plastic, and plastic is flexible. therefore absorb some energy and movement.

-gears in original set are not suitable for this purpose. If use a specific gears then would be more sensitive.

-also large motors are not sensitive enough.

even so there is a way to overcome to all difficulties, you can change the speed and angle when you arrived end of the object, and start again to backward. thus, you can get a solution for huge interval distance problem. of course you must sort your files before stacking process

By the way, looks like you need a new fly :grin:

I am still searching around here  :)

Thank You @tommy Styrvoky,

That's one of the solutions like you said. The SLID3R sould improve with new solutions and parts

The Eyes

Nice idea!  I wonder if you could solve the backlash issue by making the motors run against a (gentle) force pushing the other way, so that the teeth in the gear train are always pressed in one direction.  Perhaps by hanging a weight on a string (maybe with a pulley) over the edge of the table, or with a lever mechanism incorporated into the carriage involving a shock absorber or elastic band?

18 hours ago, Josephiah said:

Nice idea!  I wonder if you could solve the backlash issue by making the motors run against a (gentle) force pushing the other way, so that the teeth in the gear train are always pressed in one direction.  Perhaps by hanging a weight on a string (maybe with a pulley) over the edge of the table, or with a lever mechanism incorporated into the carriage involving a shock absorber or elastic band?

Dear @Josephiah;

thank you for make me inspired, i will try what you said and develop the slid3r