Rick

10255 Assembly Square

One thing that strikes me as odd is the arrangement of the baseplates.  It is 32x32 and 16x32.  At first glance, it would appear that the building on the left should be separable from the other two buildings, but the way they have it, there is no potential to rearrange anything.  That building is part of the 32x32 plate.  I wonder if you switched baseplates, it would be possible to give the left building more ways to maneuver it.  I would like to consider rotating it 90 degrees to display the longer side on the front.  That way, the ugly side on the far left is now the back and the longer side faces front.  I sense a lot of people are going to try to mod this one to make it more separable.  

The most important thing: they made the Cafe Corner again!!!  Well... sort of... :wink:

Thank you very much for the press release, Rick! :classic:

Like all the previous ones this one - and esp. this one - looks brilliant! :wub::wub::wub:

It's only really a pity that the backwalls are closed since this means for me no compatibiltiy with regular City sets and consequently no buy of this set! :cry_sad:

Klaus-Dieter

Nice to see the interior pics. I'm especially interested by some of the new elements. That door frame and those curved tiles will be very useful to me. I would have really liked to have seen a new colour but guess can't have it all. Still feels a little cramped to me but upon seeing more close-ups i appreciate how much they have put into this. 

So basically everything we discuss here for whole year, is in IT! Dentist, Bakery, Florist, Music shop, AND it is INVERTED CORNER BUILDING on 1 and half baseplate :D

LOVE IT!

Is no one going to comment on the brilliant price for us Britons?? And seeing as the pound is now worth almost as much as the dollar, we are paying far less (about $207)

Just now, LegoShroom said:

Is no one going to comment on the brilliant price for us Britons?? And seeing as the pound is now worth almost as much as the dollar, we are paying far less (about $207)

That's the first thing I noticed. With the current state of our currency I was dreading the exchange rates we were going to get on Lego. This is a little bit more than the price of TH for waaaaaaaaaaaaay more pieces and a much better looking build

What an amazing looking set. My wife will not be happy as it will mean another shelf to be put up in the hall. I love that it is three separate buildings with three retail outlets, but most impressive of all is the Lego fan's apartment. There are so many details and sets including the Eiffel Tower set.

I thought this year was expensive, but 2017 is starting badly and I'm sure it won't get any better.

Well, good that the waiting is over!

Personally, the set does not give me the WOW factor as others have.. I think the best looking is the left building, the flower shop and bakery look kind of "friendish" "disneyish" to me..

I expected something else, something more unexpected.. I like the references to previous modulars, I will buy it, but am not that impressed by the set.. I will wait until LegoSjaak will make a grand version, or see other peoples' MOCs to see the true potential of it..

I thought this would be the centerpiece of my layout, something that would connect all modulars or something very impressive, to me it looks like we get a bit more of usual modular style buildings for a bit more money, but nothing more astonishing  than buying 2 regular modulars at once, nothing "ultimate"..

42 minutes ago, gylman said:

Jaime Berard is by far, in my opinion, the best LEGO designer.  Everything he touches looks great (COUGH Emerald Night COUGH). 

Of course I will buy it, in duplicate at least. 

That said, I think this building doesn't really add  much to the overall theme.  I think they are running out of ideas (though I've seen pretty original ideas from AFOLs).   This might be the swansong of the Cafe Corner series.   It would not surprise me if they announce the end of the series after this set. 

I would think that if the series ever ends, it'll be because Jaime has moved on from doing it. Or maybe Jaime can take a break and Lego can hire that guy doing the Lego Idea Old Fishing Store and create a whole series of fishing village buildings.

Just now, badbob001 said:

I would think that if the series ever ends, it'll be because Jaime has moved on from doing it. Or maybe Jaime can take a break and Lego can hire that guy doing the Lego Idea Old Fishing Store and create a whole series of fishing village buildings.

Well, he didn't do them all.  But the ones he didn't do.... well.... let's just say they are not the best in the series, both in terms of overall look, and in terms of cleverness of building techniques. 

I don't want the series to end.  I've seen amazing Cafe Corner style modulars done by AFOLs that would stand proudly next to Jaime's work.  Here's hoping they keep it going, and here's hoping that Jamie continues to design big LEGO sets. 

tooth.png

I love the colors, the building techniques, the new parts especially.  The size... well I got used to them being slightly smaller.  You can buy two if you wish.   I don't know who works on the design team, but the last couple of buildings all had certain styles which couldn't have been done by someone who hasn't studied a bit od Art Deco, Noveau and is good with classic movies and has traveled a bit.    Great work Berard and team! 

The most impressive beautiful modular combination ever. Fitting for the tenth anniversary modular celebration. 

1 hour ago, redtrooper27 said:

It truly is!! :)

now we all wait to see your photoshopped and real life XL versions!!! ;)

Lots of potential for MOD-ding...stand alone on a 32x32 baseplate..

30390611975_36dc1b4a86_b.jpg

Or some sort of castle-like building...

30304506561_1d91cd17fe.jpg

Edited by LegoSjaak
adding extra picture

First impression going by looks was that it is a Creator 3-in-1 set on steriods. Not what I envisaged going by the title "Assembly Square". But looking through the photo's and watching the video, there are a lot of great builds throughout and it pays homage to previous modulars. Jamie seems to think there are a lot of "nice" things included :tongue:

A plus point for us in the UK is the price which is a lot cheaper than expected. :thumbup: 

1 minute ago, just2good said:

What piece is this?

4ArHLie.png

Its from Nexo knights - they use it for spears in black colot...look at the Jestro Volcano Lair set :)

Edited by Blazej_Holen

Just now, Blazej_Holen said:

Its from Nexo knights - they use it for spears in black colot...look at the Jestro Volcano Lair set :)

Ah, okay, thanks! :classic:

Phew.
When I first saw the pictures, I have to be honest, I was a bit underwhelmed. Seemed way too colorful and garish to me. But after seeing the video, I have to say that the pics are propably just oversaturated.

Anyway, the set itself...
Pros:
- sand green. And sand blue. And loads of dark orange tiles?
- nice references to past buildings throughout
- really nice interiors, as is the rule for the last few buildings (except for the mostly empty music store, but that may just be a reference to the Empty Emporium ;))
- Size! Yay for three full floors again - well, almost, but the rooftop patio is close enough.
- Price is very reasonable aswell.

Cons:
- Why make it three buildings? Granted, it looks kinda nice, but spacing out 3 buildings and a small alley over 48 studs leaves the average width even below 16 studs. I refer to my post from the other day in that I would have preferred a single, truly magnificient building (32 wide)..or maybe two bigger ones on the size they went for would've worked better, too.
- even taking into account that the pictures seem a bit oversaturated, it still feels a bit too colorful, which gives it a slightly cluttered atmosphere...though that may just take some getting used to.
- While each building works well on its own, I don't really like the way they look together. Something just clashes there for me architecturally. Thinking about it, it's propbaly the 'PR'-style center building inbetween the other two that look American (left) and Dutch to me.

Still, nice addition to the line!

I adore it. It isn't exactly what I was imagining, but that is in no way bad. The buildings are great, but I also love the square aspect. And I think this is the perfect answer to both camps of modular fans- for the ones who want detailed interiors, the entire set is detail, and for those who want impressive façades it stacks up against the older modulars in height. Insta-buy for me!