Borex

Compatible Minifigures Discussion.

I need those Spidermen.

So for me I use the bootleg figures for parts and for rank filling.  Wolverine and Cyclops on their own, unless you can afford the rediculouse price of an SDCC Phoenix was a bit of a farce.  I understand the Fox licenseing debacle, but you know what?  I want X-Men!  So I get them to fill the chasm left by Fox.

I also love Spiderman, and we have, about 7 varients of this, so with my purist customising and purchasing the blegs I have some great Clones and multiverse splits!

Has this curved my monitary expense on official LEGO sets?  No, I have almost every DC and Marvel set released to Date.  And if there are sets that I could get, like the Battank, because I refuse to pay over £60 for it, I picked up a filler from SY for £12.  It looks great with all the other official sets.  I know that people buy stuff just to hold on to until they are no longer produced, but seriously when someone charges 600 for a £60 set, they can keep waiting.

I am glad that these guys have stepped in with some of it, however, using the same box art is a bit piss taky...  I don't agree with that.  But producing a cost effective route to obtaining the set is nice.  And I am aware that I could sit there and bricklink the lot, but that is too much effort.  Yeah, I said it.  I will happily pay less and do less work, who wouldn't?

But also, I like the customisation options that these give us.  More parts in the unofficial sets are printed than the official ones which use a lot of stickers.  So thats a bonus, it wlso means that if I want to do physical modifications, dremel, sculpting, or or disfiguration, I am not doing it to a figure that someone else really wants in their collection! 

Just to retouch on the printed parts there, this means that I will not pick up a 2nd hand set that has badly applied wonky crooked or missing ripped or partially removed stickers on it.  We all know what a ball ache that is.

Finally, the KOs are about the right price that you can throw them to your kids, or other people's kids when they come to visit and not damage your actual sets and figs!  I mean that has to be the bigest winning factor for me.

Noisy Krikkit!

Edited by Krikkit
Typo master!

Yeah, I tend to be of the philosophy that if Lego had intended proper availability, they wouldn't create the shortages we have. Consider - if I wanted to buy an official Deadpool figure, I'd need to get it off a collector or reseller for a ridiculously high price, and none of the money I pay would go back to TLG, so I don't really see how buying figures they aren't selling themselves is of too much harm to them.

Either way, as I've said before in this thread and people ought to be getting sick of me saying, I'm really no fan of needing to tiptoe around restrictions on what I can say, whether they were put there with the best intentions or not. I'll stay where the conversation is, but if that moves elsewhere I'd happily go with it.

Edited by mooproxy

I'm on mobile otherwise i would have posted the pic of x0128 with some censoring in it. Because i do not know if i can show some of them.

Anyways interesting figs are: - new comic dr strange, - Clea, - new comic Beast.

Rehashes of mr. Fantastic and black bolt. And bootlegs of the dr strange figs

DHL-X0128-60Sets-DR-Doctor-Strange-Minif

DHL-X0128-60Sets-DR-Doctor-Strange-Minif

Edited by Borex
Added pics

From what I can se eon those the Clea is the only figure of real interest. It's a clone of Muddy River's figure. the MRM version was really nicely done and had a double sided head so let's see if this has similar.

There are a couple of terrible figures in this wave also.

7 minutes ago, Robianco said:

From what I can se eon those the Clea is the only figure of real interest. It's a clone of Muddy River's figure. the MRM version was really nicely done and had a double sided head so let's see if this has similar.

There are a couple of terrible figures in this wave also.

Clea doesn't look like a Muddy River clone - the design is different to this and TLG versions.

13 minutes ago, Mattyj82 said:

Our friends at kf just put some christmasie star warts things we must not mention

I've just spotted these and added them to my spreadsheet. Make for some nice cheap tree decorations, along with all the chrome Iron Man figures. I'd love to know who's making all these exclusive KF figures.

Edited by wickedlemon

Actually, yeah... It is slightly different isn't it. At least it gives a Clea figure to people who wanted her. If they get it right it should be good. I'd still take the SY version of the Dr Strange game design over a Xinh one though.

17 hours ago, Krikkit said:

I need those Spidermen.

So for me I use the bootleg figures for parts and for rank filling.  Wolverine and Cyclops on their own, unless you can afford the rediculouse price of an SDCC Phoenix was a bit of a farce.  I understand the Fox licenseing debacle, but you know what?  I want X-Men!  So I get them to fill the chasm left by Fox.

[...]

Has this curved my monitary expense on official LEGO sets?  No, I have almost every DC and Marvel set released to Date.  And if there are sets that I could get, like the Battank, because I refuse to pay over £60 for it, I picked up a filler from SY for £12.  It looks great with all the other official sets.  I know that people buy stuff just to hold on to until they are no longer produced, but seriously when someone charges 600 for a £60 set, they can keep waiting. [...]

SDCC Phoenix is the only "item" I bought other than regular sets, it was a real crush at the time, and I had no knowledge of bootlegers.

Now I probably won't do it again (but that money for promotional items does not go to TLG at all).

That knowledge had also no impact on my Lego purchases yet, I still buy what I like, probably because of the strong band image.

But about the second hand market and old official sets ... I am still considering it : half the price of the original that I couldn't buy at the time vs 4 times on BL now (like pirates ships) ... tempting.
And if you kill the second hand market, you'll kill slowly the current sales, let's face it lots of people are just investing in Legos, if no one is buying second hand, then no one will buy in order to sell later.

My Darth Vader / Threepio "Blockheadz" figures have arrived - and they are pretty cool - however the Loz bricks are approx 2 Thirds the size of normal!

1 hour ago, palandir said:

And if you kill the second hand market, you'll kill slowly the current sales, let's face it lots of people are just investing in Legos, if no one is buying second hand, then no one will buy in order to sell later.

I've heard people mention this before but I don't think it would have too much of an effect on sales. I've heard of people going into a store in Australia and a scalper has come along and bought the entire trolley before it's gone on the shelf. All to sell afterwards. If the scalper didn't buy to invest the sales would still go to normal people who buy to build rather than speculate. I'm not sure just how much people buy to speculate but I imagine a lot of the sales slack would be taken up by normal buyers if their purchases dropped off.

1 minute ago, wasswass said:

Real picture of PG086 Wolverine, it looks really bad:

That seems like a very dirty example and I'm not sure they'll all look like that. They've actually gone for chrome claws as well which is a nice surprise and even if the rest of the figure was bad it's probably worth the 80p just for those.

Alternatively buy the original Chrome Claws figure from KO Customs.

29 minutes ago, DTBlocks said:

It's not as bad as the one in that picture. http://downtheblocks.blogspot.com/2016/10/pogo-classic-wolverine-minifig.html check the link for a review. Also, let's give credit to KO Custom Minifigures for the design, you'll find him at the link too! 

I love this line from the review:

Unlike bootleggers, these 3rd party custom minifig makers respect the rights and all that legal stuff Lego has and the companies involved, hence the name Chrome Claws. 

Do people really thing that changing the name makes things legal? There are several customizers guilty of this nonsense.

1 hour ago, Robianco said:

Alternatively buy the original Chrome Claws figure from KO Customs.

I think Chrome Claws has sold out. I asked Kyle directly if he still had any and he said they were gone :(

14 minutes ago, Captain Britain said:

I think Chrome Claws has sold out. I asked Kyle directly if he still had any and he said they were gone :(

That's a shame. It's a really nice figure (if you like Marvel)... Unfortunately then maybe picking up this version and adding genuine head and helmet will bring you a pretty good version of it. As long as it's not been kicked around the streets of Guangdong like the one above has.

17 minutes ago, Robianco said:

That's a shame. It's a really nice figure (if you like Marvel)... Unfortunately then maybe picking up this version and adding genuine head and helmet will bring you a pretty good version of it. As long as it's not been kicked around the streets of Guangdong like the one above has.

:laugh:. Good idea with the head/helmet from the official. I think they released that on a magnet too didn't they?

49 minutes ago, Captain Britain said:

:laugh:. Good idea with the head/helmet from the official. I think they released that on a magnet too didn't they?

Very possibly, mate. Would be a good way of picking that up.

Hey I don't think the official wolverine helm will work as it's an orange yellow, whilst that is just plain yellow lego on the new figure.

4 hours ago, wickedlemon said:

JLB are still with us...

Hahaha good old JLB, I wonder what their board room meetings are like.

Are we sure they're not both bright light orange? I can't imagine KO Customs has a new one moulded or painted up I would just imagine they matched the colours but with it being printed with blue instead of brown it looks lighter.

34 minutes ago, MNW said:

Hahaha good old JLB, I wonder what their board room meetings are like.

Maybe their board metting are "come with your child at work", they seem to simply think as a Toy manufacturer and not as a Commercial : their products are fun, not pretty (even uggly when comparing to other brands) and clearly children oriented.

Most of us posting here are implying the interesting elements are those we'd like to display, JLB seems to focus on what to play with.

There is no fun in another IronMan Mk<not released previously>, or a Chrome element, there is fun with smurfs or minions.

It is just not what we are used to with bricks discussions : noone talks here about compatible fire trucks or police cars but plenty of the missalignment or the exact color of what the belt should have been ...

It's controversial : I don't buy JLB but I'm happy they exists.

1 hour ago, Robianco said:

Are we sure they're not both bright light orange? I can't imagine KO Customs has a new one moulded or painted up I would just imagine they matched the colours but with it being printed with blue instead of brown it looks lighter.

I'd say there is a high chance it is regular Yellow on the bootleg, as the image below is more that yellow than the Jim Lee 90s brown costume variant. Although you might be right. But to save money I'd hold off until it can be confirmed (just a warning to save money). 

a518c828b0618efde8af02d1bf4300c3.jpg

And if the Pogo picture was just an example of one that had been kicked around Guangdong lol, it might be salvagable anyway with a bit of black paint added to certain edges.

1 hour ago, palandir said:

Maybe their board metting are "come with your child at work", they seem to simply think as a Toy manufacturer and not as a Commercial : their products are fun, not pretty (even uggly when comparing to other brands) and clearly children oriented.

Most of us posting here are implying the interesting elements are those we'd like to display, JLB seems to focus on what to play with.

There is no fun in another IronMan Mk<not released previously>, or a Chrome element, there is fun with smurfs or minions.

It is just not what we are used to with bricks discussions : noone talks here about compatible fire trucks or police cars but plenty of the missalignment or the exact color of what the belt should have been ...

It's controversial : I don't buy JLB but I'm happy they exists.

Yeh, it's not so much the theme I was relating to for JLB, it's that their products not only mental but are rubbish most of the time :P  There was a brilliant Minion set that came out a while ago, Winner just brought out some really cool wierd Monkey king playsets. There are all kinds of wierd nicely made things. But every JLB product I have bought so far has been mostly garbage, with only the odd piece usable that I got them for customising.

Edited by MNW
spelling error