Sign in to follow this  
hachiroku

About that certain asian company stealing mocs...

Don't make instructions or LDD files available would be the easiest way.  Not having too many detailed pictures online would also make it harder to reverse engineer a complex MOC. 

I agree with that, especially if you aren't sharing any instructions. What if you do? And making a bit of investment return by selling some of them?

3 hours ago, zux said:

I agree with that, especially if you aren't sharing any instructions. What if you do? And making a bit of investment return by selling some of them?

Unfortunately there's very little you can do if you're intent on making instructions available in that way. Companies like Lepin are fairly good at evading legal action even from large corporations from Lego, so there's little that an individual MOCist could do to fight them in court. And even charging money for those instructions is no guarantee that they won't be purchased by a bootlegger aiming to make and sell the model themselves (if anything, it might just make them more confident that the model is worth the investment of cloning).

I worry that this sort of thing will have a "chilling effect" on MOCists sharing instructions for their creations with the community, but honestly there's no easy solution other than not providing instructions in the first place.

4 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Don't make instructions or LDD files available would be the easiest way.  Not having too many detailed pictures online would also make it harder to reverse engineer a complex MOC. 

I think my case is a lttle special. I do instructions, but in youtube and recording myself building the MOCs.

I don't know until what point this is stealable.

I've initially read about this at Brickset. The comment section is somewhat depressing. There is high number of people (that's within LEGO community!) who appreciated Lepin releasing MOC based sets. I understand why there is demand for old modular knock-offs. But people's MOCs... that's something I couldn't think of.

This will definitely have a chill effect on instruction creation. Not that I produce world class MOCs, but I like doing instructions for them. I'll consider this situation with Lepin in the future. You may never know if any other company pickup the new trend with other sorts of MOCs.

There is probably a market for MOC kits. It's more convenient than buying instructions and then trying to find and buy all the pieces on Blicklink or other sources and deal with multiple orders and shipping charges.

3 hours ago, hachiroku said:

I think my case is a lttle special. I do instructions, but in youtube and recording myself building the MOCs.

I don't know until what point this is stealable.

Maybe if somebody took the time to follow along and made an LDD file.  It may not be worth a company's time to pay someone to do that. But if a fan of your work did and posted it online, then it could be grabbed.

Wait Lepin is stealing MOCs now too? Can anyone post a link to one?

19 minutes ago, Mesabi said:

Wait Lepin is stealing MOCs now too? Can anyone post a link to one?

It was discussed over in the Lepin topic over in the Community Forum -> http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/140382-lepin-brings-out-monster-fighters-haunted-house-16007/&do=findComment&comment=2671812

No need to duplicate it here.

Why is Lepin being discussed here and not in the community forum? Moderators can we have a consensus of where Lepin can be discussed? 

7 hours ago, Adamskii said:

Why is Lepin being discussed here and not in the community forum? Moderators can we have a consensus of where Lepin can be discussed? 

Well, this topic seems to be specifically about "how can I keep MOCs I publish from being stolen and monetized by others?" I think that's an issue that sort of transcends the topic of clone brands, since even a person selling genuine LEGO parts could hypothetically try and take credit for your MOCs the same way these clone brands do. But perhaps even that would be a better fit for the Community forum? In any case you're right that it's ultimately up to the mods.

11 hours ago, Adamskii said:

3 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Well, this topic seems to be specifically about "how can I keep MOCs I publish from being stolen and monetized by others?" I think that's an issue that sort of transcends the topic of clone brands, since even a person selling genuine LEGO parts could hypothetically try and take credit for your MOCs the same way these clone brands do. But perhaps even that would be a better fit for the Community forum? In any case you're right that it's ultimately up to the mods.

I opened here because i didn't see the thread in the Community forum. i f you want to mve it or merge it, go ahead.

21 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Maybe if somebody took the time to follow along and made an LDD file.  It may not be worth a company's time to pay someone to do that. But if a fan of your work did and posted it online, then it could be grabbed.

Then I have a problem. I saw a lot of LDDs of my MOCs.

I won't stop the people doing them, but I should keep an eye on what Lupin III is doing.

Edited by hachiroku