42 posts in this topic

The Harrower-class Dreadnought is for me one of the most appealing Star Wars ships. This Star Destroyer type is the capital ship of the Imperial Navy in the game "Star Wars The Old Republic". The LEGO version is based on the cinematic model rather than the in-game version. You can see the ship in the "Return" cinematic trailer ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm4JEZudf0c ) or in this picture ( http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/0/05/HarrowerClassDreadnaught-EGW.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120425024504 )

Final shots

Bigger pictures can be found on my Flickr

Specifications:

• Length: 75cm
  • Width: 41cm
  • Scale: 1 : 1067
  • Weight: 4.3kg
  • Parts used: about 5700

29686713014_66278bb993_z.jpg30020259500_18df457bdc_z.jpg

29686710394_ce418d7ef5_z.jpg29686709464_2519c4873e_z.jpg

30282177176_5b7c424bf8_z.jpg30282175306_22227de146_z.jpg

30282173916_5ddf476830_z.jpg30282172266_83b3112917_z.jpg

WIP shots

After a couple of months designing it’s time to build the ship completely. Normally I would just post final pictures of a MOC, but since Star Destroyer ships are pretty popular I thought I would show WIP shots of how I constructed the Harrower.

WIP 1

29873648820_2168d9f809_z.jpg

The first WIP shot shows the main frame of the ship. It was important to make the main frame very strong since the ship is going to be heavy and stands on just 2 feet. Therefore there are horizontally 3 rows of technic bricks which are all connected both horizontally and vertically resulting in a very strong frame. The sections that stick out all have a rotation joint at the end making an angle of 15 degrees which happens to be exactly the angle I needed for the Harrower. Later on I will connect frames for the wings to these joints. These wing frames will also be supported by the technic bricks that stick out below the rotation joints.  

WIP 2

30156433006_93b65dc363_z.jpg

The second WIP shot shows one of the wing frames (the other one is mirrored). Each wing frame is connected to the rotation joints of the main frame via the joint socket liftarm parts (the white parts). The top left corner picture is a close-up of the frame. The triangular frame has an angle of about 10 degrees which I needed for the Harrower and incidentally match with the angle of the 12 x 3 wedge plate. This is ideal to build the back (the engine section) later on without too much gapping. Another advantage of the triangular frame is that it’s very strong.

WIP 3

30092635472_6baca9fb05_z.jpg

In the third WIP shot the two wing frames are attached to the main frame. I added a layer of plates to the wing frames to make them sturdier horizontally and to make them a bit thicker. Note that the build is already flipped upside down to proceed to the next stage which is building the bottom and attaching the display feet.

WIP 4

30149803471_bb59b64e26_z.jpg

With the frame done it becomes a bit more exciting because now I can start building stuff you can actually see when the ship is finished. WIP shot 4 shows the bottom wings of the Harrower which are constructed SNOT. The good thing with the frame is that you could also choose to build a hull in the more traditional way with plates and wedge plates, because the angle of the wing frames match with the angle of the 4 x 2 wedge plate. I chose to build it SNOT, because I like a smooth effect for this scale. As you can see I also used the old light gray parts (also yellowed ones) to give the ship a bit more worn look.

WIP 5

30256907155_67946c7909_z.jpg

The fifth WIP shot shows the bottom with hangar bay which is constructed as one piece. It is attached to clips near the green parts that can be seen in WIP shot 4. The bottom is also held in place by the 2 x 4 tiles all around. It took a lot of time to figure out how to make this section work, because it is here where the two angular wings meet.

WIP 6

29646118794_fce4d1266c_z.jpg

As you can see in WIP shot 6 the feet are attached and the ship is turned upside up again. Before building the upper wings and the bridge section I added the engines and a couple of side sections. I had to improvise the engine section a little bit since there are no good reference pictures of the back of the cinematic model. All I could see in the trailer of Star Wars The Old Republic were 2 big engines with each 2 smaller ones beside them. The rest of the engine section is inspired on pictures of Star Destroyers. Note that the in-game version of the Harrower has quite different engines: 2 big triangular engines.

WIP 7

29668590234_95417a11a4_z.jpg

The seventh and last WIP shot shows the addition of the upper wings and sides at the front. This was relatively easy because technically the upper wings are a copy of the bottom wings. Only the bridge section (which is similar in technique to the bottom) remains to be added before the Harrower is finished.

Edited by Swan Dutchman

1 hour ago, Swan Dutchman said:

https://c5.staticflickr.com/8/7482/29873648820_2168d9f809_z.jpg

(Somehow I can't insert the image in the post. Any help to fix this would be most appreciated!)

You can use the "insert media from URL" on the post, or you can just paste the URL into the post and the board will render the image for you, or you can use traditional BBCode:

[img=link of the image]

Edited by KamalMYafi

Looking forward to it, this is a magnificent ship, glad you show us the steps of the building!

Hello everyone,

I just updated the first post with a second WIP shot. I will continu editing the first post of this topic until the final shots are posted.

Hey everyone,

I just edited the first post with WIP shot 3. After this I promise it becomes a bit more fun, because than it's time to build the hull. :wink:

Looks like this will turn out like a great and sturdy build, however, How will the ship be plated? As I see you exposing the bottoms of plates, which seems inconvenient to adding the hull. Or are you not doing the traditional studs-up design but a SNOTted build?

19 minutes ago, TWP said:

Looks like this will turn out like a great and sturdy build, however, How will the ship be plated? As I see you exposing the bottoms of plates, which seems inconvenient to adding the hull. Or are you not doing the traditional studs-up design but a SNOTted build?

Well spotted! The hull will indeed be SNOTted with bricks, plates and panels. It's still possible to use the frame also for the traditional plating method... all that needs to be done is to turn those 1 x 4 technic bricks in WIP shot 2 around. I will try to post a WIP picture of the hull tomorrow.

51 minutes ago, Hold0511 said:

I love seeing WIP's of large builds, always impressed by people's ingenuity and clever building tricks.

Thank you!

Just updated my first post with WIP shot 4.

That looks great with the plating on top! I think this will turn out to be an awesome display piece! :sweet:

Btw, random question, will you by any chance be exhibiting at Lego World in the Netherlands?

Hey everyone,

I just updated the first post with WIP shot 5.

15 hours ago, TWP said:

That looks great with the plating on top! I think this will turn out to be an awesome display piece! :sweet:

Btw, random question, will you by any chance be exhibiting at Lego World in the Netherlands?

Thank you!

No, I am not exhibiting at LEGO World this year. However, if you are a member of Dutch LUG 'Lowlug' you can probably see the ship in the next LUG meeting (probably in Spring next year).

8 hours ago, Schneeds said:

That's a clever technique on the frame.  Looks great so far. 

Thank you!

Just updated the first post with WIP shot 6.

Interesting look at that inner frame, I'm looking forward to see how this turns out! The mix of the old and new grey bricks actually adds to the drabby aesthetic of ISDs, good call on that.

This is absolutely stunning so far, I really like the way the ship looks way more menacing than an ISD, I can't wait to see it completed. Will you make an LDD when you finish this?

Edited by MaxTube55

Hello everyone,

I just updated my first post with WIP shot 7... the last one :classic:

Thanks Aethersprite and MaxTube55.

22 hours ago, MaxTube55 said:

This is absolutely stunning so far, I really like the way the ship looks way more menacing than an ISD, I can't wait to see it completed. Will you make an LDD when you finish this?

The design is saved in several LDD files. However, I don't think I will make them public because I wouldn't like it if somebody makes building instructions from the LDD files for selling purposes.

I'm always amazed at how people manage to solve all of these angles. This is looking very great and clean so far, I love it! It's too bad that you don't want to share LDD files because showcasing one of these would be marvelous. I can definitely see why you don't want to and it's a very valid reason. This looks like it'll turn out great either way, keep doing what you're doing!! :sweet:

Thanks Surox and Frike!

The ship is now finished! I just edited the first post with the final pictures.

Brilliant! Was looking forward to the end result and I have to say I'm well impressed! It's a beauty

The greebling on the sides fits perfectly, the slight variety in greys makes this not too clean a ship but still clean enough, if that makes sense to you :D

Wow, I wasn't aware of this ship before today, but you've made a simply incredible MOC. It looks so perfectly SW! Thank you especially for the brilliant WIP shots, I love to see how things are put together. :sweet: