Tracytron

2017 Lego Star Wars UCS set vote

14 hours ago, kibosh said:

No way will it be a PT set.  Think about it.  Anything like a Venator or a Falcon is going to be expensive so they're appealing to a limited market.  That limited market will have a much better shot at buying perhaps the most iconic ship from the franchise.  A UCS Falcon has the best shot at good sales numbers.

I don't think that logic is really sound. While you are right that UCS sets appeal to a different set of consumers, because of the price point and age restriction most of the buyers are adults buying for themselves. But let's not forget, that the Prequel-generation grew up in the meantime, so those sets might have a brand new audience who can now maybe afford it, and many of them actually likes the prequels more than the old ones (crazy as it sounds...)

I myself - although a member of mentioned generation - am more of an OT fan, and have many problems with the PT in general, but the one thing I think nobody can take away from them is that those films too have a very unique and interesting slew of vehicles. Therefore, I do think that even a PT UCS set - if chosen wisely and executed properly - could sell really well. 

But for other reasons I also doubt that we will be getting new PT UCS sets. Disney seems more focused on invoking the OT fandom, and rather quiet about the PT, only taking elements from that era that are acceptable for OT fans too, they don't want to risk upsetting the fanbase again with the controversial topics. Besides, it's the anniversary of EPIV, so they will probably focus on that era.

I am no longer pressed because I built Raskolnikov's extraordinary model and i'm very satisfied. However I am shocked there hasn't been a UCS AT-AT. The five most iconic vessels in Star Wars are easily the X-Wing, Tie Fighter, the Falcon, Death Star, and the AT-AT.  You ask anyone on the street and there is no question they would mention one if not all those. The battle of Hoth is iconic in cinema history up there with King Kong on the Empire State Building (no pun intended.) 

We have the first four in UCS format. It's mind blowing we don't have the AT-AT as a UCS set. I mean how did the Sandcrawler get designed before it? The Slave 1 I get because Boba Fett is extremely popular but the Sandcrawler? Look i'm ultimately glad it was made as It's a great set and the vehicle is definitely memorable as are most Star Wars vehicles but come on. Compared to the symbol of the unstoppable Imperial War Machine? 

Assault on Hoth? They made a UCS based on the rebel side of Hoth, your general consumer doesnt care about the rebel side. I know it was meant to be released in tandem with the system scale AT-AT but they missed that shot. 

I think the issue with big AT-ATs is always going to be stability because of the heavy body and thin legs. I've built Anio's, which at 2,500 or so parts and 50cm tall is pretty much perfect UCS scale. While it stands well enough, there's a knack to arranging the feet and legs into the right positions.

I think if Lego do release one, they'll sacrifice a fair amount of accuracy in exchange for stability.

15 hours ago, Forresto said:

However I am shocked there hasn't been a UCS AT-AT. The five most iconic vessels in Star Wars are easily the X-Wing, Tie Fighter, the Falcon, Death Star, and the AT-AT.  You ask anyone on the street and there is no question they would mention one if not all those. 

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/Ultimate_Collector's_Series 

What might 10178 be? :wink:

3 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

As much as I adore my 10178 I don't see it as being a 'UCS' and neither do Bricklink or Brickset.  It brought me out of my dark ages, and is an incredible feat of engineering, but it's not 'Ultimate' in any respect (e.g. size, accuracy or appeal!).  I hope that TLG will release one at some point; they should be able to create a stunning model in the 2,500 - 3,000 part range, as several fans have already demonstrated. 

My wish-list is all OT; UCS Falcon, Star Destroyer, Blockade Runner, AT-AT & TIE Bomber.  I've almost given up hoping that we'll ever get a UCS Cloud City after seeing 2016's feeble offerings - but I guess you never know.  Perhaps 2020 could be the year....