just2good

LEGO Ideas: 21310 Old Fishing Store (Fall 2017)

12 minutes ago, SheepEater said:

Love it!

But lobsters are only red once boiled!:wink:

Indeed! Would be nice to get some lobsters in dark brown.

On 6/2/2017 at 9:32 AM, Boettner Builds said:

Yeah! The first ideas set with stickers!!! :(

side note: TLG can't even keep a sticker sheet form getting messed up...

Actually third Lego Ideas set with stickers, the first two were the Shinkai submarine, and The Big Bang Theory.

The sticker sheet looks doubled, because looking at the stickers, it seems that there are duplicate ones as well.

Edited by jake0324demo

Best.idea.set.ever!! The slower they bring that baby to stores, the better. Fall is too early for me. I am counting on you Santa!!

Just now, BrickFit26 said:

The set looks amazing, and all of those printed pieces :wub::wub_drool::grin_wub:

Most are stickers unfortunately

Just now, just2good said:

Oh no, I was under the impression that all LEGO Idea sets had zero stickers and were al printed pieces. :sceptic:

57 minutes ago, BrickFit26 said:

Oh no, I was under the impression that all LEGO Idea sets had zero stickers and were al printed pieces. :sceptic:

They do contain a lot of printed parts, but it's not by default, unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, just2good said:

Not true. There are few stickers for single parts, but most of those pieces is printed (1x3; 1x4 wooden planks - various colours, 1x2 tiles with fish hooks pattern, Anton´s sign, money (bill and coin), 1x1 yellow tile on cash desk, newspapers, and others...) .

1 hour ago, BrickFit26 said:

How about Big bang theory set? :)

Old fishing store is listed at shop@home. Coming on September first. 

In the Netherlands it'll cost 160 euros.

Hmm. Those pictures interest me on two levels; one, why is the sailor threatening a cat with an oar (#5)? That doesn't seem right for TLG.
And two, they seem computer-generated. Why? Have a look at the resolution/rendering of the brown studs underneath the camera in the image of the inside of the tower (#4). Also, in the image where the back has been opened (#2), no light should be entering from the ceiling above the cashier desk, unless they did a photo with and without the roof on and merged them together. It still looks unnaturally bright inside though, to me at least. What does anyone else think? Is it just me?
If these images are computer-generated, has TLG done this before, or is it a new thing? I haven't noticed it before if they have.

This is the most single original best LEGO Ideas set at its finest, not associating to any license or franchise. 

7 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

Hmm. Those pictures interest me on two levels; one, why is the sailor threatening a cat with an oar (#5)? That doesn't seem right for TLG.
And two, they seem computer-generated. Why? Have a look at the resolution/rendering of the brown studs underneath the camera in the image of the inside of the tower (#4). Also, in the image where the back has been opened (#2), no light should be entering from the ceiling above the cashier desk, unless they did a photo with and without the roof on and merged them together. It still looks unnaturally bright inside though, to me at least. What does anyone else think? Is it just me?
If these images are computer-generated, has TLG done this before, or is it a new thing? I haven't noticed it before if they have.

I had the impression before that many pictures of sets are renders. Certain things, like the lighting you mention, are a bit too perfect sometimes. Then again, they show nicely every detail and if the differences to a photo are subtle enough and don't give a wrong idea of a set, I can live with it.

9 minutes ago, WhiteFang said:

This is the most single original best LEGO Ideas set at its finest, not associating to any license or franchise. 

I absolutely agree. Its good to see that Lego can create a buzz without relying on them.

Unexpected but absolutely stunning. The colours are exceptional, this isn't something that I'd usually add to my Lego collection but have to admit this set is tempting.

On 6/8/2017 at 10:12 AM, WhiteFang said:

The Old Fishing Store is a fine set, and someone I know (not me) will most likely be buying a copy.  However, I'd say the Birds set is the most original Ideas/Cuusoo set.  Of the Ideas sets that are not based on entertainment or engineering intellectual properties, the Exo-Suit more or less fit into the existing Space line, the Maze more or less fit into the existing Games line, the Research Institute more or less fit into the Collectible Minifigures concept, and the Old Fishing Store more or less fits into the Modular Buildings line.  The Birds set didn't fit into any product niche that existed before its release, and Lego has not released a similar set since it went out of production.  That's partially why I didn't buy it when it was in retail stores, though I regret that now.  The robin and blue jay models are very nice.  (Sorry for going a little off-topic.)

They often released brick-made animals in the Creator line

21 hours ago, icm said:

The Old Fishing Store is a fine set, and someone I know (not me) will most likely be buying a copy.  However, I'd say the Birds set is the most original Ideas/Cuusoo set.  Of the Ideas sets that are not based on entertainment or engineering intellectual properties, the Exo-Suit more or less fit into the existing Space line, the Maze more or less fit into the existing Games line, the Research Institute more or less fit into the Collectible Minifigures concept, and the Old Fishing Store more or less fits into the Modular Buildings line.  The Birds set didn't fit into any product niche that existed before its release, and Lego has not released a similar set since it went out of production.  That's partially why I didn't buy it when it was in retail stores, though I regret that now.  The robin and blue jay models are very nice.  (Sorry for going a little off-topic.)

I do think Birds is original as well. However, if is purely basing on non-licensed approach, the old Fishing Store got me completely sold out. I owned most of the LEGO Ideas sets including BTTF, Exo Suit, BBT, BIrds, Ecto 1, Beatles,etc. Those are some good LEGO IDEAS sets which I am totally convinced of parting money with my wallet. I personally felt we do not get a real original building submission and this reconcile with my close liking of modular. Well, I suspect Birds could be consider under Special LEGO Theme, or Scale Modeling to some extent. :wink: 

I can never figure out Lego pricing.  The Saturn V rocket was 1969 pieces and was $120, this is slightly more piece count and is $150.  I really like this set so will pick it up, but the pricing confuses me.  Saturn had to be licensed I assume with NASA, this has no license at all.  

I really like the colors on this set and while it can't be attached to the other modular sets, it would be cool to get some blue water baseplates and add to the town atmosphere at one end.  The trawler idea is excellent and would fit right in with those blue baseplates.

I think this set is more expensive than the Saturn V because of all the minifigs and animals included (while the Saturn V that I just received only includes a few identical astronaut microfigs). I agree that a boat (even a small one) needs to be added to perfect it. In any case it will be a day one purchase for me, especially as my son's name is... Anton :-)

21 hours ago, Herky said:

I can never figure out Lego pricing.  The Saturn V rocket was 1969 pieces and was $120, this is slightly more piece count and is $150.  I really like this set so will pick it up, but the pricing confuses me.  Saturn had to be licensed I assume with NASA, this has no license at all.

Cost not only depends on the quantity of pieces, but also the diversity of the pieces based on type, color, printing, etc. I think this is because there is an extra cost to dedicate molding machines for each brick type. So a set with 1000 pieces of the same piece will be cheaper than a set with 500 pieces of one type and another 500 pieces of another type.

I think LEGO gives each designer a type of production budget to fall under. A smart designer can squeeze in more piece types into their design if they use brick types that are being produced for other sets.

I think there was a good discussion of this on reddit for the Lego ideas/cuusoo exo-suit.

great way to think about it, take for instance, Big Ben, very detailed with tons of 1x1 or variations of it to give the detail and that pops it into the $250 category, as you say possible unique molding, plus likely a license involved...I will be picking up the fishing modular, just interesting.  My bucket list includes Denmark, have ancestors from there as well, so if I get there and am on the tour, I will be asking.  I did get to LEGOLAND CA a while back but since they aren't owned by Lego, they didn't know much.  Couldn't even get VIP points with my card on purchases.

In any case, I really like this set's final design, just looks like you could head down to the water and find this and pick up some dinner.

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 0:45 AM, just2good said:

Ah, crap.  One of the many reasons I love the Saturn V is its' complete lack of the dreaded stickers.