just2good

LEGO Ideas: 21310 Old Fishing Store (Fall 2017)

15 hours ago, badbob001 said:

I hope the set keeps the option for a closed-back not always opened like a dollhouse.

What I would do is to make the house on two 16x32 baseplate, and allow opening like the houses in the 10193 "Medieval Market Village". I really hope that TLG designers considered this option... The structure of the building absolutely allows this modification, and would be better, than the original. Also adds extra playability, and looks larger.

And I think there must be a seagull somewhere, maybe on the left side, sitting on the fence, which is just not visible on the image.

I didn't wanted to buy this set, but now I'm not that sure about it. Even this low quality image looks so good.

It looks great! Lots of detail and pretty faithful to the original. However, it's easily going to be the most expensive Ideas set ever and I don't think I'll be able to get it with all of the stuff already on my list.

So, I'm curious. Let's say I upload a Moc that hits 10.000 and get's produced. An honour ofcourse, but a potential big sale for Lego too. Question is, what does the designer get?

14 hours ago, Captain Green Hair said:

So, I'm curious. Let's say I upload a Moc that hits 10.000 and get's produced. An honour ofcourse, but a potential big sale for Lego too. Question is, what does the designer get?

I believe the designer gets 1% of sales.  They interviewed one of the designers a few years ago, I can't remember for which set.  He wouldn't say how much money he received in royalties, but did say it was enough to buy a decent new mid-size car.  I guessed it was about $25,000.

Whoa! I've been away from this thread for a bit; I didn't realize there were pics already! It still looks beautiful.

I was coming here to say it appears we have confirmation this set will have the highest piece count by far of any Ideas set to date, with the possible exception of the also-forthcoming Apollo 11 Saturn V, which we know will be huge but will likely have lots of large parts, so there's no telling what the part count will be. Yesterday, an Ideas user commented on the Ideas blog post about the latest review results (in which they announced Women of NASA will become a set) "Congratulations to the winner! But it Looks like I'm still waiting for Lego to choose a 1,500+ piece ideas project to buy!", and Hasan from the LEGO Ideas Team replied "It appears you may have missed our last review announcement ;-)". The Old Fishing Store was the last Ideas set announced before Women of NASA, so this strongly suggests the Old Fishing Store will have 1500+ pieces. If it has 1542 or more, it will have twice as many (or more!) as the largest Ideas set released so far. Wow!

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/1-blog/post/121?comment_uuid=5e15e20a-e0dd-4bf4-beb4-8575716af4e4#comment-5e15e20a-e0dd-4bf4-beb4-8575716af4e4

I can't wait for this!  If I'm being complexity honest I didn't think it would pass though.

I know it's probably not the best place for it but the results seem a little all over the place, so is it confirmed that we have three Ideas sets coming in 2017 now?

21 minutes ago, Legoman123 said:

I can't wait for this!  If I'm being complexity honest I didn't think it would pass though.

I know it's probably not the best place for it but the results seem a little all over the place, so is it confirmed that we have three Ideas sets coming in 2017 now?

Hardly anyone thought it would pass! But it certainly was a pleasant surprise.

We have at least two Ideas sets this year, and possibly three. The Apollo 11 Saturn V should be out around July, and then this set should be out sometime in the fall. The Women of NASA set is currently due either late this year or early next year (they did specifically mention in the announcement that it could be either).

Originally, we would have had one more set this year, as the Adventure Time set was going to have been a January release (and IIRC, the box still has a "copyright 2017" date on it - can someone check?), but it got moved up from January 1, 2017 to December 26, 2016 at the last minute, taking 2016 from having three Ideas sets to four, and making it the third year in a row with that many. That doesn't appear to be a possibilty for this year, but I think having two sets that are as big as Apollo 11 and the Fishing Store will make up for it.

7 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Hardly anyone thought it would pass! But it certainly was a pleasant surprise.

We have at least two Ideas sets this year, and possibly three. The Apollo 11 Saturn V should be out around July, and then this set should be out sometime in the fall. The Women of NASA set is currently due either late this year or early next year (they did specifically mention in the announcement that it could be either).

Originally, we would have had one more set this year, as the Adventure Time set was going to have been a January release (and IIRC, the box still has a "copyright 2017" date on it - can someone check?), but it got moved up from January 1, 2017 to December 26, 2016 at the last minute, taking 2016 from having three Ideas sets to four, and making it the third year in a row with that many. That doesn't appear to be a possibilty for this year, but I think having two sets that are as big as Apollo 11 and the Fishing Store will make up for it.

Right I'm with you now, thanks for clearing that up.:sweet:  In all honest though I did think it would be downsized a fair bit, but from the looks of that leaked photo it's an exact replica of the original.:wub:

When could we expect an official anouncement for the Old Fishing Store?

Its release is expected in the fall. Is that around September?

I believe so. I know that it takes at least 6 months or so after the announcement for them to design box art, redesign the set (if they do at all), and all the little details. 

Brickset just posted pictures on their social media and a Dutch source posted  box art + information. 

The Old Fishing Store officially opens its doors for business on the 1st of September, 2017 for a recommended retail price of USD 149.99 / EURO 149.99 / GBP 139.99. Weighing in at 2,049 LEGO bricks, this store will have plenty of space to stock all the fishing gear you need.

Here is the official description:

Find all the gear you need for a fantastic fishing trip at the Old Fishing Store! Walk up the steps from the beach into the shop selling fishing rods, hooks, harpoons, diving equipment, oxygen tanks and much more. Climb the ladder to the top of the watchtower and look through the telescope to enjoy the view. Then relax and read the newspaper in the office. Just make sure the cat or seagulls don’t eat the freshly caught fish hanging outside!

The Old Fishing Store is ideal for display and role-play, this model has 2 removable roofs, an opening back wall in the shop for easy access, 4 minifigures, cat and 3 seagull figures, as well as loads of other cool details and elements to fire up the imagination.

Inspired by a personal passion 

Inspiration for LEGO Ideas projects often come from a very personal place, and Robert’s inspiration to build his Old Fishing Store certainly is no different from this observation. It’s that passion for something familiar that truly shines throughout his set and can be noticed in all the details. Robert elaborates on where this inspiration came from – “Fishing has always been my hobby. From fishing in the Caribbean, where I lived for a while, to fishing in Holland. So you could say that my interest in fishing and my job as an architectural draughtsman came together in this model“.

He adds that “inspiration is very important, so was finding a theme that could help develop the model. I got my initial inspiration from the LEGO Christmas houses and sea villages. I started by doing some sketching on paper, then created a mood board to determine the details and color schemes. Especially the use of the right colors was important in my design“.

When Robert’s Old Fishing Store was approved for production in the fall of 2016, LEGO designer Adam Grabowski took over the project “to make sure that the model lived up to LEGO quality“. It is often a challenging job to respect someone else’s design whilst altering it to fit LEGO guidelines, but Adam says he “tried to stay very true to the original design. That’s what got 10,000 votes and is what the people want. I didn’t want to change much of the original look and there was no reason to do so“.

Adam puts on the hat of an AFOL and adds, “it was great to be able to bring back certain elements like the seagull, and use others like the lobster, that were only previously available in other sets”.

http://www.bouwsteentjes.info/lego-ideas-21310-old-fishing-store-onthuld/

4445314-21310_Box1_v39_Low-res-vaFz9E9nt

4445318-21310_Box5_v39_Low-res-Zm4JjDvph

18814174_1392018554213630_85714489775800

18839105_1392018550880297_20027354438255

18740611_1392018564213629_26533324055915

18813209_1392018567546962_34317019726559

Edited by Kevii23
added price

I am usually not into the buildings but this one is charming.