Sign in to follow this  
ZeldaTheSwordsman

Bionicle vignettes

I figured it would be a neat idea to start a thread for posting vignettes done with Bionicle sets and MOCs. I have two to start:

takua_chronicles_a_lamppost_by_zeldathes

First is Takua chronicling a giant lamp-post, and wondering what sort of being would need one that size.

iruini_on_the_attack_by_zeldatheswordsma

Second is Iruini battling Visorak with the help of the Kikanalo he's riding.

Edited by ZeldaTheSwordsman

What a wonderful idea! I really ought to dust off the ol' collection and do some scenes. Do you think brick-build structures would work with or against the Bionicle aesthetic?

6 hours ago, ---Vertea--- said:

What a wonderful idea! I really ought to dust off the ol' collection and do some scenes. Do you think brick-build structures would work with or against the Bionicle aesthetic?

They might work okay... but I think "diorama"-type scenery (like what you'd build for model trains and other such displays) would work better with Bionicle sets and look more like the in-fiction environments.

17 hours ago, ---Vertea--- said:

Do you think brick-build structures would work with or against the Bionicle aesthetic?

They'll end up looking like a screenshot from Bionicle Heroes. Decide for yourself if it's a good thing. :tongue:

Edited by Onepu the Protector

21 hours ago, ---Vertea--- said:

I've actually long thought about how cool a brick built Bionicle diorama would look. The issue is since Bionicle figures are so huge, any structure would need to be larger that a modular building set to be convincing. It would be huge and expensive.

The other path I have considered is building a "scale model" style diorama. This would start with insulation foam, use plaster molded rocks, lots of glue and latex paint, some styrene, some rocks and some ground foam. It would be more work than building it in Lego, but the final build would be cheaper and would look like a natural environment. Seeing Bionicle normally has natural looking settings, that might be the best option.

2 hours ago, xboxtravis7992 said:

I've actually long thought about how cool a brick built Bionicle diorama would look. The issue is since Bionicle figures are so huge, any structure would need to be larger that a modular building set to be convincing. It would be huge and expensive.

It's something I've been wanting to build for years. Actually, I once made a little (and awful :laugh:HF diorama for an exhibition built on a 48*48 baseplate (that was in 2011), and also some (virtual) environments for Toa of various sizes, which were inspired by the MOCs that were posted on the BIONICLE Facebook page.

I don't know if they would absolutely need to be larger than modular buildings. Sure, building on a 48*48 baseplate offers more room, but if you want to display a single character, I think a 32*32 baseplate should work fine. Now, if you want a full-size diorama with several characters fighting, you'll have to go big, that's sure.

4 hours ago, Leewan said:

It's something I've been wanting to build for years. Actually, I once made a little (and awful :laugh:HF diorama for an exhibition built on a 48*48 baseplate (that was in 2011), and also some (virtual) environments for Toa of various sizes, which were inspired by the MOCs that were posted on the BIONICLE Facebook page.

I don't know if they would absolutely need to be larger than modular buildings. Sure, building on a 48*48 baseplate offers more room, but if you want to display a single character, I think a 32*32 baseplate should work fine. Now, if you want a full-size diorama with several characters fighting, you'll have to go big, that's sure.

I was about to link to those display bases on Mecabricks! Didn't realize those were yours!

NQfapYg.jpg

Sunset in Okoto. Picture taken down at the Ticino river near Vigevano, in Northern Italy.

WFBBp9R.jpg

Pohatu ready to kick some rocks.