Sign in to follow this  
Cecilie

[MOC] Tokyo Skyline

My attempt at building a Tokyo skyline in the architecture style.
Tokyo is such a city of contrasts. From skyscrapers and neon lights to old temples and shrines. From busy streets full of cars and people, to forests and serene gardens right in the middle of the city.

For my build I selected the 5 most famous landmarks in Tokyo, from left to right: Meiji Jingu, Tokyo Tower, the Imperial palace, Tokyo Skytree and Senso-ji.

29958119106_601c1ac1b5_c.jpg
Tokyo skyline by Cecilie Fritzvold, on Flickr

I had to make some compromises on what parts of the buildings to include, to keep it within the slim format, so Meiji Jingu is represented by only a part of the shrine as well as one of the characteristic trees in the main yard.
The actual Imperial Palace is hidden from public view unless on special occasions and for guided tours, and isn't that interesting of a building anyway, but it's surrounded by the imperial gardens which are open to the public, and the most iconic part of the grounds is the encircling moat with a view of the Seimon Ishibashi bridge which leads to the main gate of the palace, and Fushimi-yagura keep which can be seen behind it. So that is what I built.
For Senso-ji I also added the Hozomon gate, which is quite substantial and stands at the entrance to the temple grounds.