Ayrlego

[COR-Ch4B] Plundering the treasure fleet!

Prior builds:

In the Captains Cabin (Bregir)

Pieces Of A Puzzle (Ayrlego)

Arriving at Mooreton Bay (Bregir)

Dirk, Davy and Sergeant Gowan weren’t the only new crewman the Black Oak had taken on of late, and soon after boarding they were assigned various tasks and duties. It was not long before they turned up good intelligence on the privateer either. The crew were more than willing to talk of the rumoured Eslandolan treasure fleet they were going after and there was much speculation on how they would take prizes from the fleet. Dirk also discovered that on the way to Leopoldis the Oak had taken a Corlander merchantman and that deep in the hold approximately half a dozen Corlander prisoners were being kept in captivity. In Dirk’s mind, this fact, more than any other made the Oak a legitimate target for Captain Cooke and the Ironsides.

Further evidence was uncovered when a ship named Shareka arrived in the bay with supplies for the Oak. The captain of the Shareka, Corvus Rohgert, came aboard briefly with a load of cannonballs for the frigate. He disappeared into the Captain's cabin with the Captain of the Black Oak, Hendrick Janszoon and the quartermaster. The trio emerged after an hour or so and Rohgert returned to his vessel.

Of course the plan upon boarding the Oak had always been to conduct a quick reconnaissance, gather any information they could glean, and then sneak off as soon as possible. Unfortunately however that wasn’t quite how it worked out…

Janszoon, now fully re-crewed and resupplied, had decided to quietly slip out of Leopoldis that very night. With no chance to sneak ashore, Dirk and his companions had little choice but to put to sea with the privateer with the hope that the Ironsides would catch up with them before too long. The three meet on the upper decks to conduct a whispered conversation.

“Well a fine pickle we find ourselves in now isn’t it” declared Davy

“Indeed.” answered Dirk, “The plan was always going to be for Cooke and the Ironsides to intercept the Oak after she left Leopoldis… of course we were supposed to be aboard the Ironsides and not the Oak!

“Aye well, when the Ironsides turns up we’ll swap sides I imagine” injected the Sergeant Gowan nonchalantly .

“Yes, and if we can free the prisoners in the hold it will bolster our force – hopefully we can give Cooke the advantage he needs.” continued Dirk.

"Some gossip you may be interested in Major, it appears that Rohgert bought the Captain some interesting news" said Davy. Apparently a portion of the greenback treasure will be disguised as cannonballs...."

“Oi, you three, back to work you lubbers” screamed the quartermaster, spying the trio talking. With that the three men went back to their tasking.

After three days sailing the Oak had spotted the sails of the treasure fleet on the horizon, but there was still no sign of the Ironsides. The next days were spent stalking the fleet from a distance. Janszoon was confident that a chance would arrive to pick off vessels one at a time. On the forth day cannon shot could be heard over the horizon, and it was assumed that the fleet had engaged other pirates somewhere to the north. The Oak’s chance came shortly thereafter. During a small squall that night, one of the fleet’s galleons became separated from the rest of the fleet and lagged behind. Janszoon took his chance and pounced, at full sail the Oak surged through the waves and gave chase.

29387794794_7d95097d3a_c.jpg

Dirk and Davy observed the Galleon from the deck.
“Rather old fashioned looking” commented Dirk
“An older galleon” stated Davy. “The greenbacks have been using them to transport their wealth back to the mainland since men first sailed out here.”
“So the pirate’s confidence in taking her easily is well founded?” asked Dirk.
“Nay,” answered Davy, “Don’t be fooled by her gaudy colours and stubby old fashioned appearance, the greenbacks still use them for a reason – they are strong and extremely tough and well armed for a merchantman. Also her decks are higher than ours, which makes her less manoeuvrable, but also means we will be at a disadvantage when boarding.” Davy pondered the situation some more. “This crew we find ourselves part of is new and has been hastily thrown together. Most of the men have never worked together before, although there are a sprinkling of old salts through the crew and most have had individual experience at sea actions.”
“The notable expectation being me of course” quipped Dirk. Although an experienced army officer he had never fought on the high seas before.
“Aye, except for you and the good Sergeant, landlubbers you are” replied Davy.
“If we catch her it will be a close thing I predict. Her crew will be good and they know there will be no mercy from pirates – they’ll fight hard. I suspect that the Captain knows it too, that’s why he beefed up the crew in Leopoldis. The question I have for you Major Allcock, is what do we do in a boarding action”
Both men pondered that for a while.
While Dirk was still silent Davy added,
“If things don’t go well for us we’ll never convince the greenbacks we are Corrie spies, they’ll execute us as pirates – if they even allow us to surrender… and even if the Oak gets away, the pirates here will know we didn’t fight and we will probably meet the same fate… or worse…”
Dirk look up. “Then we hope that we don’t catch her… but if we do….” This next part came hard for the usually law abiding Major. “… then I guess we fight as pirates and hope Cooke catches up with us soon.” There really wasn’t any other alternative.

Unfortunately for Dirk, a few hours later it seemed inevitable they would catch the smaller vessel. As the first cannon crashed out Dirk found himself crewing one of the cannons on the gun deck of the frigate. Thus Major Dirk Allcock, temporary military commander of the Corlander colony of Alicentia and Secretary of the Royal Society of Natural Philosophy reluctantly became a pirate.

The two ships exchanged fire for only a short time. Janszoon closed in on the galleon, who was revealed to have the name Alejandro de Vargas. The approach was made as fast as possible as to not overly damage his potential prize. A lucky cannon ball from the Oak knocked out the Alejandro’s rudder meaning the Oak was able to rapidly approach alongside for boarding. The men abandoned the cannons and Dirk found himself with Davy and Sergeant Gowan forming up with the aft attack party on the main deck. Small arms fire began to ring out as the Eslandolan Marines opened fire with their muskets. Sharp shooters from both ships masts began their own deadly duel. Sergeant Gowan, the best shot of the trio, joined in the shooting, and to the delight of the nearby pirates managed to hit a marine perched in the galleon’s main mast.

29721490970_1d8f37cd8a_c.jpg

The first grappling hooks were thrown across from the Oak and men heaved the two ships closer together. It was now, with the two vessels locked in a deadly embrace that disaster struck for the pirates. Just as the men were about to surge forward and leap onto the galleon, a wave lifted her out of the water enough to give one of her forward guns a clear shot of the deck. The Eslandolans manning the gun had been waiting for just such an opportunity, and had charged the gun with a musket balls and metal scraps. The deadly grape shot crashed across the forecastle of the Oak, cutting down most of the waiting forward boarding party, including the ship’s Quartermaster. Before Dirk had time to fully comprehend this event, the ships crashed together with a terrifying crack of timber and Dirk stumbled and was pushed forward with the rest of the aft boarding party. He leaped up onto the deck of the galleon and had barely scrambled to his feet before being knocked back down by the body of the pirate before him. A group of Eslandolan marines, led by a Sergeant in an old fashioned breastplate, polished to a gleaming silver and carrying a wicked looking poleaxe. The marines charged. Dirk just had time to lift his pistol and dispatch one before the lines crashed together. Hastily discarding the pistol, his sword came up desperately to parry an attack from an Eslandolan sailor.

29901913912_89f02bd8c6_c.jpg

In those first minutes of the melee, the greater numbers of pirates began to slowly overcome the defenders. However this ended when a party of Eslandolan marines and sailors who were stationed forward to repel boarders rushed aft to join the battle. They were no longer required forward due to the fact the survivors of the Oak’s forward boarding party remained onboard the Oak. Now evenly matched, things were becoming desperate for the attacking pirates. Dirk found himself alongside his trusted Sergeant and the two fought together as they had many times on land. Dirk found himself facing the Marine Sergeant with the breastplate and poleaxe. He was able to somehow parry the first two crushing blows, but was completely off balance for the third. It was then a pistol ball struck the marine’s breast plate and deflected up, lodging in the man’s jaw. Dirk glanced behind to see Davy holding a smoking pistol. “Was saving that one” he commented laconically.

29901935392_83fb409994_c.jpg

Eventually the Eslandolan defence collapsed due to the greater numbers of pirates and sheer ferocity of their attack. The survivors, including the trio of Corlanders, stood exhausted on the blood soaked deck. The casualties were enormous however, far greater than anticipated – almost half the Oak’s crew were dead or maimed to the point where they were useless. Not a single Eslandolan survived.

Night was fast approaching, and to make things worse it seems so was another squall. Desperate repairs began on both ships. Dirk could never recall much of what happened in the next few hours, the men feverishly worked in a state of trance to repair the ships in order to get underway. It was clear that they would need to return to a safe harbour with their prize before attempting another attack on the fleet. Janszoon was furious. Soon both ships were limping forward, a skeleton prize crew including Davy aboard the Alejandro. Dirk and Sergeant Gowan remained aboard the Oak.

Then as the last light was quickly fading on the western horizon, a cry from the lookout alerted the crew to sails on the southern horizon…

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An extra shot

29721497410_5cfa97e937_c.jpg

Edited by Ayrlego

Tough the Eslandolans ship is nice, the Pirate-one is super awesome! Great job!

What a battle... though the ending, of course, was quite disappointing!  :pir-laugh:  Very nice pair of ships!  The Eslandian one looks quite hefty and I particularly like the pirate ship!
Story-wise, a very clever way to fight against us without apparently intending to... sneaky!

Great entry! I think your ESL ship is a little blocky in the fore and aft castles, but the pirate ship is beautiful! :pir-wub:

A great continuation of the tale! I was wondering how you were going to pull it off but the story is coming together quite well!

Those ships are pretty neat. I have to agree that the Pirate ship is the better of the two but that is just based on immediate impressions. Nice to see another full ship battle. 

Edited by SilentWolf

Great story, and I love the action shots. And both ships are fantastic! I really like the colors used on both. And I always like seeing more galleons in the Brick Seas. Well done!

Thanks for the comments everyone.

A few things I should have mentioned up top,

The pirate ship is my clone attempted at CGH's build a frigate tutorial, so all credit to it's awesomeness is his!

The galleon uses the same technique but is my design - hence why it is definitely not as cool!

At the conclusion of our story both vessels will be licensed for the EGS.

Also here are pictures of the crew of the two vessels - I've already posted the Eslandolans in their thread, but felt I better take a picture of the pirates with the three stowaways as well!

29954709871_8da31a3729_c.jpg

29199776014_0abc854f1c_c.jpg

19 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Story-wise, a very clever way to fight against us without apparently intending to... sneaky!

Thanks Kai! It's not that I wanted to fight against Eslandola, but who could resist a challenge to plunder a treasure fleet!! We (Bregir and I) went through several different ideas so I could do this without (hopefully) upsetting any greenies! :pir-tongue:

Edited by Ayrlego

As I told you elsewhere, I think your story is extraordinarily well-written, and have made for a very enjoyable read. (And, it has been great fun to work with you developing our collab story!) I am not entirely sure I didn't want to plunder the Eslandians, but I completely agree that it was important to spin it so that Corrington could not be blamed! :pir-grin:

The action shots are nice, and it looks like a bloody boarding action!

A few comments on the vessels:

The Black Oak: It is a beautitul rendition of the CGH technique, and I really like the colourscheme.It gets a little bulky in the bow, as if the forecastle is a bit too tall, and the sides around there a bit too vertical, but generally the shape is brilliant. The stern is perfect to me.

The galleon: Great to see another galleon in the Brick Seas! The railings and the colours, especially the green and yellow cheese slopes and the red and yellow chequered stripes below are great accents to the nice curve of the hull. I like the long beakhead so typical of Galleons, and you have captured the tall stern and forecastles well too. I do think they might be a bit too blocky, and the sterncastle a bit too tall, though. And I wonder if not the "tumblehomed" sides could be raised to also form the sides of the fore and aftcastles.

Generally: I like your sails, but I think their shapes could be optimised. They seem too square to me. Remember that the sails hang on the upper yard with their sheets tied to the ends of the wider lower yard, meaning most sails are wider at the bottom than at the top. In would also have angled the yards a bit too, as if the wind isn't coming in straight aft, as it looks a little blockish with the current right angles. It would make it a bit more dynamic to look at. :pir-grin:

Overall beautiful and well done entry, with two really nice vessels and a fabulous story! :pir-blush:

The next chapter in our story can be found here:

While I think most that can be said about these ships has been said by Bregir and others already, I have to add something (besides that these are generally great ships): Why is the bowsprit on the Galleon like that? It looks great on the pirate ship, but the one on the Galleon just looks weird, going in and out and everything...

Oh, and have I already said that the colourscheme on the pirates ship looks great? I need to get myself some dark green bricks... Also, that boarding action and crew is great (So many great ideas for the Eslandolan torsos)!

:pir-oh: :pir-oh3: I had thought better of you guys... :tongue: :laugh:

In all seriousness, though, another excellent story and a couple of beautiful ships, Ayrlego, and great continuation of the collab!  While a tad block-y (particularly in the front - I personally think the stern is perfectly fine! :pir-wink:) the Eslandolan galleon is very nice overall, the balcony on the stern is superb, and the tumble-home and ornate color-scheme are excellent as well!  I only rather wish that the bowsprit was smoother and the lower sails were set - I know that they tend to make it difficult to photograph, but I rather prefer it for all that! :pir-tongue:

The dark green ship, though!  The angled sides look superb, and the colors and rig are great too! :wub:  My only nitpick would be that the deck would probably be better either tiled or SNOTted, but that does complicate things a lot for minifig posing!  

Oh, and those crews are awesome (especially the poor Eslandolan ones! :pir_bawling:  At least they put up a good fight! :pir-grin:)!

Awesome ships! Really like the colour of the sails.

Excellent story and pics as well, great entry!

Thank you all for the comments! To be honest I rushed both vessels to get the entry in by the deadline - neither I am really happy with and I hope to revisit the Oak before it is licensed. The galleon I am especially disappointed with, one day I will try again with hopefully better results! However the most disappointing part for me was the photography. I really struggle with a setup (especially decent lighting) for larger builds!

Negatives aside, as for the story the intent was to finish with the Ironsides successfully taking both the galleon and frigate, with a little help from Dirk and the Corlander prisoners on-board. We had hoped to MOC this result but with things heating up here now I doubt it will be possible. Also I'd be quite happy not to work on another ship for a while! :pir-cry_sad: As legitimate prizes, Corrington will press both vessels into service. The Alejandro de Vargas will become the Alexander Keith and be registered privately as a 5T (I hesitated between 4WR and 5T - happy to hear any thoughts on this ideally she'd be a 5WR I think... I do have a tendency to build ships that don't fit into the existing categories - Lady Jacqueline should have been a 4F!!!). The Black Oak will be offered to the Royal Navy as HMS Royal Oak (5HA or 5HA+ depending on MRCA2.0).

6 hours ago, Garmadon said:

Oh, and those crews are awesome (especially the poor Eslandolan ones! :pir_bawling:  At least they put up a good fight! :pir-grin:)!

The figures are my favourite part! Was it you who made them the cover photo for the BoBS group on flickr? If so thank you, it's an honour!

On 10/3/2016 at 9:47 AM, Legostone said:

Why is the bowsprit on the Galleon like that?

In all honesty it was a time thing. The bowsprit was the last thing to do on the Galleon and my orginal design didn't work - so in a panic I copied the design from the frigate. :pir-look:

6 hours ago, Puvel said:

Really like the colour of the sails.

Thanks, they are white cloth soaked for a few hours in a combination of black tea and coffee.

On 10/3/2016 at 4:24 AM, Bregir said:

Generally: I like your sails, but I think their shapes could be optimised.

I totally agree, the sails look wrong! Ideally I would have sought your advice before posting but.... *sigh* time again!

Edited by Ayrlego

1 hour ago, Ayrlego said:

The figures are my favourite part! Was it you who made them the cover photo for the BoBS group on flickr? If so thank you, it's an honour!

Yes, Kai and I thought you couldn't go wrong with a bunch of awesome Eslandolan soldiers - and since a non-Eslandolan had built them, no one could legitimately have problems with it either! :grin: :laugh:

Those two ships display so much fortitude, durability and pure strength, it's absolutely amazing.

Your photography, the action scenes and the perfectly worked-out story make this another flawless challenge entry from your side. Fantastic work!

So over a year later I have finally got around to photographing HMS Royal Oak in Corrie colours. I never got to finish the rigging, and it isn't going to happen anytime soon, so I finally stopped procrastinating and took some shots. As you can see I still struggle to photograph larger builds....

27455890719_fefb96dcf7_z.jpg

25366010958_23eca53bac_z.jpg

38356208135_56e2854266_z.jpg

39203323522_81634deb28_z.jpg

38356193465_f3756cd3c3_z.jpg

She is a twenty eight gun frigate, although only has 20 guns in her main gun line. As promised she is offered to the Royal Navy as part of the Cruisers of Terra Nova initiative. I believe in the transition to MRCA 2.0 she was rated as a class 6, but I will confer with Bregir for her final statistics.

Edited by Ayrlego

@Ayrlego Very nice frigate you have here, you've reproduced accurately the lines of the real ship and I echo with the others this is a fine rendition of CGH's technique. She's a beauty and I think it's a good thing that you Corries managed to retrieve her from the pirates. Oh, I also like the golden bust used as figurehead, but I'm wondering too how did you do to fix the two round tiles on the torso?

50 minutes ago, Bodi said:

Oh, I also like the golden bust used as figurehead, but I'm wondering too how did you do to fix the two round tiles on the torso?

I have the same question !

The frigate is great with this dark green !

1 hour ago, Bodi said:

but I'm wondering too how did you do to fix the two round tiles on the torso?

I cheated and used superglue/the kraggle!

3 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

I cheated and used superglue/the kraggle!

*oh2*:pir-skel:

I am glad to see this ship photographed with some close up shots. I am also glad, since I'm starting on a ship, that rigging doesn't make or break a ship. 

I agree with SilentWolf that it's nice to see the close-ups! I'm also glad to see another ship finally outfitted for HM navy! I particularly like the handmade Corlander flag, I don't think I've seen our actual flag (as opposed to the standard lego one) on a ship before.

23 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

kraggle

Where's the piece of resistance?:tongue:

You've created a very unique torso here.:laugh: