coghilla

Track Electrification

Several years ago I posted about my project to build the Windhoff MPV. I updated the post last month with a few pics of the almost completed models.  The models depict the electrification of existing train track for running of electric trains. The whole build project has been inspired by the electrification of the Great Western Trail Line in the UK using the Windhoff MPV.

Last weekend I attended the Brick Event on the Gold Coast (Queensland, Australia). The table was a bit cramped but by talking to the public they were able to see the design and function of the machines. By the end of the first day talking to my table neighbour he convinced me that the 2 tables wasn’t enough for the display so to the floor I went.

Originally I was going to build two MPV’s, but during the process I increased the build to three with the third having a container style build with some nice snot construction techniques for the drivers cabin. I was quite happy how this turned out. The Windhoff MPV’s were fun (even if it took me a while) to build, especially since I went 8-wide therefore creating the scale of 1 stud = 1 foot. This gives the models great detail and sense of scale. I coupled the MPV’s with a wagon using the same scale. The MPV’s feature ISO locking points at 10’ intervals and a small knuckle boom crane at the trailing end. The substructure detailing was fun to create, trying to get the detail right balance between ease of build (using the parts I had), Lego geometry and accuracy. I was able to get during the build a couple of 1x4 light grey tiles with a text on them looking like a serial number or build plate. At 70 studs long (buffer to buffer) I was unable to get the bogie set to rotate as it is fixed to the sub-frame structure, so running it around the track is a no go for me.

The coupled wagons are 70’ (buffer to buffer) long at have ISO coupling points for 3x 20’ or 2x 30’ containers/pallets. I’m not 100% on the real world bogie spacing but again they are fixed and offer no rotation.

As part of the display I had previous built MOW equipment (trucks and the work wagons created by other talented individuals) showing the electrification process. I designed my own catenary system and while I’m happy it has room for improvement.

Stage 1 – footings

The Robel Bullok and trucks prepare the site and the footings.

Stage 2 - mast

MPV #1 is configured for mast installation with a stylized cab, 10’ tool room, a frame for mast storage and a long reach crane.

Stage 3 – minor structures

MPV #2 is configured for minor structure installation with a stylized cab, 10’ tool room, a 30’ pallet with an elevated work platform, and knuckle boom crane. Coupled to this is a wagon which holds plenty of catenary structures and a knuckle boom crane.

Stage 4 - Wiring

MPV #3 is configured for wire installation with a snot container style cab, a 30’ pallet with an wire dispenser spindles and a knuckle boom crane, a 10’ section for more spindles and again a knuckle boom crane. Coupled to this is a wagon which has a 30’ pallet with an elevated work platform, and a 30’ pallet with a 24’ scissor platform.

Stage 5 – testing

The Plasser & Theurer MTW100 measure test and adjusts.

As can be seen in the pics I used twisted wire. It was a great idea that didn’t pan out as I expected with too much twist and rigidity and the real stuff is held under tension which isn’t possible with my display. I have brought some other wire which will stay straight thanks to the youtube video hack.. There are plenty of small improvements to be made, but then no one is ever 100% happy….LOL

None the less please enjoy the pics and let me know what you think.

Video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vU1z_H10LF0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

29806604555_20bea5a55d_c.jpg2016 Brick Event Gold Coast by Aaron Coghill, on Flickr

29723981211_0b7808c5fc_c.jpg2016 Brick Event Gold Coast by Aaron Coghill, on Flickr

29806434985_33791a1998_c.jpg2016 Brick Event Gold Coast by Aaron Coghill, on Flickr

29723405451_d656c85957_c.jpg2016 Brick Event Gold Coast by Aaron Coghill, on Flickr

29178433974_1bec79871c_c.jpg2016 Brick Event Gold Coast by Aaron Coghill, on Flickr

29723478361_5a955aa61b_c.jpg2016 Brick Event Gold Coast by Aaron Coghill, on Flickr

29513753400_2599547144_c.jpg2016 Brick Event Gold Coast by Aaron Coghill, on Flickr

29723366671_00a8759970_c.jpg2016 Brick Event Gold Coast by Aaron Coghill, on Flickr

Edited by coghilla
better video link

That's a really good scene you've made there. You've caught the essence of rail electrification really well. I'm seeing the process myself for real along the South Wales stretch between Severn Tunnel Junction and Cardiff. I just wish Network Rail could work as fast as your workforce. Ha ha!!

Did you know that the real train in it's entirety is 23 vehicles long? As well as the processes you've modelled there are piling rigs for driving in the tubular steel foundation structures and onboard cement mixing facilities as well as wagons to carry all the stores and other necessities directly to site from the base in Swindon? You've still got a long way to go to model the entire process from beginning to end.

By the way, is there space on your model to add the steel safety wall at the side of the train? This is there to protect the workforce from train movements on the opposite line and is quite an obvious feature of this train.

Thanks Hod Carrier & BrickHat. 

HC you are very lucky to see the process for yourself I'm relying on photos and videos from websites. I did a fair bit of research into the process that network rail are using and the 23 MPVs / wagons they are using. I selected the three MPVs as it is a close to the limit of parts i have and the display would be too big. So the 3 middle stages in my opinion sell the story.

My early planning processes did include the pile driving unit, but it never got off the drawing board. I already had the Robel & the Plasser & Theurer units so adding them on the day was pretty easy, even if they do need some tweeking.

I redesigned the wagons last night and are now a lot more rigid & therefore stronger.

4 hours ago, coghilla said:

HC you are very lucky to see the process for yourself I'm relying on photos and videos from websites. I did a fair bit of research into the process that network rail are using and the 23 MPVs / wagons they are using. I selected the three MPVs as it is a close to the limit of parts i have and the display would be too big. So the 3 middle stages in my opinion sell the story.

My early planning processes did include the pile driving unit, but it never got off the drawing board. I already had the Robel & the Plasser & Theurer units so adding them on the day was pretty easy, even if they do need some tweaking.

Er, well...

When I say that I'm seeing the process for myself what I mean is that I'm seeing the structures going up. I've not seen the Factory Train itself along that stretch. It's like the fairies coming in the night and leaving signs of their visits.

I agree that you can't realistically model the entire Factory Train and I think that you've selected the right sections. Wagons carrying masts, piles, register arms, crew mess facilities and other structures aren't especially interesting and modelling the concrete pouring stage is perhaps a bit tricky. It's a shame you opted not to include the piling unit though, but as you're not modelling the piles either I guess that's fair enough.

At the risk of topic drift, the Great Western Mainline electrification is behind schedule. There are a number of reasons for this, but part of it is due to the piling unit. It simply isn't man enough to drive all the piles as far into the ground as needed and therefore the entire process cannot move as fast as planned. They should stand just a foot or two above the ground level so that the structures can be bolted onto them, but often you'll see them standing 12 or more feet proud meaning that Network Rail has to come back later with a more powerful piling unit to finish the job. Rumours suggest that the specification for diesel/electric hybrid Hitachi IEP trains that are intended to work this route has had to be altered with the train needing more diesel traction units than originally envisaged so that there is no delay for them entering service.

7 hours ago, coghilla said:

Thanks Hod Carrier & BrickHat. 

My early planning processes did include the pile driving unit, but it never got off the drawing board. I already had the Robel & the Plasser & Theurer units so adding them on the day was pretty easy, even if they do need some tweeking.

I redesigned the wagons last night and are now a lot more rigid & therefore stronger.

You're welcome! Looking forward to updates. :classic:

On 9/26/2016 at 6:38 PM, Hod Carrier said:

By the way, is there space on your model to add the steel safety wall at the side of the train? This is there to protect the workforce from train movements on the opposite line and is quite an obvious feature of this train.

HC I thought of that in the first stages of planning. other than fence panels I couldn't think of anything to replicate the look. Fortunately for my minifigs there is only one track so no risk of movements on an opposite . :classic:

On 9/27/2016 at 9:04 PM, Hod Carrier said:

Er, well...

When I say that I'm seeing the process for myself what I mean is that I'm seeing the structures going up. I've not seen the Factory Train itself along that stretch. It's like the fairies coming in the night and leaving signs of their visits.

I agree that you can't realistically model the entire Factory Train and I think that you've selected the right sections. Wagons carrying masts, piles, register arms, crew mess facilities and other structures aren't especially interesting and modelling the concrete pouring stage is perhaps a bit tricky. It's a shame you opted not to include the piling unit though, but as you're not modelling the piles either I guess that's fair enough.

At the risk of topic drift, the Great Western Mainline electrification is behind schedule. There are a number of reasons for this, but part of it is due to the piling unit. It simply isn't man enough to drive all the piles as far into the ground as needed and therefore the entire process cannot move as fast as planned. They should stand just a foot or two above the ground level so that the structures can be bolted onto them, but often you'll see them standing 12 or more feet proud meaning that Network Rail has to come back later with a more powerful piling unit to finish the job. Rumours suggest that the specification for diesel/electric hybrid Hitachi IEP trains that are intended to work this route has had to be altered with the train needing more diesel traction units than originally envisaged so that there is no delay for them entering service.

LOL @ fairies

Speaking of the piles, other than a column of 2x2 round bricks i'm not sure what could be used, but had a tinker without achieving anything last night. I guess now the last show is over the deadline to get it done is past (much like a school assignment) there isnt a hurry or stress..

I'll probably create the pile section of the display now, but not using a Windhoff MPV but rather a road/rail vehicle. I will keep you updated.