CM4Sci

[MOC] LEGO Store Mall of America

29301906373_e45cda069f_b.jpg 

Hello and welcome to The LEGO Store at the Mall of America in Bloomington, Minnesota! This happens to be my local LEGO Store and one of my favorite stores in the Mall of America. I have not seen anyone try to build this yet so I thought I'd try to be the first, and I think I did a pretty good job! I wanna apologize in advance for my really bad choice of background color.. didn't occur to me until typing this up how bad it hurts my eyes, ouch.

29928016445_7c7f206e14_b.jpg 

This project has been in the works for "2 years" - I started a thread when I originally started working on this, which you can view here. Back then I had an album full of photos from a trip to the store I used for reference. Since then the store has changed a lot, and the store still changes every now and then, so this might be a little inaccurate to the current state of the shop. This is my biggest MOC I've ever built! 

This giant model contains about 5,300 pieces and 8 minifigures. With plenty of giant models to see and sets on the shelves, this is a must-visit. The exterior has long white walls that all have the LEGO logo, along with some windows to display models of both official sets and MOCs from the local LEGO community. There are two giant LEGO murals on the left side. 

29813932782_67c81103f6.jpg 29813930882_546e023d27.jpg 

Of course, on top is The LEGO Hall of Heroes, which feature a dangerous duel between a sabretooth tiger and a warrior, a battle between a minotaur and a Greek soldier, a medieval king riding his horse, explorers researching the unknown,  a task force (no helicopter, unfortunately) and the massive Herobot 9000. Wrapping around the left side is Brickley, the LEGO dragon.

29813924042_80a7a6ce8f.jpg 29300735724_e632ce990a.jpg 29813936562_1b4cdbf73c_z.jpg 

Around the back side we have the giant windows you see when going down the escalator, that show D2Cs and above that show the history of the LEGO logo, which I unfortunately could not show on the model. The microbuilds for models like The Disney Castle, The Death Star, and Brick Bank were inspired by our very own KamalMYafi, whose builds I definitely recommend you check out. 

29813931762_1c9db7e9a4.jpg 

Up front we have the entrance with sliding doors and a giant LEGO logo. Walking inside and to the left, we have shelves of sets. These ones appear to be LEGO City and D2Cs, such as the Ghostbusters Firehouse HQ. Adjacent to that is more shelves of sets. Past a fire extinguisher is what originally was an empty room with a table which is now another checkout with more sets on shelves. These ones are Nexo Knights, Minecraft, and Ninjago. Also a statue of Olivia from LEGO Friends that has moved around the store every now and then. 

29300731514_02bc1bbd1c_b.jpg 

29813927662_ea0dc27080_b.jpg 

Past this is the Employees Only area. Nobody is really sure what goes on back there. Moving on, another fire extinguisher and more shelves of LEGO. These appear to be Creator and Star Wars. Next to the exit is the giant Pick-A-Brick wall. I've added in the Pick-A-Model cups and slots. In front of that is the small table that holds the PAB cups, and in the cupboards inside are VIP cards and other things. Then the checkout counters, which haven't had that big of a change since the 2014 build. In front are the rope barriers to form lines. In the actual store there's a small stand that holds keychains, CMF boxes, Mixels, and other non-set items. I tried to make this as small as I could while keeping everything the actual stand holds. 

29300737184_347eb11aed_z.jpg 29844716281_ba2862ff3c_c.jpg 

Moving onto the right half of the store, is a long, long long row of sets. Somewhere in the first third there is the augmented-reality thing called the Digital Box. Hold up your box to the camera and watch the finished build come to life right in front of you! There are stacks of Friends, Elves, Princesses, DC and Marvel Super Heroes, City, Angry Birds, and DUPLO. At the very end is BIONICLE. In front of BIONICLE is the 2x4 red brick that stands at the corner of the yellow. 

29300729224_6560f9d066_b.jpg 

Scattered around the store are various bins that hold CMF packets, things on clearance, and more. There are also Build-A-Minifig bins.

29300736504_291edf2ed7_b.jpg 

29813928562_297e2a39e8_b.jpg 

There are 8 fully custom minifigures I designed for this set. From left to right, we have four LEGO Store Employees, three which I have named Chloe, Katie, Matt, and Dan. The other four are a family that include a girl, boy, along with their mother and father. 

29814205802_910d12f16d_b.jpg 

Now it's time to leave the store! That wraps it up for now. This was a very very fun and very very challenging project. I want to thank certain members of this LEGO Store for helping me out and supporting this since the very start, and of course everyone else who has supported. If you wanna see bigger versions of the pictures they're available here in this Flickr album I whipped up

Thank you for looking! :laugh:

Edited by CM4Sci

It's nice to see it complete and in all it's glory! The smallest of details, down to the various color-coded set sections and the little 'tables', just reminds me of my many visits here. Great work!

You got the look just right. The display models inside and out look great. It is pretty much perfect. But I really expected one of the employees would be named Kevin.

This is probably my favorite MOC I have ever seen! I used to work at the store, and the names for the employees in my opinion should be from left to right, Caitlin, Liz, Kevin, and Randy, since unless Caitlin quit, the minifigs match up well with those employees. Is there a way I can get my hands on the design/instructions for this? I really want to build my own for my house, but I don't want to try building it just by looking at the pictures.

Wow this is spot on

I just pictures of the actual store and you totally nailed it

The micro version of the D2C sets are amazing

Great work. Congratulations :classic::thumbup:

I agree with everyone else, this is spot on, was just there in August and this is like looking at a replica of the store from each side, down to the outside, inside and the secret employee space and the giant pick a brick wall.  What struck me when seeing it was the open ceiling for a lot of it so you can see inside if you are on the 3rd floor food court.  Excellent work.