Bonaparte

Forum Upgrade

On 10/17/2016 at 9:00 PM, Flipz said:

Say, is there any chance the color of the "topic read" brick could be changed?  With the old icon, I could easily tell which topics I'd posted in had new posts and which ones couldn't, but now the colors are just similar enough to trip me up.  A minor gripe, to be sure, but it is frustrating, especially on desktop (my phone screen seems slightly better for differentiating those particular colors...or maybe it's just that I can hold it closer to my face and zoom in to see more clearly :blush:).

How are you reading the forums to see the topic read brick?

I'm clicking the Activity menu to see all new posts across all forums, and I don't see the bricks anymore.  On a related note, is there a way to combine replies by post when browsing Activity?  For instance, I just want to know there was new activity on the 2017 UCS thread.  I don't want to see all 15 replies.  I'd rather see them when I visit the thread.  This is how more like how the old New Content link worked.

11 hours ago, kibosh said:

How are you reading the forums to see the topic read brick?

I'm clicking the Activity menu to see all new posts across all forums, and I don't see the bricks anymore.  On a related note, is there a way to combine replies by post when browsing Activity?  For instance, I just want to know there was new activity on the 2017 UCS thread.  I don't want to see all 15 replies.  I'd rather see them when I visit the thread.  This is how more like how the old New Content link worked.

Firstly, the bricks are there if you browse the subforum, in the activity feeds you see circles and stars instead.

Secondly, if you click on "activity", "unread content" then use the following options you should get as close to the old way as possible: "show me: items only" "content types: all content" "read status: unread" "ownership: everything" "following: everything" "time period: since my last visit" "sorting: newest first"

The limitation with that is if you click back from a topic to the unread content feed again, that topic disappears from the list. Unlike the old forum where it still sat there but appeared as read. A bit annoying really, but I haven't been able to find a way around it.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but you can create custom activity feeds. Go to Activity > My Activity Streams > Create New Stream. When you set it up as follows, don't you get something comparable to what you were used to?

Show me: Content only
Clicking unread Items: Take me to the first unread comment
Content type: Topics
Read status: Everything
Ownership: Everything
Following: Everything
Time period: Any time

You can even make this feed your default feed (making it appear in the top-right corner of every page, where "Unread content" is by default) by ticking the checkmark next to the feed title when you click on the feed.

640x360.jpg640x360.jpg

Is it possible to bring back the old top bar? It is very hard to see what is written there :/

Also , when I quote a post it is very hard to write on top of the quote because it appears in a window

Is the BBcode turnable on? For me it is very hard to work with the self inserting images and all that. With the BBcode everything was dead simple :sad:

Noticed later: HOW am I supposed to write out of this stupid box ?!?!? I written the spoiler tags before and after the images , not after the text, and now it posted everything inside the spoiler !!!!:angry:

Edited by LXF
Stupid editor not working properly :/

Is there a way to hide/remove sidebar on the right of Forum front page? The one with "Frontpage News" and "Recent Topics".

3 hours ago, zux said:

Is there a way to hide/remove sidebar on the right of Forum front page? The one with "Frontpage News" and "Recent Topics".

This is a test we are doing and it's not yet sure if it will stay or not.

Do you not like it?

1 hour ago, Bonaparte said:

Do you not like it?

In my case (I use 1280px width monitor) forum's main page has no extra free space on the sides, so additional toolbar shrinks the the content. 

I find the toolbar useless for myself. Front page news are already announced in the forum and clearly seen on "Frontpage News" section. Another thing is that "News" section isn't updated so frequently you would need to keep it visible all the time not to miss something. 

Not sure if other members do the same, but I'm interested in fairly limited amount of subforums. Keeping track of all recent topics is not needed.

1 hour ago, zux said:

I find the toolbar useless for myself. Front page news are already announced in the forum and clearly seen on "Frontpage News" section. Another thing is that "News" section isn't updated so frequently you would need to keep it visible all the time not to miss something. 

I fully agree with that. Don't see any added benefit with the toolbar - it just clutters up the layout.

Another thing I noticed: The error that Captain Braunsfeld reported a week ago is back - I can't access the Portal's follow-up pages.

Once again, many thanks to all the staff members who are sacrificing their time to get things running! I guess you didn't suppose that the upgrade would be that difficult...

I think having the recent posts sidebar in the forum makes it easier to spot and report spam.

I agree with the previous posters... The sidebar does nothing for me. Having written that, I don't have anything against it either. All things considered, though... I'd say can it!

Edited by Rotundus

14 hours ago, Bonaparte said:

Do you not like it?

I do not like it.

I actually really like the sidebar. Most of the time, I don't have the time to check all the various sub forums to see any news or updates, so I think it can be quite beneficial and useful to hear about any upcoming topics, contests etc. 

4 hours ago, Takanuinuva said:

I'd like an option to be able to hide it. That way those who like it can keep it but those who don't can remove it.

This is a good idea.  I personally find it distracting, and would love to be able to disable it while still allowing those that like it to keep it.

I also find the sidebar to be distracting and space-taking.  The portal seems to me like the place for this type of list with news and recent topics.  With the portal link, this sidebar seems unnecessary.

Leaving the sidebar with the ability to hide it seems like a good option, if the software easily allows for such a thing.

@Bonaparte hello... For some reason I could not remove the tagging. I am not supposed to input your username but I could not remove it. I tried many times but the editor is not cooperating.

Anyway, on a side note... Am I the only one who accidentally presses the sign out button on mobile even if the intent is to show the notifications?

Edited by makoy
Tried removing the tagging... still can't edit and remove...

@makoy, why can't you remove the tag? When I hit backspace, tags are removed as well.

1 hour ago, Rick said:

@makoy, why can't you remove the tag? When I hit backspace, tags are removed as well.

I don't know. The reply form remembers the last thing I typed here but I don't. So the moment I came back here I forgot why I was tagging so I tried to remove it but when I hit backspace on my phone, it doesn't remove the tag. I am on Android when I was doing that. Not sure if it was the editor or Chrome misbehaving.

I tried one more time to remove the tagging from my phone and just like last time i could not remove it. However, as I have access in my Windows 10 laptop now I can edit the post above, press back and remove the tagging. I know it's weird but I am just sharing that no matter much I like the new post editor there are times it is not behaving perfectly.

Edited by makoy

On 24/10/2016 at 8:27 AM, Slegengr said:

I also find the sidebar to be distracting and space-taking.  The portal seems to me like the place for this type of list with news and recent topics.  With the portal link, this sidebar seems unnecessary.

Leaving the sidebar with the ability to hide it seems like a good option, if the software easily allows for such a thing.

Agree. 

I'd like to be able to hide it because it looks kinda messy

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

Agree. 

I'd like to be able to hide it because it looks kinda messy

I decided l also don't like the look of the sidebar, so I removed it.

I realized it is rather redundant with the Activity tab in the browse menu.

14 minutes ago, Bonaparte said:

Thank you

It looks a lot better :thumbup:

2 hours ago, Bonaparte said:

That is good news.  Thanks!

Dunno if it's been mentioned but when I bookmark the INDEX, with all the different subforums, on my iPhone or iPad it'll change back to the front page after a while, which i don't exactly want. I've had to redo it a few times and it keeps happening. 

Using Safari, obviously... I think those are all the needed details :wink: